RD Henry Mews - Ottawa 67's, OHL (2024, 74th, CGY)

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
His Hlinka was good. I'd give him a B+.

I think Mews is talented. Great skater and has skill from the backend. I think he reads the game well. Sometimes the execution isn't there. Defensive game is inconsistent. I'm looking for improvements in those two areas and I think he has a chance to be a top 5 pick. 6-10 is more likely his range. I feel comfortable saying Mews has top pairing upside, but his game still needs some work for him to get there.
Thank you

Thank you
What would be an early nhl comparable in your opinion?

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
1692115533106.jpeg

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
61 points in 65 GP
40 non-PP points
12 ES goals
1+4 PK points
RHD
Not a giant, but not too small for modern NHL
Based on Hlinka-Gretzky streams and OHL highlights, plays smart and simple pro-style game.

And: no one talks about him, he’s outside of 1st round in half of rankings.

So, what’s wrong with him? Is skating the problem? Maybe 67’s fans is here?

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
61 points in 65 GP
40 non-PP points
12 ES goals
1+4 PK points
RHD
Based on Hlinka-Gretzky streams and OHL highlights, plays smart and simple pro-style game.

Consistency has been a bit of an issue throughout the season. Runs the risk of going from hot to cold out of nowhere and he's not an elite offensive player or defensively strong enough to make him a top-line defender, which may scare some people off. He's a borderline R1 guy but I see him as someone who should high R2. Does have a chance to be a breakout player next year if his game can take a jump.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
61 points in 65 GP
40 non-PP points
12 ES goals
1+4 PK points
RHD

Smallish for a defenseman, not great defensively, offense doesn’t pop. Certainly worthy of an early 2nd round pick but not huge upside or high floor. Potential bottom pairing PMD unless he takes a big step forward in his D+1 IMO.

Reactions: ValeriKamensky

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
61 points in 65 GP
40 non-PP points
12 ES goals
1+4 PK points
RHD

I'm a 67s fan and watch the majority of Mews' games.

The most noticeable thing about his game is his effortless skating. He can move the puck up the ice quickly by carrying it, or making smart, accurate passes up his forwards. Skating is certainly not the problem; in fact, its his best attribute.

Defensively, he isn't good. He's mistake-prone (for example, making bad pinches without support at the blueline, resulting in breakaways/odd-man rushes, or getting passes picked off while going cross-ice to his partner at the blue line). I would expect those mistakes to course correct with maturity/experience. In his own zone he is not positionally sound and he can be exploited off the cycle. Has a tendency to get walked every couple of games too.

Since the OHL trade deadline he has played on Ottawa 2nd PP unit, so the point production is well-earned. It was around that time that he got paired with a stay-at-home 19-yr old veteran and his game settled down nicely at that point, and gave him more opportunity to skate with the puck and try and create offensively. He has a good shot and has scored some big goals for the 67s. That's probably where the consistency thing comes in, as many/most 67s fans weren't really happy with his play in the first half of the season but has turned it around in the second half (acknowledging that he still makes mistakes).

I feel like he's a 2nd rounder overall.

Reactions: ValeriKamensky

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Sam Mayer getting all the glory for scoring both a hattrick and Gordie Howe hattrick in the 6-5 OT win vs Brantford and people will quickly forget about all of his turnovers in this game including the one that led to the Vanacker goal.

However, quietly, Henry Mews was the real matchwinner. Two point game for him as well and just a standout very clean and polished performance overall in a wild game that was the exact opposite. His play against the puck wasn't always ideal this season or in this series but if he can play like tonight more often then he's gonna be a good one. Certainly has all the tools.

Highly underrated prospect I feel. Not a lot of talk around him. Would go in the first round in most other years but in this year it's gonna be tough. If he keeps on playing like tonight then he probably should though.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
First rounder for me. Not the exact same player, but his storyline reminds me a little of Luneau. Talked about a lot early on, had a decent draft season even though he somehow fell a lot, but has a skillset that could translate to a top 4 NHL defenseman.

Reactions: Hinterland

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Reminds me a lot of Caleb Addison. Needs to take strides defensively if he wants to have a career but if he hits he could be a powerplay guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad