RD Seamus Casey - Univ. of Michigan (2022, 46th, NJD)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
He seemed to be a bit polarizing. Those who liked him though seemed to really like him
Yeah, some scouts I talked to had him as low as a mid-round pick and thought I was crazy (fair enough). I can't find anyone that had him higher than me...though, I passed up an opportunity to ask one person in particular who might have me beat (he was around other teams' scouts, so I showed some restraint haha).

In any case, let's not pop open any champagne just yet...he still has 0 pro games, but he's tracking exactly how I was expecting...which is awesome.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yeah, some scouts I talked to had him as low as a mid-round pick and thought I was crazy (fair enough). I can't find anyone that had him higher than me...though, I passed up an opportunity to ask one person in particular who might have me beat (he was around other teams' scouts, so I showed some restraint haha).

In any case, let's not pop open any champagne just yet...he still has 0 pro games, but he's tracking exactly how I was expecting...which is awesome.

@WhiskeyYerTheDevils had him as his top D and top 5 IIRC.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I’d take this guy over Lane Hutson. Not sure way Hutson is more hyped

There's a few reasons.

Biggest one being one was drafted by the Habs and the other the Devils. Hutson also got a couple of NHL games already and looked really good

Also Hutson got the primary offensive duties in their DY together on the NTDP so he produced more as a result while Casey was in more of a two way role. Then in the NCAA Hutson has 2 years of insane offensive results. Casey was behind Luke his freshman year so again had a more limited offensive role which resulted in still great but much more modest offensive totals than Hutson. After a couple years of playing second fiddle to Hutson and Luke, Casey finally got to be the guy leading the way on the backend and his offensive totals exploded as a result but still didn't quite match what Hutson did.

I also think Hutson just plays a more fun, aggressive, and flashier offensive style than Casey does. Both had 2 tremendous years in the NCAA. Idk who ends up better long term. Hutson's going to get the bigger role in the NHL since he'll have less competition which will likely lead to him continuing to be viewed higher. I personally like Casey more because he's better on the defensive side while still bringing a ton offensively.

Last edited:

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
It should be a max 2 years before there’s a spot opened and he’ll only be 22 then. Dougie should have 2 years max left here. Really shouldn’t be keeping him beyond summer 2026 as you really shouldn’t be paying 3D 8+ mil. They’ve got some time to figure things out. I definitely think he could play this year but playing most of the year in the AHL playing a ton of minutes would also be good for him. Siegs had a really rough year last year so with another poor year they probably move on from him which opens up a spot. If Siegs is good again then maybe you run out 7D when healthy in 25-26 to get Casey in the lineup. I think Casey could be a F/D hybrid as well that year. Whatever happens you just figure it out when the time comes rather than move on from him early as it’s not going to be long before he’s in there full time.
I think moving Dougie should be targeted as soon as this upcoming off-season. Give him a healthy season to showcase. Let Hughes take PP1 in the second half of the season when he's fully in groove after injury. He will be 32 heading into next season, and while tremendous player, at that age his huge caphit starts to make other teams nervous, even with a couple years left only. He will get a greater return the sooner he is traded. It also gives the team the room to negotiate Luke extension. Have Casey get an AHL season in, and if all goes well he should be ready to step into an NHL role full time.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think moving Dougie should be targeted as soon as this upcoming off-season. Give him a healthy season to showcase. Let Hughes take PP1 in the second half of the season when he's fully in groove after injury. He will be 32 heading into next season, and while tremendous player, at that age his huge caphit starts to make other teams nervous, even with a couple years left only. He will get a greater return the sooner he is traded. It also gives the team the room to negotiate Luke extension. Have Casey get an AHL season in, and if all goes well he should be ready to step into an NHL role full time.

Casey already looks like he might be an NHLer and not need the AHL year. If he does I think that makes it a lot easier to move Dougie next summer rather than the following because you’ll have a more concrete idea of what Casey is rather than him spending the year in the AHL and not being sure what you’d be replacing Dougie with. I think we should still have the room for Luke’s extension next year and keeping Dougie. Especially with Gritsyuk likely coming in next year as a middle 6er on an ELC. If Casey balls out then yeah move on from Dougie next summer and focus the space up front. Idk if we’ll really get value back on Dougie. Especially with only being able to move him to 10 teams. Like sure you obviously would prefer something back but I really don’t care if we moved on from him for nothing as long as we don’t have to retain anything.

Reactions: KaraLupin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad