RD Seamus Casey - Univ. of Michigan (2022, 46th, NJD)

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He needs to make his stamp right now before he gots lost in the Hughes/Pesce return to play.

Glad to hear he is making the most of the opportunity.

Kovacevic is making things even harder because he's been great too. Pesce seems like he could be back Thursday and if not it'll be really soon. Personally if I had to take a D out of the lineup to insert Pesce it'd definitely be Nemec right now. That's something I don't think they do though so you'd probably have to go 7D. I'm not taking out either Casey or Kovacevic.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I’m honestly super impressed with this kid. He doesn’t really have any sort of flaws that stand out unlike for example Hutson. He reminds me of like Scott Niedermayer.

Casey, Buium, L. Hughes, Yakemchuk will be the next upcoming crops of elite defenseman imo. NJ’s defense will be insane.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Kovacevic is making things even harder because he's been great too. Pesce seems like he could be back Thursday and if not it'll be really soon. Personally if I had to take a D out of the lineup to insert Pesce it'd definitely be Nemec right now. That's something I don't think they do though so you'd probably have to go 7D. I'm not taking out either Casey or Kovacevic.
Nice problem to have! I think many have been sleeping on Casey but not for much longer.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Corey Pronman discussed on his last podcast of the idea that NJ could maybe trade someone like Nemec for a top young forward if a team is in need of a top young D. The example given was a team like the Sharks.

If Casey keeps playing like this and pushes for a spot it will definitely make things interesting.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Corey Pronman discussed on his last podcast of the idea that NJ could maybe trade someone like Nemec for a top young forward if a team is in need of a top young D. The example given was a team like the Sharks.

If Casey keeps playing like this and pushes for a spot it will definitely make things interesting.

I think that's a bad idea which doesn't really surprise me much since it's Pronman. Luke/Casey/Silayev/Nemec can be an absurd top 4. It has the potential to match the insane Nashville PK/Ellis/Ekholm/Josi top 4 that got to a final without stars up front.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
There's a few reasons.

Biggest one being one was drafted by the Habs and the other the Devils. Hutson also got a couple of NHL games already and looked really good

Also Hutson got the primary offensive duties in their DY together on the NTDP so he produced more as a result while Casey was in more of a two way role. Then in the NCAA Hutson has 2 years of insane offensive results. Casey was behind Luke his freshman year so again had a more limited offensive role which resulted in still great but much more modest offensive totals than Hutson. After a couple years of playing second fiddle to Hutson and Luke, Casey finally got to be the guy leading the way on the backend and his offensive totals exploded as a result but still didn't quite match what Hutson did.

I also think Hutson just plays a more fun, aggressive, and flashier offensive style than Casey does. Both had 2 tremendous years in the NCAA. Idk who ends up better long term. Hutson's going to get the bigger role in the NHL since he'll have less competition which will likely lead to him continuing to be viewed higher. I personally like Casey more because he's better on the defensive side while still bringing a ton offensively.
Right but I think Casey’s thicker build and more explosive first few steps will make his game translate to the NHL better. It’s crazy how quick this kid can change directions, a very useful skill for opening up lanes in the offensive zone and trapping forcheckers in the defensive zone.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I watched the 2 games, this guy is good, congrats Devils, they look to have quite the team.

He's small, so as a young player, he'll need to be sheltered defensively, and used in mainly offensive situations, but every team can have 1 guy like that.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I watched the 2 games, this guy is good, congrats Devils, they look to have quite the team.

He's small, so as a young player, he'll need to be sheltered defensively, and used in mainly offensive situations, but every team can have 1 guy like that.

I don't think you need to shelter him much because while he's undersized he still knows how to properly defend.

Reactions: DVision44

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

It is a good problem to have, but I'd be really upset if we traded Nemec. It would have to be an absolute fortune in return.

A good problem to have.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Rafalski couldn’t skate like that. Casey actually seems like he might have a similar IQ as him though, which is a massive compliment.

Casey has elite edges for sure but Rafalski was no slouch as a skater, either, even though Casey is better. They're just very similar players stylistically. Not ideal size (hopefully Casey gets to Rafalski's stockiness as he matures) but they play with excellent leverage, both extremely high IQ guys, both are very well rounded even though at times they were/are pigeon-holed as offensive guys only (that's how you can tell who hasn't followed Casey during his NTDP and Michigan days), a lot of folks miss or don't appreciate the understated plays they make, etc. I'm still baffled by people who acted like Casey was a mini-Mike Green when he's been very good in his own end in his young career.

Raalaski is one of the criminally underrated players of his era. He's a HOF player if he had a shot in the league before he was 26 (and done well with it) and didn't deal with all the injuries at the end of his career. And I know Devils fans know this but if he even scratches the surface of Rafalski's career the Devils struck gold again.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I knew his skating would be good, but man... He's not far off Bratt or the Hughes' skating ability already.

Very exciting player.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I don't doubt that. I'm just saying like any young offensive defenseman, especially if small, he won't be on the ice when McDavid, Matthews, etc, are out there. I bet he didn't see much Tage Thompson in these games.
That's what Pesce, DIllon, Siegs, Nemec (more so as he develops), and Kovacevic are for, and then eventually Silayev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad