Speculation: RBAs next contract

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
honest question - has someone taking a 'hometown discount' ever actually cost another player a single cent? it gets talked about a lot, but for every guy that takes a discount, there are umpteen guys getting more than their worth (and everyone knows it). is there anyone that can be pointed to as losing money? i mean, if there is a team where 'no one gets paid more than (star)' applies, i can see it - but if you're a free agent it doesn't seem hard to avoid that team. unless you want to be there enough that choosing to take less money is worth it. but i can't think of anyone that got paid less because someone else chose a certain deal. the only guys that get less are the ones that listen to agents that think they are worth more than they truly are. miss you, nino - hope your agent grows taste buds on his anus.

even in arbitration, if feels like if a team pointed to a guy that took a discount as a comparable it wouldn't be hard for an agent to present articles and talking heads all saying he was worth more. yes, mr. arbitration man, billy bob brisbois took x.y million and here is the entire hockey community agreeing that was an underpay - my client obviously deserves more.

Reactions: Lempo

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
My totally unfounded theory on this, and it could be way off. Rod was always going to stay here and Dundon was always going to keep him (that part isn't way off).

Waddell/Dundon were probably dragging their feet on getting things lined up for Rod's Assistants/staff and we know how loyal Rod is to those guys so someone (Rod's agent?) leaked it to the press to put some pressure on Waddell/Dundon so this didn't drag out.

I don't think his agent trying to get a better deal because of other clients has anything to do with it.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
On his podcast today Friedman strongly hints that this whole thing blew up because friends or people around Brindy were getting upset and thought he was being taken advantage of by the organization. It didn't come from Brindy at all.

Oof, Dreger, Weekes and Civian, yall have a lot of explaining to do.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
On his podcast today Friedman strongly hints that this whole thing blew up because friends or people around Brindy were getting upset and thought he was being taken advantage of by the organization. It didn't come from Brindy at all.

Oof, Dreger, Weekes and Civian, yall have a lot of explaining to do.

There's nothing to explain. They reported the info they received, which wasn't "bad information" according to Cory Lav (another that has connections to the organization)

The entire thing was both sides using the media to negotiate in public. Again, it's no coincidence that the "offer pulled" report came out an hour after Waddell's "confident we'll sign him" story.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

There's nothing to explain. They reported the info they received, which wasn't "bad information" according to Cory Lav (another that has connections to the organization)

The entire thing was both sides using the media to negotiate in public. Again, it's no coincidence that the "offer pulled" report came out an hour after Waddell's "confident we'll sign him" story.

Or they could do the bare minimum and vet their sources and information rather than get caught up in a race to be first. Of course now that all the reporting is being walked back and we're hearing confirmations that they're just going through a normal negotiation that happened to be tabled for the playoff run, all those reporters are issuing corrections, right? They're admitting they made mistakes, right?

Oh, right, they're ignoring it and moving on. And people wonder why we have a mistrust of the media nowadays.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
The unconventional approaches that the org takes help give these stories life. Player contracts aside, how many other clubs are in the news about inner management salaries and pay except maybe AZ. If they are, it is often about how they are the creme of the crop with various perks not cheap as possible.

In a different tweet, Cory stated he thought it was negotiating in public and following the Aho playbook of how to get these things resolved.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I've still yet to see a compelling reason why this should have even been at a point where these guys could report on it, no matter whether you believe they were right or not. This stuff could have been worked out and negotiated ages ago.

It just feels like an area they could stand to improve on but I won't be surprised if we're down to the wire again in a few years. The org has been getting results, so it's hard to criticize too much, but you can see why other orgs get this stuff done early.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I've still yet to see a compelling reason why this should have even been at a point where these guys could report on it, no matter whether you believe they were right or not. This stuff could have been worked out and negotiated ages ago.

It just feels like an area they could stand to improve on but I won't be surprised if we're down to the wire again in a few years. The org has been getting results, so it's hard to criticize too much, but you can see why other orgs get this stuff done early.
I mean yes but it takes two to come to an agreement; and if Rod is holding off for his assistants then it takes 4-5+. It's not hard to see how that could get drawn out when the contracts probably aren't at the top of the list mid-season.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I mean yes but it takes two to come to an agreement; and if Rod is holding off for his assistants then it takes 4-5+. It's not hard to see how that could get drawn out when the contracts probably aren't at the top of the list mid-season.
Most teams, if they want to keep their coach, don't even let them get to that last season of the contract. That comes with its own risks, but it seems unlikely Brindy was in danger of being fired like some of the recent coaches that were fired before extensions came in. I really don't see anything in these negotiations, even if every coach is included, that should have taken this long. Everyone else in the league seems to be able to make it work. Entire franchises can be moved/sold and made inactive with countless moving parts quicker than this.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Likely a lot riding on these playoffs in terms of players and coaches salaries. Im not saying we wouldn’t keep rba based on the performance but we are 6 years in with no ECF wins. That will change pay. Playoff success changes the number by at least a million, I would think

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Or they could do the bare minimum and vet their sources and information rather than get caught up in a race to be first. Of course now that all the reporting is being walked back and we're hearing confirmations that they're just going through a normal negotiation that happened to be tabled for the playoff run, all those reporters are issuing corrections, right? They're admitting they made mistakes, right?

Oh, right, they're ignoring it and moving on. And people wonder why we have a mistrust of the media nowadays.

What needs to be walked back? Unless I'm mistaken, the initial report stated

"The two sides were close to a deal" (presumably correct)
"The current offer has been taken off the table" (nothing thus far has said otherwise)
"If the two sides don't find a solution, RBA would be a coveted pickup" (again, presumably correct)

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
What needs to be walked back? Unless I'm mistaken, the initial report stated

"The two sides were close to a deal" (presumably correct)
"The current offer has been taken off the table" (nothing thus far has said otherwise)
"If the two sides don't find a solution, RBA would be a coveted pickup" (again, presumably correct)
It was much worse than that. His future was very much in doubt, etc etc

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It was much worse than that. His future was very much in doubt, etc etc

He started with "His future is up in the air", which is factually true. It does give off an implication that is likely false, and it's likely worded that way for a reason, but again, nothing to walk back. Especially when he covers his basis by adding "Sources say Brindamour wants to stay as head coach", which would imply he's likely to stay.

Again, it's a matter of what's factually true and what people read into those statements.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

He started with "His future is up in the air", which is factually true. It does give off an implication that is likely false, and it's likely worded that way for a reason, but again, nothing to walk back. Especially when he covers his basis by adding "Sources say Brindamour wants to stay as head coach", which would imply he's likely to stay.

Again, it's a matter of what's factually true and what people read into those statements.

Well you are missing the local folks who piled on by adding his future was in doubt based on “confidants.”

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well you are missing the local folks who piled on by adding his future was in doubt based on “confidants.”

Well, considering everyone I thought was considered "local" was accused of being "NY media", I'm not sure who you're referring to.

But assuming you mean Weekes and Civ, again, I could be mistaken, but I believe most of them were simply saying that Dreger's info was not made up (as he was being accused of) and his info was correct.

All Weekes says here is that Carolina has pulled their offer.

And as for Sara Civ:

Neither statement there is false in any way either, nor do either of them say his future is in doubt.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Well, considering everyone I thought was considered "local" was accused of being "NY media", I'm not sure who you're referring to.

But assuming you mean Weekes and Civ, again, I could be mistaken, but I believe most of them were simply saying that Dreger's info was not made up (as he was being accused of) and his info was correct.

All Weekes says here is that Carolina has pulled their offer.

And as for Sara Civ:

Neither statement there is false in any way either, nor do either of them say his future is in doubt.

However they do HEAVILY imply that we must be low-balling him despite the fact that there's no numerical/empirical evidence to support anything like that. And the "offer has been pulled" is an intentional hyperbole compared to "latest offers are still being negotiated". Factually true but intentionally misleading is honestly just as bad as being factually untrue.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
However they do HEAVILY imply that we must be low-balling him despite the fact that there's no numerical/empirical evidence to support anything like that. And the "offer has been pulled" is an intentional hyperbole compared to "latest offers are still being negotiated". Factually true but intentionally misleading is honestly just as bad as being factually untrue.
I mean just rewatch Weekes and O'Neill on that video segment and then try to argue they were just innocently reporting a story factually. They did a 10 minute deep dive into how cheap the Carolina Hurricanes organization was and how horrible an owner Tom Dundon is for his treatment of Brindy. So to now hear that it was only people around him who were stirring this pot, and not Brindy himself, it all reeks. And it reeks of those 2, O'Neill and Weekes, being major players in it.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Well, if Friedman's report is correct, we were (again) offering a rather low offer to RBA, which caused friends and others around to believe he was being taken advantage of. And it's quite possible that that discourse caused the initial low offer to be pulled from the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad