RD Carter Yakemchuk - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2024 Draft)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What a draft for defensemen. It wouldn’t be much of a shock for any of Yakemchuk, Dickenson, Parekh, Silayev or the Belarusian to go 3rd overall (or fall to 10th).

It seems pretty obvious that the defenseman are going high.. only Lindstrom will go in the top 5 picks with Celebrini for forwards.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Man I love this player. Everytime I watch him, he climbs in my ranking.

Same here, a lot to like about him and easy to project him excelling in the show. I've noticed his confidence and selective aggressiveness seems to improve by the game... Im sure there's some teams salivating on what he'll become if/when he tightens up his positioning. Should easily go top 8

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Gordie Howe hat trick tonight! He was nasty tonight, just pasted a Tigers guy and that's why he was in the fight. He fought Wiesblatt of all people, quite the height difference.

He got his hands tied up early and got his butt-kicked. Should’ve been an instigator on the other side. Came out of the box and scored on next PP. He played a helluva game though as McKenna and Basha were basically non-factors on the scoresheet. I wouldn't pass him up over too many people. He will definitely be an NHL top 4 guy and maybe a top 1 or 2. Played a much calmer game than I have seen which totally neutralized his opponents offense. Takes no prisoners in front of the net too. Best game I have seen from him.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He's going very early and expect him to be one of the highest jumps, probably with Iginla, on Bob's final board.
Agreed. Big, physical righty defensemen is exactly what teams are looking for. And his stats are impressive as well. Lots of offense for a big guy. He won't be able to dance through opponents the way he does in the WHL but he's got an NHL shot already which will automatically translate to goals. He's got the NHL body, too and he's not afraid to use it. I think the players drafted ahead of him we'll be able to count on one hand.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
2G, 1A today.

Reminds me a little of prime Brent Burns.
I completely agree with this comparison stylistically, albeit Yakemchuk is two inches shorter than Burns and isn’t as good a skater. High upside for sure, but he could easily never be top-4. Whoever takes this guy will be betting on his upside as a Burns type of defenseman.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I completely agree with this comparison stylistically, albeit Yakemchuk is two inches shorter than Burns and isn’t as good a skater. High upside for sure, but he could easily never be top-4. Whoever takes this guy will be betting on his upside as a Burns type of defenseman.

Brent Burns is a much better skater actually. Not even much faster but way better mobility. Brent Burns is incredibly dynamic for his size. Yakemchuk is never gonna get there. He's more willing to use his frame though. Brent Burns may be moving much better than other players of his size but I'd argue that he also doesn't take full advantage of it.

I'd say that Yakemchuk's shot is at least equal already and that there's a pretty good chance he'll be at least as solid against the puck. I guess most of the knocks on Yakemchuk's defense come from him being over aggressive. While that's true for Burns as well I think that it is coachable and Burns just also has a certain inconsistency that I haven't noticed with Yakemchuk and I hope he won't have at NHL level either.

So I'm not sure I really like the comparison. Both are big righty defensemen with lots of offensive upside who like to play aggressive (though for Burns that mostly means gambling on offense while for Yakemchuk it's mostly stepping up for hits) but I think that's more or less it. Don't see a lot of other similarities in their game.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Brent Burns is a much better skater actually. Not even much faster but way better mobility. Brent Burns is incredibly dynamic for his size. Yakemchuk is never gonna get there. He's more willing to use his frame though. Brent Burns may be moving much better than other players of his size but I'd argue that he also doesn't take full advantage of it.
I know, that’s what I said. Burns is the better skater of the two.
I'd say that Yakemchuk's shot is at least equal already and that there's a pretty good chance he'll be at least as solid against the puck. I guess most of the knocks on Yakemchuk's defense come from him being over aggressive. While that's true for Burns as well I think that it is coachable and Burns just also has a certain inconsistency that I haven't noticed with Yakemchuk and I hope he won't have at NHL level either.

So I'm not sure I really like the comparison. Both are big righty defensemen with lots of offensive upside who like to play aggressive (though for Burns that mostly means gambling on offense while for Yakemchuk it's mostly stepping up for hits) but I think that's more or less it. Don't see a lot of other similarities in their game.
Of course, you’re never going to find the perfect comparison, but the ways in which Yakemchuk looks for offense, his physicality, and the hands on a big man like him remind me of Burns.

Reactions: Bubbles

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Bigger/Meaner John Klingberg :puppy:
Maybe if you mixed him with Ed Jovanovski or Dion Phaneuf or someone like that. Haha.

Yakemchuk isn’t really a kill you in open ice and then punch your lights out type, though. He’s more of a big nasty pest. The player he honestly reminds me so much of is Corey Perry. If Perry was a D instead of a winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad