RD Blake Fiddler - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2025 Draft)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I know absolute nothing about him, just noticed few minutes ago that a player named Fiddler
went 1st overall in the WHL US prospects priority Draft.

Anyways, he just signed yesterday a standard WHL player agreement contract with the Oil Kings

Position : defenseman
Shoots : left
POB : Frisco, TX (current hometown, Irving, TX)
BD : July 9th / 2007
Height : 6 foot 2
Weight : 180 lbs
Draft eligible : 2025

Family relations
Father : Vernon Fiddler

Draft : 2022 1st overall WHL US prospects priority draft

---

“It’s a huge honour and a dream come true,” Fiddler told OilKings.ca following the 2022 WHL U.S. Prospects Draft. “I’ve always wanted to play in this league and to be drafted by such a great organization is awesome. I’m just really excited for what the future holds.

“I’m a two-way defenceman, but very offensive minded. I like to jump up in the play, lead the rush, creating offence when we’re in the offensive zone, but I’m also reliable in the defensive zone when I’m put on the ice.”

Fiddler is the son of longtime NHL forward and former Kelowna Rockets star Vernon Fiddler, who spent 14 seasons in the NHL, playing 877 regular season games.

“He’s taught me a lot,” Blake said of his father’s influence. “He’s been a big part of my hockey career so far. He’s really helped me develop into the player that I am today, and I’m really thankful for the opportunities my family has provided me and the sacrifices they’ve made to help get me to where I am.”

Other notable NHL alumni to see their sons’ names called included former San Jose Sharks stars Owen Nolan and Brad Stuart. For Stuart, his son Jake was selected second overall by the Brandon Wheat Kings, while Nolan’s son Dylan was selected 10th overall by the Prince Albert Raiders.

Two-time Stanley Cup champion Grant Jennings saw his son’s name, Gordon, called by the Prince Albert Raiders with the 35th overall selection. Grant played nine NHL seasons and was a member of the back-to-back Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins squads in 1991 and 1992.

Reactions: bedtime20

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's a good player. Think he was the captain of the USA U17 Select team, but it was a little hard to tell exactly who was wearing the C.

If he was a better skater, he'd be very good, but he's a 6'3 and close to 200 pound defenseman already that plays good defensively, with an edge, and he can move pucks. I don't think he'll be a big offensive guy, saying that, as his skating isn't good and he seems to be more of a defensive first player.

Think he's probably going to end up a draftable player in 2025, but it's early, so who knows? He'll play for the Edmonton Oil Kings in the WHL this season. He was the 1st pick in the WHL draft of American players.

@Artorius Horus T, can you edit the thread title? He's a right-shot.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looks good in the Hlinka Gretzky. Some Braden Schneider elements in his game.
Don't think he skates anywhere near as well or is as active in jumping into the attack.

Think Fiddler is going to be a steady defensive defenseman with minimal offense. His skating looks a little better, which is where he needs improvement.

Likely will range from a 4-7, and be a low level NHL'er like his father was.

Could see him going second round if he has a good season.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m starting to think first round is possible. His skating has come such a long way in the last year. Whether he has enough of an offensive game is a fair question, but when a player like Badinka, who has a similar game to Fiddler, is going #34, it makes you start considering if that could be his range.

MikeyS

Aug 28, 2023
He’s for sure going top-20, what a performance. Why wasn’t he selected for NTDP?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
NTDP is also pretty good with RHD for his age group. Two likely first round picks (Amico and Trethewey). Could've been he was offered a spot, but had an inkling he might be like third pair and didn't want to be in the situation that someone like Brzustewicz was.

They sometimes pick role players towards the bottom of the roster over players that are clearly going to be higher draft picks. Could've been that they were only taking two very good RHD's, and the other spots were going to go to B or C grade prospects for roster building purposes.

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
He’s for sure going top-20, what a performance. Why wasn’t he selected for NTDP?
don’t see it - he’s second round -third round pick - he was average during his junior year which was expected - but he was average at best at natty camp tryout for thia team and he was average here - doesn’t have great feet - great skill - great hands - great offense - he’s solid that’s it

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

shift by shift from end of last season.
  • Solid, if unspectacular.
  • Good, I would say "safe" D zone positioning.
  • Typically makes solid decisions with the puck - again, not super creative, but maintains possession and makes a smart play. One poor decision at end of first to make a short pass to his center at top of the slot with two forecheckers on, leads to a great scoring chance against.
  • Handful of times he tried to pinch in with the puck, dangle around the dots, and failed -- something Yakemchuk would have successfully executed.
  • Moves well for his size but not elite and not very top end straight line speed.
  • A couple mishandles -> losing puck in the feet
It's just one game, but I think I agree with the posters who say that he needs to show a lot of improvement in puck handling, offensive chance generation / creativity before he's a 1st rd candidate... seems more like a 2nd rounder right now. But there's a whole D+0 season ahead.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

shift by shift from end of last season.
  • Solid, if unspectacular.
  • Good, I would say "safe" D zone positioning.
  • Typically makes solid decisions with the puck - again, not super creative, but maintains possession and makes a smart play. One poor decision at end of first to make a short pass to his center at top of the slot with two forecheckers on, leads to a great scoring chance against.
  • Handful of times he tried to pinch in with the puck, dangle around the dots, and failed -- something Yakemchuk would have successfully executed.
  • Moves well for his size but not elite and not very top end straight line speed.
  • A couple mishandles -> losing puck in the feet
It's just one game, but I think I agree with the posters who say that he needs to show a lot of improvement in puck handling, offensive chance generation / creativity before he's a 1st rd candidate... seems more like a 2nd rounder right now. But there's a whole D+0 season ahead.

He showed improvements in a lot of those areas in the Hlinka; he's definitely a 1st round candidate as long as he carries that into the season and doesn't pull a Cam Allen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad