RD Carter Yakemchuk - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2024, 7th, OTT)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I wouldn’t say his IQ and skating are bad, that’s a stretch.

Does his decision making at the blueline leave a little to be desired? Yes. He can make some bone headed plays with the puck and likes to force plays at times - his defensive consistency needs work, not great at anticipating play and his stick placement needs to get better.

Also yes, his skating needs work but I wouldn’t call it outright bad. He skates like Drake Batherson, where it isn’t going to be a hindrance but he looks heavy out there and can struggle when he is facing some agile players defensively.

Here is a clip that showcases just that, he is #26 in white.

From what I’ve seen he is ranked fairly, late teens/early twenties. His shot, physical play and two way potential are going to carry him this year, but he definitely has some warts in his game, and it may be a big hinderance down the road.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I wouldn’t say his IQ and skating are bad, that’s a stretch.

Does his decision making at the blueline leave a little to be desired? Yes. He can make some bone headed plays with the puck and likes to force plays at times - his defensive consistency needs work…
I agree with all of that. But I will also add a caveat that he plays on a relatively talentless team and he’s required to be selfish and take major risks regularly as his team is usually chasing the game and he’s often his own best option.
…not great at anticipating play and his stick placement needs to get better.
I’ve seen games where this was a huge strength of his and games where his timing was off. He’s got to be more consistent in these areas but I’ve seen him be very good, and really frustrate opposing teams with how automatic he’s been with closing gaps and breaking up plays. I have also seen games where he’s seems cursed to be a turnstile.
Also yes, his skating needs work but I wouldn’t call it outright bad. He skates like Drake Batherson, where it isn’t going to be a hindrance but he looks heavy out there and can struggle when he is facing some agile players defensively.
It’s ugly but it’s not slow. He’s got bad habits. This is the area I think he could most benefit from coaching and developing.
Here is a clip that showcases just that, he is #26 in white.

View attachment 760956

From what I’ve seen he is ranked fairly, late teens/early twenties. His shot, physical play and two way potential are going to carry him this year, but he definitely has some warts in his game, and it may be a big hinderance down the road.
I probably have Dickinson ahead of him. Maybe Silayev and Jiricek too. Though I haven’t been able to see a lot of either recently. So far this season I like Yakemchuk better than Parekh, Mews and Elick, though.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
6th on Pronman’s latest rankings

“Yakemchuk has often looked dynamic in his time in the WHL. There aren’t many defensemen his size who have excellent offensive skills and a goal-scoring touch who can push the pace as well. His nearly 6-3 frame, strong feet and willingness to play physical should allow him to be a quality pro defender. The product of all these traits is an exciting NHL prospect who should go early in the draft.”

2024 NHL Draft ranking: Macklin Celebrini leads Corey Pronman's list

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Pronman’s D rankings:

1. Silayev
  2. Levshunov
  3. Yakemchuk
  4. Jiricek

I agree with his top 5 but not necessarily the order of them. I do think Yakemchuk is a Top 10 quality prospect for this draft. Not sure I have him ahead of Jiricek or Dickinson. But he’s in that zone for me. I think all five names are close for me. And all five are probably top ten picks for me. The order of them is tough for me to sort out at this point.

It’s so, so early on.

Last edited by a moderator:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I agree with all of that. But I will also add a caveat that he plays on a relatively talentless team and he’s required to be selfish and take major risks regularly as his team is usually chasing the game and he’s often his own best option.

I’ve seen games where this was a huge strength of his and games where his timing was off. He’s got to be more consistent in these areas but I’ve seen him be very good, and really frustrate opposing teams with how automatic he’s been with closing gaps and breaking up plays. I have also seen games where he’s seems cursed to be a turnstile.

It’s ugly but it’s not slow. He’s got bad habits. This is the area I think he could most benefit from coaching and developing.

I probably have Dickinson ahead of him. Maybe Silayev and Jiricek too. Though I haven’t been able to see a lot of either recently. So far this season I like Yakemchuk better than Parekh, Mews and Elick, though.
I think you bring up some great points. He is on a bad team, and his skating although it can use refinement, is one of the most teachable things in the sport.

Yes, he’s on a bad team, and I always feel it can sometimes be difficult to evaluate these players. I often times ask myself are they a product of opportunity? or are they genuinely impressing with their on-ice play? This is where watching how they play when they aren’t putting up points can really help with evaluating a player. I think I’d like to see him take a run at the WJC team this season so we can see him play outside of Calgary. I think that would be an excellent test for him and it would help many of us to come to a better conclusion on how he may project to the NHL.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I think you bring up some great points. He is on a bad team, and his skating although it can use refinement, is one of the most teachable things in the sport.

Yes, he’s on a bad team, and I always feel it can sometimes be difficult to evaluate these players. I often times ask myself are they a product of opportunity? or are they genuinely impressing with their on-ice play? This is where watching how they play when they aren’t putting up points can really help with evaluating a player. I think I’d like to see him take a run at the WJC team this season so we can see him play outside of Calgary. I think that would be an excellent test for him and it would help many of us to come to a better conclusion on how he may project to the NHL.
Very true. He makes really dumb mistakes and doesn’t get benched. He’s out there every 2nd shift. I don’t think he even sits down on the bench.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Pronman’s D rankings:

1. Silayev
  2. Levshunov
  3. Yakemchuk
  4. Jiricek

I agree with his top 5 but not necessarily the order of them. I do think Yakemchuk is a Top 10 quality prospect for this draft. Not sure I have him ahead of Jiricek or Dickinson. But he’s in that zone for me. I think all five names are close for me. And all five are probably top ten picks for me. The order of them is tough for me to sort out at this point.

It’s so, so early on.

I have

Dickinson
Levshunov
Silayev
Parekh
Jiricek
Hutson
Mews
Yakemchuk

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Watching the game tonight, I could see IQ/awareness concerns. Sometimes forces things by going with his first instinct. But you can't deny his talent or competitiveness.

He was everything for Calgary; playing huge minutes, throwing the body (threw a huge hit in open ice), rushing the puck & dangling around opponents, making good pinches to prolong offensive time, competing hard defensively. There's a ton to like.

Again I do wonder about his awareness at times, but he competes at both ends & has talent. Not the biggest shot but I also think he's still growing into his body. Oh and I thought his skating was actually very good, especially for a guy his size.

I'm really interested to see more.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I have

Dickinson
Levshunov
Silayev
Parekh
Jiricek
Hutson
Mews
Yakemchuk

I’m not sure what to make of Levshunov. Haven’t seen him enough, yet. Same with Buium.

I’ve seen many more games of Silayev, Dickinson, Yakemchuk, Jiricek, Parekh, Mews, Elick, etc.

Tier 1: Yakemchuk, Silayev, Dickinson, Jiricek
Tier 2: Parekh
Tier 3: Mews, Elick
No Rnk: Levshunov, Buium (not enough views)

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’m not sure what to make of Levshunov. Haven’t seen him enough, yet. Same with Buium.

I’ve seen many more games of Silayev, Dickinson, Yakemchuk, Jiricek, Parekh, Mews, Elick, etc.

Tier 1: Yakemchuk, Silayev, Dickinson, Jiricek
Tier 2: Parekh
Tier 3: Mews, Elick
No Rnk: Levshunov, Buium (not enough views)
Would bump Jiricek down a tier but generally agree

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Yakemchuk gets frustrated after a hit along the boards, goes back at Mateychuck & won't let go of him despite another Warrior & then the refs stepping in.

He eventually wrestles Mateychuck free from the pile & they go at it, Carter threw 1 which knocks Denton's helmet off as he wrestled Mateychuck down.

Yakemchuk is really competitive, not afraid of the physical side at all. Its fun to watch.

Reactions: tnfrs

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
1G, 2A tonight. He picked a good game. A lot of NHL scouts were in the building.

He's definitely separating himself from other draft eligible defenseman.

I didn't get to see the whole game, but from what I saw he had a stronger game defensively aswell. No glaring mistakes. Just strong simple plays in his end.

Liking him more & more.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Watching the game tonight, I could see IQ/awareness concerns. Sometimes forces things by going with his first instinct. But you can't deny his talent or competitiveness.

He was everything for Calgary; playing huge minutes, throwing the body (threw a huge hit in open ice), rushing the puck & dangling around opponents, making good pinches to prolong offensive time, competing hard defensively. There's a ton to like.

Again I do wonder about his awareness at times, but he competes at both ends & has talent. Not the biggest shot but I also think he's still growing into his body. Oh and I thought his skating was actually very good, especially for a guy his size.

I'm really interested to see more.
Sounds like ristolainen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad