RD Blake Fiddler - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2025 Draft)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Honestly, your assessment of his game is exactly how I’ve felt so far.

My assessment of Blake Fiddler so far:

I think people will see the point totals thus far and assume he’s an offensive player, but really that isn’t the case at all. Fiddler is a pretty boring player. I mean that in a good way. He is the type of player that coaches really like. Fiddler is a big defenseman that knows his role to a tee. He is out there to defend. He really plays a pro-style game. He focuses on risk-adverse, solid defending. He isn’t the best skater in terms of straight line speed, so he compensates by playing a conservative game. He doesn’t engage in unnecessary physical contact and instead utilizes his great reach to poke pucks away. One thing I love about Fiddler is his breakout passing. He is able to get pucks up the ice very well and makes great heads-up plays.

Fiddler’s offense is more opportunistic when in the offensive zone. He isn’t really looking to create chances. He has a powerful shot so he is able to create rebounds, but isn’t going to pinch often in the offensive zone. I foresee most of his points coming in the form of secondary assists from his great breakout passing ability from the defensive zone. Fiddler is not currently on the power play for his team.

My biggest criticism of Fiddler is his overall upside. I like his lateral movement, but his speed is a concern. EliteProspects has him ranked 14 (as of 10/14) and that is just too high for me at this point. He has great size, makes good decisions, and plays a pro-style game. But, I think he’s more of a 30-50 guy. He reminds me a bit of Brian Dumoulin. A reliable defensive defenseman with less than great speed.
I completely agree with this assessment, but I think the "big RHD" factor will make him a late-1st rounder even if people question his upside. Although I guess Charlie Elick and Dom Badinka fell to the early-2nd last year.

Who do you prefer between Fiddler and, say, EJ Emery at this point?

Reactions: VeteranPresence

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Fiddler starting to produce (5 points 7 games) and the one game I watched he looked way more confident with the puck and was a feature option on plays. I think a late 1st round grade might be too low when all is said and done if he finishes with 40-50 points.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Fiddler starting to produce (5 points 7 games) and the one game I watched he looked way more confident with the puck and was a feature option on plays. I think a late 1st round grade might be too low when all is said and done if he finishes with 40-50 points.

Maybe, Braden Schneider basically had that season in the WHL (42 points) with the big frame and defensive presence and went 19th overall so possible.

Then again - I wonder if you don’t like back at Schneider (who is a solid young NHL blueliner) and say “the two-way ability may have been a touched overrated” at least as a projectable feature of his game.

I’m not sure the points matter quite as much as “does he have the creativity to actually bring that offensive side with him to the pro level”. But…heck a Schneider-esque outcome is outstanding for the back end of the 1st, regardless of offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: VeteranPresence

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Maybe, Braden Schneider basically had that season in the WHL (42 points) with the big frame and defensive presence and went 19th overall so possible.

Then again - I wonder if you don’t like back at Schneider (who is a solid young NHL blueliner) and say “the two-way ability may have been a touched overrated” at least as a projectable feature of his game.

I’m not sure the points matter quite as much as “does he have the creativity to actually bring that offensive side with him to the pro level”. But…heck a Schneider-esque outcome is outstanding for the back end of the 1st, regardless of offense.
Apologize for nitpicking, but I feel he doesn't skate as well as Schneider side to side and with turning. Offense and defense might be similar.

Schneider hasn't put up points in the NHL (because he gets absolutely 0 PP time and also usually defensive situations), but he's sneaky good offensively. Gets his shot through a lot, moves the puck along to the next guy, and can occasionally look like a good puck rusher. He plays too passive in the positions he takes up on the ice and doesn't get the opportunity to actually score points that often, but he's more efficient than you'd think offensively.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Apologize for nitpicking, but I feel he doesn't skate as well as Schneider side to side and with turning. Offense and defense might be similar.

Schneider hasn't put up points in the NHL (because he gets absolutely 0 PP time and also usually defensive situations), but he's sneaky good offensively. Gets his shot through a lot, moves the puck along to the next guy, and can occasionally look like a good puck rusher. He plays too passive in the positions he takes up on the ice and doesn't get the opportunity to actually score points that often, but he's more efficient than you'd think offensively.

No problem! I made a slightly lazy comp of 6-4 WHL guys and appreciate the nuanced observation. I don’t think Fiddler has the prospect pop or upside Schneider did at the time, but he probably can but a slight step below and still challenge for back of 1st/early 2nd because of his prototype always being in demand.

I caught some of Schneider that opening game, he looks primed to maybe take a step up this year into true top four territory.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I completely agree with this assessment, but I think the "big RHD" factor will make him a late-1st rounder even if people question his upside. Although I guess Charlie Elick and Dom Badinka fell to the early-2nd last year.

Who do you prefer between Fiddler and, say, EJ Emery at this point?
EJ 100%. I just loved EJ’s game. His mobility, athleticism, and reach just really appealed to me. I think Fiddler is probably a better defender positionally. But, EJ has way more potential in my eyes. At one point last year I think I had EJ ranked like 15 or so but he never showed the offensive upside that I thought he would so he eventually dropped to 23.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
EJ 100%. I just loved EJ’s game. His mobility, athleticism, and reach just really appealed to me. I think Fiddler is probably a better defender positionally. But, EJ has way more potential in my eyes. At one point last year I think I had EJ ranked like 15 or so but he never showed the offensive upside that I thought he would so he eventually dropped to 23.
I feel very similarly. I really like Emery and he was who I really wanted at 33 for the Sharks. Helluva tease for him to fall to 30 or wherever he ended up going.

Right now I feel Emery's skating sets him apart. Fiddler sometimes feels awkward moving to me, even though he's definitely not a terrible skater by any means.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I feel very similarly. I really like Emery and he was who I really wanted at 33 for the Sharks. Helluva tease for him to fall to 30 or wherever he ended up going.

Right now I feel Emery's skating sets him apart. Fiddler sometimes feels awkward moving to me, even though he's definitely not a terrible skater by any means.
Especially when you compare him to EJ Emery, Fiddler’s skating isn’t pretty. He’s a very clunky skater if that makes sense. He’s not able to reach top speed as easily at this point. I think Fiddler’s skating could definitely be improved though and he has pretty decent lateral movement.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He reminds me a bit of Brian Dumoulin. A reliable defensive defenseman with less than great speed.
Dumo was an excellent skater until he got hurt. Not explosive but could cover so much ice. Routinely won conditioning/skating drills at Pens camp. In his prime, seen few guys play D vs McDavid 1v1 better.

If Fiddler is a clunky skater, prob not a great comp.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Dumo was an excellent skater until he got hurt. Not explosive but could cover so much ice. Routinely won conditioning/skating drills at Pens camp. In his prime, seen few guys play D vs McDavid 1v1 better.

If Fiddler is a clunky skater, prob not a great comp.
From my memory, Dumo wasn’t a fast skater transitioning from offense to defense. In his prime, he certainly wasn’t clunky but his ability to generate speed quickly wasn’t great. Ultimately, Dumo would play conservatively and get a decent head start on his opponents to avoid being out of position in the defensive zone rather than pinch in the offensive zone or attempt to challenge his opposition in the neutral zone. While I think prime Dumoulin is certainly a better skater than Fiddler, style of play and my overall projection of the type of player I see Fiddler becoming makes the comparison appropriate in my eyes.

Player comparisons are never great, but when I watched Fiddler play, he reminded me a bit of Dumoulin. Both guys are long defenseman, utilize positioning and reach well, don’t engage in unnecessary physical contact, and play a very risk-adverse simple game. I was very high on Dumoulin when he was in his prime. If Fiddler turns into that caliber player, he’ll have a long career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad