RD Carter Yakemchuk - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2024 Draft)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I could only hope he gets underrated and falls to 14 for the Sharks. I don't think it's likely but I'd be the happiest camper if it did.
Supposedly there are rumors anaheim really like him and Sannecke at 3. Were are the team that is generally hard to get a read off who we are going. /shrug draft is wide open after celebrini.

Regardless sharks should be getting a really nice player at 14.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Supposedly there are rumors anaheim really like him and Sannecke at 3. Were are the team that is generally hard to get a read off who we are going. /shrug draft is wide open after celebrini.

Absolutely true. However, if it isn't Yakemchuk, the guy I'm wanting is someone I see consistently at or below 15, MBN. I view him as a potential fit with a guy like Will Smith.

But I digress from the thread subject. Give me Yak 10 outta 10 times.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

All Mccagg said was that the Ducks like them both. It was pure conjecture as to whether they liked them enough to pick them at 3OA. He certainly didn’t say that.

Reactions: HanSolo

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
All Mccagg said was that the Ducks like them both. It was pure conjecture as to whether they liked them enough to pick them at 3OA. He certainly didn’t say that.
I’d prob assume they are at least in conversation or why even make that statement

Regardless I prefer both to guys like saliyev and lindstrom

Reactions: Kalv

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It was just one of those "I'm hearing" rumors from McCagg, but FWIW it was definitely about Yakemchuk at pick #3.

I really wouldn't be surprised if they took him there. Divisive prospect but those that like him really like him. It fills the biggest need and just feels like a Madden pick.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
How much of the lack of agility in his skating could be due to his growth spurt & not being totally adjusted to his size? Skating can be worked on.

There are tons of junior elements to his game. In Calgary he needed to be 'the guy', but how much can his game mature? Off puck defending around the net he's good, he doesn't get caught leaving his guy unchecked often (he's quite mean) but he can be prone to mistakes defending through the neutral zone or making a poor decision as he anticipates a developing play. But he's also just a risk taker right now, that's kind of his game. And when it works he does things very few can.

As much as he's physically imposing I do think he's still sorta raw. How reliable he becomes will be the key to unlocking his potential. Maybe he's a mean 2nd pair or #4/5 PP guy if things don't totally workout, but he could be alot more too. There's lots to work on if he's coachable.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe some are thinking that he will be a bigger, slower Dumba(who was picked #7oa)? Prone to overaggressive pinching and hitting, and getting caught up ice? I don't really see that, myself. If anyone fits that profile, it's Parekh, minus the physicality.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I feel like he’s a bigger, more physical Brandt Clarke. I think that’s a pretty exciting prospect

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I think a lot has to go right for him to hit, honestly. I’d be cautious here
If you put him on a high-end development program to make him quicker and eventually support him with a well structured, and solidly coached team at the professional level, I don't see him as being inordinately risky compared to his peers.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
If you put him on a high-end development program to make him quicker and eventually support him with a well structured, and solidly coached team at the professional level, I don't see him as being inordinately risky compared to his peers.
We will see how much of a progression jump he takes in his 19 year old season. By his 20 year old season, he should likely be far too good for the Dub but might not fully be ready for the A. I could be wrong.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We will see how much of a progression jump he takes in his 19 year old season. By his 20 year old season, he should likely be far too good for the Dub but might not fully be ready for the A. I could be wrong.

There's a 0% chance he's in the WHL for his overage year. He'll do one more year in junior and be in the AHL/NHL in 25-26.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Yakemchuk has similar issues to David Jiricek where it's mainly just the back skating in transition that gets him in trouble. I think Yak will be plenty ready in other respects, and AHL teams will have to live with the back skating issue and work with him on it. The AHL schedule would be great for him with all the skating training they can do during the week.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Sounds simple, but there are always biomechanical limitations to these players. Skating can absolutely be improved upon, but all of these high end players will most likely have been enrolled in such development programs with their junior teams - particularly Yakemchuk because he’s Calgarian and probably has access to resource through summer as well. To expect massive strides (pun intended) at this point may not be super realistic.

Skating is one thing, but I do think there are several more issues in his game, which all put together, have him lower in my rankings than his peers.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Sounds simple, but there are always biomechanical limitations to these players. Skating can absolutely be improved upon, but all of these high end players will most likely have been enrolled in development programs with their junior teams. To expect massive strides (pun intended) at this point may not be super realistic.

Skating is one thing, but I do think there are several more issues in his game, which all put together, have him lower in my rankings than his peers.
Agreed. He has some great aspects that make him exciting prospect with 1d potential, but these issues (skating, defending, thinking, etc.. ) aren't just incidental. They are real obstacles to him hitting his ceiling. He could improve enough in 1 or more areas to be a stud that his team will be thrilled with, he could make some progress and end up as 4/5 D who is a pp guy, or he can make minimal progress and never find a firm footing as a top 4 D. I think all of these are legit possibilities, which is why I think it would be huge risk to pick him too high in the top 10. In the teens, that risk is more palatable because of his upside.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I mean is anyone actually saying a team should take him above Lev, Buium, Dick, Parekh?
Tons of people are saying that, actually. It’s really incredible to me to see people not want Parekh due to his defensive deficiencies and then turn around and say they’d love Yakemchuk. Or people criticizing Levshunov’s hockey IQ and praising Yakemchuk’s in the same breath. Or knocking Buium’s skating while ignoring Yakemchuk’s, or worrying about Dickinson’s upside while ignoring Yakemchuk’s bust potential.

That isn’t to say that Yakemchuk isn’t an exciting prospect or that he can’t improve on his weaknesses, but there’s a reason he’s considered sixth out of the six D in the top half of the first round by most people.

Reactions: Blueston

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Tons of people are saying that, actually. It’s really incredible to me to see people not want Parekh due to his defensive deficiencies and then turn around and say they’d love Yakemchuk. Or people criticizing Levshunov’s hockey IQ and praising Yakemchuk’s in the same breath. Or knocking Buium’s skating while ignoring Yakemchuk’s, or worrying about Dickinson’s upside while ignoring Yakemchuk’s bust potential.

That isn’t to say that Yakemchuk isn’t an exciting prospect or that he can’t improve on his weaknesses, but there’s a reason he’s considered sixth out of the six D in the top half of the first round by most people.
I would absolutely f***ing love if someone in the top 10 takes a swing at him. That would mean one of Parekh/Iginla/Buium/Silayev/Catton/Helenius is basically a guarantee to fall to the flyers

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I mean is anyone actually saying a team should take him above Lev, Buium, Dick, Parekh?

I think the consensus on the top D is mostly wrong. There are indeed some of us that think Yakemchuk is actually a better pick than some of the 5 above him. Buium is the only one I have clearly ahead of him, he's by far the top D in my books.

I've seen both Parekh and Yakemchuk improving this year on the technical aspects of defense, but Parekh gets tossed around like a ragdoll in the OHL and I'm not sure how much stronger he can get. He's always going to have challenges in his zone that Yakemchuk doesn't have. I think Yakemchuk is remarkably strong. He's the only guy I've seen manhandle Cayden Lindstrom.

Yakemchuk has to get much better at decision making when the attack is coming against him in transition. He doesn't have the skating to recover once he loses position there. But I see Lev's decision making as much worse in both ends. Defensively he'll lose his man entirely or vacate the zone for no reason when the other club has the puck. He gets locked into expecting certain plays to happen that don't end up happening. A lot of passes to nowhere. Levshunov doesn't have the passing and handling skill of Yakemchuk, I can see him being a turnover machine in the NHL when you combine the poor puck skills with the poor decision making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad