RD Logan Hensler - USNTDP, USHL (2025 Draft)

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
He reminds me of Seabrook in how heavy his shot is. Better skater than Seabrook was, but he'll be entering a better skating league. I don't think Hensler's game is there yet in terms of putting it all together, but he has all of the attributes to be a top pairing NHLer. If he takes a step forward next year, can see him top 5, otherwise more 5-15 range type of prospect.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’m honestly pretty shocked Hensler didn’t decommit from Wisconsin. I’ve been assuming he would for months but nothing.
He committed to Wisconsin after Hastings was hired. Why would he de-commit? Cause all Granato’s guys left?
I would have liked to see him at Michigan, North Dakota, or Minnesota, in that order.
Gross.
Prepare to fall asleep
Wisconsin plays the exact same way Minnesota does.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Why do you think Wisconsin is a poor choice?
Wisconsin’s new regime has a reputation of chasing older players and Hensler may struggle to earn minutes. Kunin, Turcotte, Stramel and others have hurt Wisconsins reputation a bit - even if that is an unfair assertion as it crosses several coaches and systems. I also think that @Obvious Fabertism is a bit of a Gopher homer like myself

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Wisconsin’s new regime has a reputation of chasing older players and Hensler may struggle to earn minutes. Kunin, Turcotte, Stramel and others have hurt Wisconsins reputation a bit - even if that is an unfair assertion as it crosses several coaches and systems. I also think that @Obvious Fabertism is a bit of a Gopher homer like myself
The positive is Hensler is better on paper than most of their right shot D on the roster. But if/when he makes mistakes, will Hastings be willing to stomach those and keep playing him? That's what we're all interested to see.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Dexheimer is pretty good, but if Hensler can't beat out what Wisconsin has for top 4 / pp1 minutes, then he's not a top tier prospect. It really is that simple. If we truly are talking about a franchise defenseman here, then Hensler should be one of the better players in the country, or at the very least, the B10.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Thanks. Appreciate the insight. My knowledge of the U.S. college scene is weak.

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
Dexheimer is pretty good, but if Hensler can't beat out what Wisconsin has for top 4 / pp1 minutes, then he's not a top tier prospect. It really is that simple. If we truly are talking about a franchise defenseman here, then Hensler should be one of the better players in the country, or at the very least, the B10.
Hensler really isn’t a natural powerplay QB so I imagine Dexheimer (who is a natural powerplay qb at the collegiate level) keeps that role.

That being said, I think the concerns about Hastings are significantly overblown. It’s not as though guys like Lucius, Finley, and Whitelaw didn’t play at all last year. Hensler has a clear path to a top 4 role on this Wisconsin roster and I’d be floored if he doesn’t get it

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Hensler really isn’t a natural powerplay QB so I imagine Dexheimer (who is a natural powerplay qb at the collegiate level) keeps that role.

That being said, I think the concerns about Hastings are significantly overblown. It’s not as though guys like Lucius, Finley, and Whitelaw didn’t play at all last year. Hensler has a clear path to a top 4 role on this Wisconsin roster and I’d be floored if he doesn’t get it
From the games I saw, Lucius played a ton. I think his departure is likely more to do with his own decision. Finley plays a translatable bottom 6 game, and he's quite happy playing for his home state program. Whitelaw seemed to lose minutes at times, so I'm not surprised he left.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019

That's fair. Top 4 / pp time. Hensler was never going to be the go to offensive guy from the backend with the '06s so hopefully he has more to show offensively.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I am a former Gopher STH, but I am also a UW alum, I'll just say that I know very few student athletes that came from the MN suburbs that excelled in Madison and leave it at that. The current hockey coaching staff is not my concern for him.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I am a former Gopher STH, but I am also a UW alum, I'll just say that I know very few student athletes that came from the MN suburbs that excelled in Madison and leave it at that. The current hockey coaching staff is not my concern for him.
I’m not following you at all. What exactly are you trying to say, that Wisconsin is prejudiced against Minnesotans?

Last year’s team had Lucius, Dexheimer, Palodichuk, and Whitelaw all perform well as Minnesotans.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I’m not following you at all. What exactly are you trying to say, that Wisconsin is prejudiced against Minnesotans?

Last year’s team had Lucius, Dexheimer, Palodichuk, and Whitelaw all perform well as Minnesotans.
Or ... that they party too hard? I also struggled with the wording.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad