Votes: 1 1.5%
  • F - I am a miserable person

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
One week down and KD signed a number of vets surprising many. Some are one year deals that added depth but also to likely move at the deadline. Others got a bit longer term that should end right when we are ready to compete for a lengthy playoff run. What is everyones thoughts so far on how the Hawks have done this summer?

The moves:
Tyler Bertuzzi to a four-year, $5.5 million deal.
Teuvo Teravainen to a three-year, $5.4 million deal.
Alec Martinez to a one-year, $4 million contract
Pat Maroon. It's a one-year deal at a $1.3 million
Laurent Brossoit to a two-year contract at a cap hit of $3.3 million
Craig Smith on a one-year, $1 million deal.
T.J. Brodie on a two-year contract at a cap hit of $3.75 million

Plus a number of RFA's have been extended as well like Anderson, Guttman and Reichel

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If all goes well we drafted a top 2 defenseman and a big, physical, 2C. After that he removed the AHL junk off the roster and replaced it with NHL vet depth. So now we can still draft top 5 but Bedard can play on an actual NHL team.

I love it. I love he was aggressive trading draft picks and trying to make something happen. Even if it didn't pan out exactly as he hoped, he was at least trying.

A for me

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
C+, no big decisions, no interesting grades. This would translate to an A+++ on the athletic or NHL network.

Good contracts and good improvements made to a plan that showed it's flaws last year.

Moving forward, no big decisions yet (such as: Core acquisition, major hires, franchise changing contracts, ownership interventions)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Reasonably pleased, I'd say a B.

And we're all miserable people.
I agree with the B, we brought in solid vets, filled some holes, made our youth have to earn ice- all while not blowing our load on term as most will be easily moveable with some decent returns coming back.

There are different levels of miserable though, there is normal and then there is BWC defcon level 5 miserable- can you clarify which level you are talking about?

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
One week down and KD signed a number of vets surprising many. Some are one year deals that added depth but also to likely move at the deadline. Others got a bit longer term that should end right when we are ready to compete for a lengthy playoff run. What is everyones thoughts so far on how the Hawks have done this summer?

The moves:
Tyler Bertuzzi to a four-year, $5.5 million deal.
Teuvo Teravainen to a three-year, $5.4 million deal.
Alec Martinez to a one-year, $4 million contract
Pat Maroon. It's a one-year deal at a $1.3 million
Laurent Brossoit to a two-year contract at a cap hit of $3.3 million
Craig Smith on a one-year, $1 million deal.
T.J. Brodie on a two-year contract at a cap hit of $3.75 million

Plus a number of RFA's have been extended as well like Anderson, Guttman and Reichel
How did you forget the Vlasic signing which he knocked out of the park?

Also should probably include the draft and how you feel about that. I overall gave him an A, I feel like Kyle addressed almost everything he needed to. No albatross contracts, filled the holes needed etc.

It’d probably be an A- if that were an option since the draft could be viewed as a little iffy but overall still did well.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
A for some very good moves like Vlasic, TT, Bert, Brossoit and Martinez signings.
B for the draft, some really good picks, would have preferred someone other than Levshunov, and Boisvert, but still solid picks.
C for the trade for Mikheyev
D for signings of Maroon, Smith and Brodie

So probably give it a B-

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
How did you forget the Vlasic signing which he knocked out of the park?

Also should probably include the draft and how you feel about that. I overall gave him an A, I feel like Kyle addressed almost everything he needed to. No albatross contracts, filled the holes needed etc.

It’d probably be an A- if that were an option since the draft could be viewed as a little iffy but overall still did well.
Because it wasn't signed during the offseason (end of April is still in that season) and I already stated below we signed RFA's lol....

The draft won't play out for 3-5 years, no thanks, you rate the GM on his "offseason" moves that will effect our nhl roster next year.

Last edited:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Really significant improvement to the roster without overcommitting term. I would have gone a different way at the draft, but if the picks develop they will fill some major holes on the roster. Hopefully will have some luck this year with health to enable getting a return on Hall at the TD and the kids develop.

Really excited by the talent pipeline and organization depth. We'll go 20 deep and there will still be guys who have NHL potential. Just hoping that they continue to progress.

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
A for some very good moves like Vlasic, TT, Bert, Brossoit and Martinez signings.
B for the draft, some really good picks, would have preferred someone other than Levshunov, and Boisvert, but still solid picks.
C for the trade for Mikheyev
D for signings of Maroon, Smith and Brodie

So probably give it a B-
A-Levshunov, Vlasic re-sign, TT, Bertuzzi
B-Martinez, Mustard, Spellacy
C-Boisvert, Vanacker, Brodie, Brossoit, Smith
D- Mikheyev, Maroon

I am a solid C+ but this is way early peak with not knowing what draft will look like in future.. mostly not a fan of Maroon and Mikheyev and though made 1-2 more additions in FA than necessary. I am on the team build around players like Bedard (TT & Bertuzzi -great moves), Nazar, Korchinski not road block them

• Haha
Reactions: ChiHawks10

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
A-Levshunov, Vlasic re-sign, TT, Bertuzzi
B-Martinez, Mustard, Spellacy
C-Boisvert, Vanacker, Brodie, Brossoit, Smith
D- Mikheyev, Maroon

I am a solid C+ but this is way early peak with not knowing what draft will look like in future.. mostly not a fan of Maroon and Mikheyev and though made 1-2 more additions in FA than necessary. I am on the team build around players like Bedard (TT & Bertuzzi -great moves), Nazar, Korchinski not road block them

Getting a free 2nd round pick to get an NHL body was a D move? Signing a 4th liner to a 1-year contract was a D move? What?

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
Getting a free 2nd round pick to get an NHL body was a D move? Signing a 4th liner to a 1-year contract was a D move? What?
yupp.. took on a bum who never recovered from bad injury for 2nd rd pick, would have rather just had Slaggert play and develop over gaining this waste of cap..and ya a 4th liner on 1yr deal what is the purpose??

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
yupp.. took on a bum who never recovered from bad injury for 2nd rd pick, would have rather just had Slaggert play and develop over gaining this waste of cap..and ya a 4th liner on 1yr deal what is the purpose??
They simply cannot keep icing a minor league hockey team until all of the sudden they are ready to fill the roster with prospects. That was never going to be the plan. Partially because of Bedard- they owe it to a talent like him not to make his early years in the league miserable, plus while you probably aren't necessarily worried about his development being stunted, it's not good for a player like him to be on a team that never has the puck.

But it's also a culture thing. You can't keep trotting Reese Johnson, Mackenzie Entwhistle and Jared Tinordi out there after the past two years and act like you're trying to build a winner. There are tons of marginal improvements to make without pushing this team's timeline too far ahead of schedule. You could double their point total from last year and they'd be 4th in the central. Getting to 75 points won't break the rebuild but it will mark a shift away from getting their brains beaten in every night. They will still be bottom five in the league and draft a high-end prospect. Guys like Slaggert can develop in Rockford until they are ready to definitively push proven NHL players out of the lineup. This is how it's supposed to work

scorehawks

Feb 13, 2021
Watched KD's 30 minute press conference. This guy and his team have a plan, and are sticking with it. His confidence is impressive. This is going to work out.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Teravainen - A+
High IQ hockey player, will help the PP tremendously, and elevate Bedard.

Bertuzzi - A
While he has his flaws, he's a bigger guy whos scrappy and will go to the net, and be a 'protector' for Bedard

Martinez - A
Smart veteran defender with multiple cups, will add some stability to the back end, and only 1 year is unreal.

Brossoit - A

Perfect 1B to Mrazek, but not good enough to ruin the 'tank' ;)

Brodie - B
Most people hate this, but if he rebounds, he could form a shutdown pairing with Vlasic, freeing up Seth Jones for more offensive duties.

Maroon / C.Smith - C
I would have preferred someone younger/can play C effectively. We have enough vets/wingers up front.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
B+

I think the draft is much better than a lot of people have given the Hawks credit for. Sure, I would have taken Demidov/Stolberg instead of Levshunov/Boisvert but what do I know? I sure as hell didn't scout and interview these players like the Hawks did. I just read and watch some Youtube clips so I'm not going to pretend my opinion is better than the Hawks. In terms of free agency, I like getting Brodie and Martinez for their veteran presence. Brodie especially is cooked so he's not going to make the Hawks much better but they both allow the Hawks to properly slot their prospects or keep them in Rockford. Not a fan of Bertuzzi but he does have some skill and give Bedard another person to play with. Who isn't happy about TT coming back? Overall, they're still not worth watching anything more than extended highlights on Youtube but are clearly headed in the right direction.

Reactions: bwana63

giza

Jul 19, 2011
He's done more and better than expected on the UFA's.....I don't think he managed the draft as well. ...so gets a "B".

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
They simply cannot keep icing a minor league hockey team until all of the sudden they are ready to fill the roster with prospects. That was never going to be the plan. Partially because of Bedard- they owe it to a talent like him not to make his early years in the league miserable, plus while you probably aren't necessarily worried about his development being stunted, it's not good for a player like him to be on a team that never has the puck.

But it's also a culture thing. You can't keep trotting Reese Johnson, Mackenzie Entwhistle and Jared Tinordi out there after the past two years and act like you're trying to build a winner. There are tons of marginal improvements to make without pushing this team's timeline too far ahead of schedule. You could double their point total from last year and they'd be 4th in the central. Getting to 75 points won't break the rebuild but it will mark a shift away from getting their brains beaten in every night. They will still be bottom five in the league and draft a high-end prospect. Guys like Slaggert can develop in Rockford until they are ready to definitively push proven NHL players out of the lineup. This is how it's supposed to work
you mean like having 36 yr old Foligno, 35yr old Maroon, 34 yr old Smith, 33 yr old Hall, 30 yr old Athanasiou, 29 yr old Bertuzzi, 29 yr old Dickinson, 29 yr old TT.... Blackhawks went from 1 of the youngest teams to one of the oldest really quick with barely any of the vets considered part of the core. Yes TT and Bertuzzi upgrade the roster around Bedard which is the plan but Smith, Maroon are just blocking young guys who should be mixed in with above.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
There's a lot of energy I don't get here.

I don't get why you think players are blocked. If they can't earn NHL spots. They should be in the AHL. There's zero forward prospects, obvious excluding Bedard, who can't develop at the AHL level still.

It's not them being blocked. It's rushing them if you give them spots unearned like Korchinski got last year.

Reactions: Giovi

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
you mean like having 36 yr old Foligno, 35yr old Maroon, 34 yr old Smith, 33 yr old Hall, 30 yr old Athanasiou, 29 yr old Bertuzzi, 29 yr old Dickinson, 29 yr old TT.... Blackhawks went from 1 of the youngest teams to one of the oldest really quick with barely any of the vets considered part of the core. Yes TT and Bertuzzi upgrade the roster around Bedard which is the plan but Smith, Maroon are just blocking young guys who should be mixed in with above.
The goal isn't to be one of the youngest teams in the league, and the vets shouldn't be considered part of the core of a rebuild team.

No one is blocking anyone, if Slaggert performs better than Maroon, or Smith, he'll get a spot. But Slaggert, Nazar, etc, don't need a spot. Nothing wrong with them playing in the AHL all year.

Reactions: Giovi and ClydeLee

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

The bum who never recovered from injury would have been 5th on the Hawks in scoring last year. And the 4th liner was signed to... play on the 4th line. Again, what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad