RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Healthy scratched in the season opener. Jake Christiansen and Jack Johnson dressed instead. What is going on?
Jiricek had a terrible pre-season. I can't explain playing Jack Johnson, but Jiricek didn't earn a spot in the three pairs with his own performance. It was Jake Christiansen that beat him out, which precipitated Provorov moving to the right side as well. Christiansen legitimately earned the starting spot.

Jiricek will get games, as he should. Maybe even as soon as tomorrow in Colorado.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Normally I'd bitch and grumble but jiricek was given good opportunity in preseason.. top 4 minutes at times. He shit the bed. Disappointing. Hope he learns from this but I thought his offseason would be all about skating and bulking up. Not sure it looked like that in preseason.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Disappointing but really, another year of slow integration or AHL isn't the worst thing, if Jiricek is willing to accept it for what it is.

There will be a certain percentage of prospect fans who will or have already downgraded him and point to others from his draft class already becoming regulars, or being like "well he's another Czech kid doomed to failure" or simply assume that because its Columbus and he was a #6 overall pick and because a "no-name" like Christianson essentially took his top six starting spot - that this means the trajectory is all wrong.

But if you go back and look at the scouting reports - I would think this track and a slower burn to his development seems pretty much what should have been more or less expected.

Simon Edvinsson was drafted #6 overall as well, one year earlier, and spent most of last year (equivalent to Jiricek's current season) in the AHL. For whatever reason - maybe just trust in Detroit with Swedish prospects, it didn't seem to hurt Edvinsson's standing as a top 10 prospect league wide. There was more an atmosphere of "he's still growing into his body and his tools, he may need some time, but the upside is big".

The same should still apply to Jiricek, IMO. I think the downside here is not "it's taking Jiricek a bit longer to find his legs" - rather I'd be more concerned about a yo-yo effect of spot starting with low usage in the NHL mixed with demotions and call-ups over the year. I think he needs some stability - and maybe that should be "go to the AHL and dominate for a few months".

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
There are certainly red flags here, be it with the player, organization, or both. But, let's face it, in a cap league where cultivating "cheap talent" to play increased roles is en vogue... it needs to be questioned why a kid like Jiricek still cannot make the Jackets full-time.

Karlsson exploded as a puppy. Baby Makar debuted in the NHL playoffs, excelled, and never looked back. Hughes broke onto the scene as a pup and already has a Norris. Dahlin, Seider, Heiskanen, and others have made an impact as youngsters.

This season, Hutson already looks dominant, and he's a squirt compared to a monster like Jiricek. And, let's be honest, it's not like the Jackets are the 76 Habs with the greatest D core in history.

Jiricek might just be one of those bullish kids who has his mind set on the NHL and the yo-yoing and slow-walking has had a horrific impact on his psyche. The Jackets may feel like rushing him is a bad idea while they are ruining him completely by not letting him learn on the job.

Put the kid in the Top-4 and let him scrape his knees and grow. The same with Mateychuk... these kids need to play and play a lot, imho.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
There are certainly red flags here, be it with the player, organization, or both. But, let's face it, in a cap league where cultivating "cheap talent" to play increased roles is en vogue... it needs to be questioned why a kid like Jiricek still cannot make the Jackets full-time.

Karlsson exploded as a puppy. Baby Makar debuted in the NHL playoffs, excelled, and never looked back. Hughes broke onto the scene as a pup and already has a Norris. Dahlin, Seider, Heiskanen, and others have made an impact as youngsters.

This season, Hutson already looks dominant, and he's a squirt compared to a monster like Jiricek. And, let's be honest, it's not like the Jackets are the 76 Habs with the greatest D core in history.

Jiricek might just be one of those bullish kids who has his mind set on the NHL and the yo-yoing and slow-walking has had a horrific impact on his psyche. The Jackets may feel like rushing him is a bad idea while they are ruining him completely by not letting him learn on the job.

Put the kid in the Top-4 and let him scrape his knees and grow. The same with Mateychuk... these kids need to play and play a lot, imho.
I strongly agree with this but I will say.. I cannot find a single sole to justify his preseason.lol It sounds like he was given top 4 minutes and he absolutely shit the bed with them. I could be wrong. And I have a huge bias for Czech guys. I'm not worried as he's young. I hope this ends in a trade to my Oilers to be honest. Got a 2RD spot just waiting.lol

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I strongly agree with this but I will say.. I cannot find a single sole to justify his preseason.lol It sounds like he was given top 4 minutes and he absolutely shit the bed with them. I could be wrong. And I have a huge bias for Czech guys. I'm not worried as he's young. I hope this ends in a trade to my Oilers to be honest. Got a 2RD spot just waiting.lol
I hear you, re: preseason. But something tells me that Jiricek is extremely uptight about getting the chance to be an NHL mainstay. I know you generally don't want young players taking anything for granted and being gifted jobs. But something with this Jiricek situation seems "different" and it's felt odd since last season.

The Jackets are puzzling. They committed to solid but not great defensemen in Provorov and Severson last season and now have Johnson and Christensen taking minutes away from kids like Jiricek and Mateychuk.

No matter what, the Jackets are going to struggle. Hand the keys to the kids, and let them man up and grow together. Draft Top-3 again next year and add another ace to the cupboard. If not, the next shoe to drop will be their agents demanding trades. Columbus doesn't need those headaches.

Reactions: Czechboy

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
CBJ should have invested in someone that they trust to play with Jiricek. Jack Johnson isn’t it. Provorov has til the tdl before he is shipped out. Could go with him. Christianson is inexperienced with 44 nhl games going into this season. Then there is Harris and his 131 nhl games.
Not pairing him with Gudbranson.

Werenski and Severson handle the big minutes.

Even if they play him who would they pair him with? That’s also important.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
CBJ should have invested in someone that they trust to play with Jiricek. Jack Johnson isn’t it. Provorov has til the tdl before he is shipped out. Could go with him. Christianson is inexperienced with 44 nhl games going into this season. Then there is Harris and his 131 nhl games.

Imho, he should be 2nd pairing until he gets very comfortable... then he gets top pairing minutes with Werenski. Chara struggled a bit early on, and so did Hedman. But they played and were able to grow and make mistakes. Jiricek is a top pick and prospect, not some late-round project. They need to show faith in him before his morale is shot.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Some D pop early, some don't.

You can't use the existence of D that pop early to say that they all should be on that schedule.

Evan Bouchard is a good example of a D that wasn't ready in his D+3. His D game and his skating just weren't good enough.

I hear you, re: preseason. But something tells me that Jiricek is extremely uptight about getting the chance to be an NHL mainstay. I know you generally don't want young players taking anything for granted and being gifted jobs. But something with this Jiricek situation seems "different" and it's felt odd since last season.

The Jackets are puzzling. They committed to solid but not great defensemen in Provorov and Severson last season and now have Johnson and Christensen taking minutes away from kids like Jiricek and Mateychuk.

No matter what, the Jackets are going to struggle. Hand the keys to the kids, and let them man up and grow together. Draft Top-3 again next year and add another ace to the cupboard. If not, the next shoe to drop will be their agents demanding trades. Columbus doesn't need those headaches.

What's different about it is mostly on Allan Walsh and David Jiricek's end. How many players in the league rode up and down from the A until they were fully ready? Why didn't we constantly agonize about whether it was hurting them? Because their agent wasn't calling Seravalli and other media to try and get leverage on their team.

David has to go through the process just like countless players before him. His development will mostly depend on his training and on natural maturation. We really overstate the effect of the team in development, and to the extent that teams can screw it up, it is mostly from putting players in the NHL too early.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Imho, he should be 2nd pairing until he gets very comfortable... then he gets top pairing minutes with Werenski. Chara struggled a bit early on, and so did Hedman. But they played and were able to grow and make mistakes. Jiricek is a top pick and prospect, not some late-round project. They need to show faith in him before his morale is shot.
CBJ fans are saying he was given top 4 minutes in the preseason, didn't look good, and you want to give him regular season top 4 minutes, and are already plotting to move him up with Werenski?

Not ready is not ready. Playing someone in the NHL before they are is more likely to ruin them than keeping them in the minors.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

If Jiricek can't beat out aged and on his last hoorah Jack Johnson, he shouldn't be on the team.

Jiricek is at his best when he's playing aggressively and confidently, he hasn't shown that much if at all in the NHL. He should be getting top minutes in Cleveland with Mateychuk imo. They should spend the year dominating and over ripening. Cleveland should have a championship caliber team this year and it could do wonders for his confidence.

Unless he already has it in his head that he's too good for the AHL... In which case we have some problems because he's certainly not ready to be defending at an NHL level.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I was dogpiled and told I was wrong for this opinion on the CBJ board. God forbid a 21yo top six pick who is the best prospect out of his home country in years not be handled by the edges since the board's other favorite whipping boy, Cole Sillinger, wasn't and therefore we must now always do the opposite of what Jarmo did. It's an awkward position for a player and team to be in for sure.

To be fair, though, Jiricek did in fact look mostly terrible in preseason. His one game where he didn't, he was paired with Denton Mateychuk--who very much did dominate preseason. There was also a reference in the broadcast in one of the two games so far that Jiricek is up with the big club and not in Cleveland right now so he can work with the NHL coaches with certain deficiencies (i.e. his skating, which is flat out bad still) and that he's on board with the plan. His AHL D coach last season was promoted this year, for example. But Waddell and Evason have tight lips so there hasn't been much else. I'm sure we'll hear more this week as the club has three straight home games between now and Saturday.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
There was also a reference in the broadcast in one of the two games so far that Jiricek is up with the big club and not in Cleveland right now so he can work with the NHL coaches with certain deficiencies (i.e. his skating, which is flat out bad still) and that he's on board with the plan.

This is really the crux of it. We can quibble about where he is and who his D partner is and how much ice time he's getting as much as we want, but as long as there's a plan that has been communicated to Jiricek and he is on board with it, then things are fine IMO.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Jiricek can't beat out aged and on his last hoorah Jack Johnson, he shouldn't be on the team.

Jiricek is at his best when he's playing aggressively and confidently, he hasn't shown that much if at all in the NHL. He should be getting top minutes in Cleveland with Mateychuk imo. They should spend the year dominating and over ripening. Cleveland should have a championship caliber team this year and it could do wonders for his confidence.

Unless he already has it in his head that he's too good for the AHL... In which case we have some problems because he's certainly not ready to be defending at an NHL level.
Who would they pair Jiricek with? Assuming all guys remain on their shooting side?
Won’t be Werenski.
So one of Provorov, Harris (who has been scratched), Christiansen, Johnson.

Based on who they have, it really has to be Provorov. Then they leave Gudbranson with either Christiansen/Harris/Johnson.

Have to live with any mistakes and work on correcting them unless he's continually making the same mistakes. That's where coaching and a sound partner come in, to help him along. It's a development year.

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Chara struggled a bit early on, and so did Hedman. But they played and were able to grow and make mistakes. Jiricek is a top pick and prospect, not some late-round project. They need to show faith in him before his morale is shot.

Chara was 2 years older before he got a regular NHL job, Jiricek played almost as many games as a 19-20 year old than Chara did when he was 21-22. When he was 19-20, Chara was still in juniors.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad