RD Timothy Liljegren - Ex-Rogle BK, SHL (2017, 17th, TOR) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
he has been the marlies best dmen on a couple occasions that I have seen.
for an 18 year old kid that is the youngest player in the league by 2 years thats impressive.

this looks like its gonna be one of those cases of dmen who should have been taken much higher, but werent (Chychrun, McAvoy, and Carlo come to mind)
He went right where he was supposed to and he hasn't shown enough to jump up that much in the draft. He's off to a good start but it's nothing compared to what Tolvanen and Chytil are doing.

Reactions: McClelland

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He went right where he was supposed to and he hasn't shown enough to jump up that much in the draft. He's off to a good start but it's nothing compared to what Tolvanen and Chytil are doing.

If he has the best season for an 18 year old defenseman in the AHL I would say that is something.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
he has been the marlies best dmen on a couple occasions that I have seen.
for an 18 year old kid that is the youngest player in the league by 2 years thats impressive.

this looks like its gonna be one of those cases of dmen who should have been taken much higher, but werent (Chychrun, McAvoy, and Carlo come to mind)

He's not the youngest player in the AHL league. Chytil is about 6 months younger than him.

edit: Klim Kostin is also younger than him.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Sounds like he had a better game than the first. Nice to hear he was very physical, a smarter Gardiner/Borgman would be great.

Since he's 18, he can play WJC next year, right?

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
It was ridiculous how overhyped he was in the summer. People here were talking about how he had more offensive potential than Dahlin based on their production in the SHL at the same age and calling him the steal of the draft the moment he fell for the Leafs. He went where he should've behind Heiskanen, Makar, Välimäki and Brännström. Could be argued whether he is a better prospect than Foote though.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It was ridiculous how overhyped he was in the summer. People here were talking about how he had more offensive potential than Dahlin based on their production in the SHL at the same age and calling him the steal of the draft the moment he fell for the Leafs. He went where he should've behind Heiskanen, Makar, Välimäki and Brännström. Could be argued whether he is a better prospect than Foote though.
No actually he was under hyped in the summer, or else he wouldn't have gone at 17. Doing good in the AHL as the league's youngest defenceman is about as much as you can ask from a mid first rounder. I'd argue based on club play, the only one on your list that's clearly had a better draft +1 season is Heiskanen. When you don't watch Marlies games, I suppose you reach conclusions like these though.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
No actually he was under hyped in the summer, or else he wouldn't have gone at 17. Doing good in the AHL as the league's youngest defenceman is about as much as you can ask from a mid first rounder. I'd argue based on club play, the only one on your list that's clearly had a better draft +1 season is Heiskanen. When you don't watch Marlies games, I suppose you reach conclusions like these though.
It's that damn mono!

Doesn't Bracco have it now?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

I've never seen anyone say he was better than Dahlin nor have more offensive upside and I routine the Leafs boards frequently. And we certainly have our fair share of extremists.

And I'd still take him above Makar (see my thoughts on him all draft year), Valimaki (ceiling is lower but I liked him a lot, would have taken him after Liljgeren if Flames went that way- was praying he'd drop to us all draft night, along with Liljegren- was even posting as such in the draft thread on team board), Brannstrom (never been impressed, he's very slight and his tools are not enough to make up the gap) easily as of today. But I also would easily take Heiskanen over Liljegren still, just think he covers so much ground defensively, his hockey IQ is high and he doesn't have much weaknesses- save perhaps his absolute offensive ceiling.

Basically, my thoughts since before the draft have not changed.

Reactions: 4thline and 93LEAFS

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Overhyped by fans. In this tournament he overall hasn't been worthy of the hype he's been getting. Looks like a potential middle pairing offensive d, nothing more really. Makar and Brännström looked as advertised, offensively more gifted than him. I haven't watched Välimäki since the u18s in 2016, but he is a freaking beast out there and has bomb of a shot.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Overhyped by fans. In this tournament he overall hasn't been worthy of the hype he's been getting. Looks like a potential middle pairing offensive d, nothing more really. Makar and Brännström looked as advertised, offensively more gifted than him. I haven't watched Välimäki since the u18s in 2016, but he is a freaking beast out there and has bomb of a shot.
Well that's a problem. You can't watch players for 2 games then make these observations with accuracy. He was pretty good today, playing physical and moving the puck well. The fact that he has hands, great skating and a powerful shot are a bonus for his offensive toolset. If we look at the more meaningful sample size of club play for each this season, he's been better than Brannstrom, Valimaki, and Makar.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

He hasn't been great but nothing I've seen from Makar and Brannstrom make me think they have been that much better, save putting up some a few points on the stats sheet. Which makes me think your creating a narrative that doesn't seem to exist. Brannstrom wasn't very noticeable today besides getting primetime minutes next to Dahlin. Liljegren only played roughly ~13 minutes, had a number of nice controlled entries, few nice open-ice hits, and a nice stretch pass that resulted in a goal. He's been pretty good transitioning the puck but I've seen him be a bit more dynamic in open ice which makes me think he's been slightly underwhelming to date. None the less, I don't think there's anything negative to be said about his simple effective game so far. The reality is, no single player really dominated tonight's game except probably Zadina on the other-end and Nylander (at times, but also very lazy at times, otherwise I would have said he was the player of the game) looked very dangerous with the puck.

Dahlin showcased the best tools but didn't look particularly impactful, I would say. Though his tools were enough to make everyone fawn over his talent- which is fair.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
He was good last night, my oponion on him is pending so much, looks really good one game and looks like Kylington 2.0 the other (good skating, creative but awful decisions)

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Well that's a problem. You can't watch players for 2 games then make these observations with accuracy. He was pretty good today, playing physical and moving the puck well. The fact that he has hands, great skating and a powerful shot are a bonus for his offensive toolset. If we look at the more meaningful sample size of club play for each this season, he's been better than Brannstrom, Valimaki, and Makar.
I admit my sample size is quite small, I'll give him more looks. Hasn't called him a bust or anything, but overall he hasn't been as good as advertised. And about his club play: is he really doing that much better than the mentioned players? I always take AHL scoring with a grain of salt. Scoring there is way higher than in high tier European leagues.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Quote those people then. I have been following this thread the entire time and nobody has said anything of this sort. You are just pulling this crap out of your ***.

Also most fanbases when they get a player with great tools think that player can be the "steal of the draft". Avs fans are really high on Makar as are Flames fans with Valimaki, maybe you should go tell them to turn down the hype.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Quote those people then. I have been following this thread the entire time and nobody has said anything of this sort. You are just pulling this crap out of your ***.
There were definitely posts about Liljegren's draft -2 season production vs Dahlin's -2 with posts like "does Dahlin really have more offensive potential?" "Liljegren can CQ the PP better" etc. I have no motivation to go the last thread and trying desperately find them though. Call me a bullshitter then, I don't really care.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He hasn't been great but nothing I've seen from Makar and Brannstrom make me think they have been that much better, save putting up some a few points on the stats sheet. Which makes me think your creating a narrative that doesn't seem to exist. Brannstrom wasn't very noticeable today besides getting primetime minutes next to Dahlin. Liljegren only played roughly ~13 minutes, had a number of nice controlled entries, few nice open-ice hits, and a nice stretch pass that resulted in a goal. He's been pretty good transitioning the puck but I've seen him be a bit more dynamic in open ice which makes me think he's been slightly underwhelming to date. None the less, I don't think there's anything negative to be said about his simple effective game so far.

Makar and Barannstrom have not been hyped or sold on as badly or as hard as LIljegren. His fanbase have been selling us on him for the past 3 months. But if it makes you feel better about Liljegren because you think Makar and Barannstrom isn't that much better that's up to you.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
There were definitely posts about Liljegren's draft -2 season production vs Dahlin's -2 with posts like "does Dahlin really have more offensive potential?" "Liljegren can CQ the PP better" etc. I have no motivation to go the last thread and trying desperately find them though. Call me a bull****ter then, I don't really care.
So nothing but your word then? Yeah I am going to call bull**** on that.
Makar and Barannstrom have not been hyped or sold on as badly or as hard as LIljegren. His fanbase have been selling us on him for the past 3 months. But if it makes you feel better about Liljegren because you think Makar and Barannstrom isn't that much better that's up to you.
Reminds me of the time when Canucks fans tried to sell Virtanen as being much better than Nylander and Ehlers. I believe that sell job lasted about a year and a half till he crapped the bed hard at the WJC. I will be worried when Liljegren has an all time awful WJC in his draft +2 season.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Here is the shift by shift play of Lilly
1st Period
1st Shift: In the defensive zone, where he hit his man against the boards after the puck went by them. As Sweden breaks through the neutral zone, he joins, but the player with the puck is stopped just after the red line, however he gets the puck back and makes a short pass to Lilly who dumps it in, and heads off for the change
2nd Shift: Just after the powerplay, he receives a pass at a pretty decentposition, and his wrist shot goes wide. After the faceoff, his wrist shot goes wide all though that might have beenintentional. A kind of 1 on 1 emerges after Sweden turns the puck at the opposing blue line. However the player loses the puck as he is going at Lilly, and they get into a kind of battle for position, but Lilly does a good job and knocks the puck away to the back of the net. Lilly gets the puck almost behind the net and with a forechcking player coming, he calmly passes the puck using theboards to an open teammate. Lilly has the puck behind his own net, and makes a nice stretch pass which soon after results in a goal. Great accuracy and vision by Lilly there.
3rd Shift: The puck comes to him in a dangerous position in his own zone, and with traffic around him, he flicks thepuck away out of danger to the side boards.
4th Shift: He gets the puck in his ownzone, and with room, he skates the puckthrough the neutral zone, but just after crossing the red line, the puck slides off his stick but inside the Czech zone, he gets the puck back and gets a decent shot away that is saved. Later, he getsthe puck deep in the attacking zone and passes back to the point, but there is nobody there.
5th Shift: With Sweden breaking the puck out, Lilly joins in and gets the puck and while meneuvering slides the puck in the zone and goes in on the forecheck. He then gets a small hit on the d man. He then goes back to his position on the point, and receives apass and shoots a one timer that is blocked.
2nd Period:
6th Shift: Near the side of the net, he blocks a pass that looked to be going in front of the net using his legs. At near the back boards, he slides the puckusing the side boards that is cut off by the Czech player. He has the puck behind his own net and skates it through the and makes a move around his own blueline area, and during that,and with more traffic around him, he makes a short pass to his teammate just outside the opposing blueline andheads to the front of the net. Nice puck control shown by Lilly there.
7th Shift: A bit of an uneventful shift for Lilly
8th Shift: A pass to his D partner as they look to exit the zone. In his own zone, a Czech player 1 on 1 against Lilly as he looks to get a pathway to shoot, but Lilly is in good position and the player loses the puck. Lilly looks for an outlet pass later on that goes for icing.
9th Shift: Pinches up at the red line and gets a pretty good hit on the Czech player. About 5 seconds later, he gets a little touch on the puck with traffic, as then his teammate puts the around the back of the net.
10th Shift: He makes an outlet pass that misses it's target, but still reaches another teammate. He gets a pass and skates past the red line,
and lets a wrist shot go before the blue line that is easily saved. Later on in the defensive zone, he gets speared in a sensitive area, and was in obvious discomfort as he is down on the ice.
11th Shift: Takes a holding penalty
3rd Period
12th Shift: Just after the faceoff, as a Czech player is coming, Lilly instead of backing off, makes a solid read to be aggressive and takes away the space of the Czech player, and pokes the puckaway to his own end, and goes after it and plays it around the net to a teammate on the other side. Later on,he makes another aggressive play by pinching at the opposing blue line, and gets a pretty good hit on the Czech player. Some very good decisions by Lilly on this shift.
13th Shift: Not much here. Lilly with a breakout pass to a forward who tips it in.Czech player has the puck near the side boards in Sweden's zone, he tries to get through Lilly, but Lilly has none of it and he pokes the puck to the boards.
14th Shift: Czechs with a good chance. They get the puck by one of the Sweden players near the side boards, and because of that Lilly is caught in a tough position. He tries to prevent the pass across but isn't able to, fortuntly though, one of his teammates ties up the Czech player to prevent him from taking the pass. Lilly then rushes the puck across the neutral zone and easily gets by oneof Czech players, but he trips and while on the ice, slides the puck in the zone. A little bit after that, Lilly takes a shot from the right point that is saved. Lilly has the puck behind the net, and with a Czech player beside him , easily turns away, waits, and then makes a pass to a forward in his own zone. Lilly gets it back and carries to centre ice before lifting it in the zone.
15th Shift: A powerplay shift and his last one of the game. Some side to side movement by Lilly, some passes, and had a couple shots.
He had a solid, simple, efficient game.He was good defensively, didn't really run around in his own zone. His reads overall in all facets were very good throughout the game.
Thoughts on other players
Dahlin is going to be great. The way he is confident in moving the puck, and how he can escape danger when he is getting pressured.
Brannstorm wasn't very good I thought. He had a lot of turnovers especially in his own zone. He seems to be a playerthat takes lots of risks. There is a lot of work he needs in his game. Right now its clear Lilly is the better player.

Reactions: mavis

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He had a solid, simple, efficient game. He was good defensively, didn't really run around in his own zone. Had a couple of big hits as well. His reads overall in all facets were very good throughout the game.
He still has more to give. He is a lot more dynamic then he showed in this case, but the great thing is he still played a safe game. If you arent being dynamic offensively as you usually are, you better be reliable which he was.

Reactions: Raymoondo

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
He's going to be the best D of the draft. Salt from some random Finnish fan doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Dahlin hasn't looked otherworldly, yet he's going 1st overall for sure. Boeser was trash at the WJC's, and he's one of the league's top goal scorers right now. If you judge a player's future impact on a WJC tournament, then you probably aren't very intelligent. You probably pegged Cody Hodgson as a future 1C.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
So nothing but your word then? Yeah I am going to call bull**** on that.
He is not bullshitting you. Now I don't remember whether there was actually more than one people who believed Liljegren having more offensive potential than Dahlin but there was definately a small debate on that matter, mostly based on how Liljegren has better shot and moves better on the blueline.

EDIT: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ld-rasmus-dahlin-frolunda-hc-shl-2018-draft.2053319/page-32

Offensively speaking, I'd say Liljegren actually has the better overall tools and higher ceiling in that regard. Better shot, he's a better skater, and he's always looking to create.

Dahlin has the better hands and closes gaps off better and he's also quite good offensively speaking, just not as good as Liljegren. Dahlin is a more sure bet to be a two way, all around D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyisl1fe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad