TSN: Ray Ferraro "Nylander isn't playing himself into a long-term contract"

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
It's not possible to be any softer than he is. He's a coach killer and needs to go ASAP. He's a one trick pony, who can't do his trick right now. He's never gonna be a guy you can win with. Time for Babcock to make him an example.

I think that's a tad hasty.

Nylander has fantastic potential and when he matures (which takes TIME) he's going to be a catalyst for seasons to come.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
None of them are getting paid at this rate. JVR deserves more than Nylander/Marner

Matthews is the only one who plays competent defense when hes not scoring, and still close to a 40 goal pace while having a terrible year offensively IMO. Wouldnt give him over 10

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Everyone knew at draft time that Nylander was a primaddona. Hence why he "fell" to the Leafs. It's just going to get more obvious as time goes on that he just doesn't have it. Can't teach heart. You will either go to the tough areas and pay the price defensively to make winning plays or you won't.. And this kid will not change. He's been coddled his whole life. Babcock isn't here to stroke his ego.

This opinion is so ridiculous I wouldn’t be surprised if you were the real Dave Poulin.

leafs10101

Jan 8, 2018
Everyone knew at draft time that Nylander was a primaddona. Hence why he "fell" to the Leafs. It's just going to get more obvious as time goes on that he just doesn't have it. Can't teach heart. You will either go to the tough areas and pay the price defensively to make winning plays or you won't.. And this kid will not change. He's been coddled his whole life. Babcock isn't here to stroke his ego.

lsjdfsldfj

Last edited:

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
nylander can barely put in a decent effort in a contract year imagine the kind of effort hell be putting in after signing a fat contract

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008

It takes a lot of courage to step up and speak as bravely as you did when you're so completely full of shit.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Contract decisions shouldn't be made just based on results, it should be based on a projection of what he can provide going forward.

1) Nylander has shown that he has the ability to be a PPG winger, and he's shown a willingness to work on his issues.
2) Has it been consistent, and has he shown that he can keep that up this season? No.

But 1) is what we should base our contract decision on, and 2) is what potentially gives us the possibility to do it on better terms.

Some folks were comparing him to Draisaitl...8 years, $8.5 million per? No way.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Well, Draisaitl isn't worth Draisaitl money either so it's hard to know what to take from that comparison, to be honest.

Draisaitl's agent preyed on the Oilers...waited until McDavid took a discount...then ramped up the asking price from $7.5 million to $8.5 million, and look where they are now. Hopefully, we sign Willy to a good contract.

Reactions: Menzinger

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It's not possible to be any softer than he is. He's a coach killer and needs to go ASAP. He's a one trick pony, who can't do his trick right now. He's never gonna be a guy you can win with. Time for Babcock to make him an example.

Are you the actual Dave Poulin? Because I don't think I can find another explanation for your viewpoints.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
None of them are getting paid at this rate. JVR deserves more than Nylander/Marner

Matthews is the only one who plays competent defense when hes not scoring, and still close to a 40 goal pace while having a terrible year offensively IMO. Wouldnt give him over 10

matthews shouldn't get more than 7 the way he's playing. marner should get the league minimum wage.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
All 3 guys are thinking it... This System is holding me back a bit.. we see it, they live it...

BUT...

Matthews goes with it, and it shows, plays both ways. Hes still our best player.

Marner tries, he does, but he needs a strength and conditioning program Pronto! Could argue he needs AHL time

Nylander is the only one who is coasting around lazily and caught red handed 4 - 5 times on goals vs us. Needs a new role to shake him up a bit

Reactions: hullsy47

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
For whatever reason Ferraro doesn’t seem to like the Nylanders. He frequently takes pot shots at Nylander for lack of effort in games, was ripping on Alex during the WJC this year and even managed to knock Michael a few times this WJC
I disagree ray talks positive about nylander and played with his dad .if anything hes helping nylander get back to the level.
I think hes saying right now today a kadri like bridge deal is what hes looking at
how can u under pay conor brown and pay nylander and marner more .

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
matthews shouldn't get more than 7 the way he's playing. marner should get the league minimum wage.

Matthews is playing in the 7-8 range
Nylander in the 5
Marnee in about the 5

If its any more than that, probably overpays

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
It works better for Nylander, as a doubt Marner would take an extension at this point with his contract going for another year.

I think Nylander under a $6 mill AAV could be had now, unless he steps it up the rest of the season. I mean if you get him on a 6 year, $5.5 AAV that's good. And even though he may not accept it, I've push the same deal on Marner ... Because he won't sign for cheap to sign long term at this rate unless it's a reasonable value. What could help Mitch to take such a deal would be to also extend Matthews at the same time. Try to get all three together as a big event for the future of the team.
I could see Marner re-signing in the off season. He’s a local boy and doesn’t seem like the type of person to play hard ball.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
He’s not. He’s having a sophomore slump like most professionals do which is good for Toronto. He’ll re-Sign and bounce back.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Well, since you brought that up....no thanks, not playing. That said, young players aren't going to want to come to/stay here and play for stubborn Babcock.

Source: Ask any Red Wings fan.

Yeah, it sure kept Marleau away. Enough with the nonsense about Babcock. The only players who may have an issue with Babcock are lazy and uncommitted to playing solid 2-way hockey. Which is what he is trying to weed out.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I think I like Nylander more than the average fan, but unfortunately Ferraro is 100% correct. Need to see more

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I for one am shocked kids like Nylander and Marner aren't finished products yet, it's almost like they're still young and learning or something. Quite honestly, listening to the nonsense about Marner going to the minors, Nylander a one dimensional liability, it just shows how many "observers" are just clueless. I'm reminded of the hate Kadri got at this age, "junior hockey giveaways", "selfish play", "weak", "one dimensional". Again, people are just clueless, not everyone is a generational talent who just proceeds without hiccups and resets. I LOVE these two kids, we are LUCKY to have them and in the end, the detractors will look like fools. Book it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad