Management Rate Staios so far

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rate Staios as GM so far.

• 5 stars, perfect, immaculate performance.

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 4 stars, very good.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • 3 stars good but could have done better.

Votes: 42 38.5%
  • 2 stars, acceptable but had higher expectations.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • 1 star, fire Staios, unacceptable performance.

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
So how do we rate Staios so far?

Consider all the trades, moves and signings he has and hasn't made so far. Including Tarasenko, Ullmark, Chychrun, Joseph, Pinto and the rest

The poll is about your overall impression, we can discuss individual trades in the comments...

Reactions: guyzeur

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Steve Staois check list

- defends his players and controls the media. His best attribute

- depth in organization (Alfie talked to Ulmark, Green knew Tocchet who recommended Yeom Staois knows Poulin and this depth is what has helped turn the team around so quickly

- cap management. Getting rid of Korpisalo, creating cap space, having space to play is underrated,

- talent evaluation is miles above where it was before

- he’s in good shape, well read, intelligent, calm, purposeful

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I gave him 4 stars but I would say that it’s based on circumstances and what he has to work with. If this was his off-season 3 years from now, I’d be less impressed.

I think he did a good job making changes with players he didn’t acquire, limited cap space and with the pressure of basically having to get this going very quickly as the Brady stuff looms over him.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He's done a good job so far with what he was given and the parameters he had

I wasn't a fan of having to pay to give up Jospeh, but that's obviously based on a a discrepency between what I think and the leagfue does. Blows my mind teams would pay a 2nd and 4th to add Tanner Jeannot because he hits, completely ignoring the part that he sucks at hockey but wouldn't pick Joseph up off waivers for free. In saying that, why didn't we just waive him first?

Ullmark/Korpisalo was unbelievable

Chychrun/Jensen I'm perfectly fine with, but I was definietly low on Chychrun. Team makeup actually makes sense now

The draft, not so hot on

Amadio and Gregor are good adds for the 4th and 3rd line

Perron brings a lot of experience and should be good for 40ish points. Maybe overpaid a bit, but that's life if your the Sens. DiMaio has known and been with Perron for 10 seasons in his career, will defer to his expertise right now as his first line of business with the Sens

I'm perfectly fine with Green in as coach

Last edited:

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Not much has happened.

Travis Green: I have no idea. TBD.

Korpisalo: A+

Chychrun: Hard to think they couldn't have gotten something better if they traded him last season at some point. B-

Draft: I have no clue. TBD.

Getting rid of Joseph, Kastelic, Kelly, Brannstrom etc: B+.

Still not much to go on overall. Staois was left in a terrible situation and I don't see how he could've done significantly better.

Reactions: SweSensFan

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
He's done a good job so far with what he was given and the parameters he had

I wasn't a fan of having to pay to give up Jospeh, but that's obviously based on a a discrepency between what I think and the leagfue does. Blows my mind teams would pay a 2nd and 4th to add Tanner Jeannot because he hits, completely ignoring the part that he sucks at hockey but wouldn't pick Joseph up off waivers for free. In saying that, why didn't we just waive him first?

Ullmark/Korpisalo was unbelievable

Chychrun/Jensen I'm perfectly fine with, but I was definietly low on Chychrun. Team makeup actually makes sense now

The draft, not so hot on

Amadio and Gregor are good adds for the 4th and 3rd line

Perron brings a lot of experience and should be good for 40ish points. Maybe overpaid a bit, but that's life if your the Sens. DiMaio has known and been with Perron for 10 seasons in his career, will defer to his expertise right now as his first line of business with the Sens

I'm perfectly fine with Green in as coach
About Joseph, also give us the ability to sign and make Pinto happy
Still have 1.9M left,
Serenity back in HFB - Ottawa,
PRICELESS

Reactions: SweSensFan

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Let's play a game of "Which GM did this?"

1. Traded a 1RP for a player on an expiring contract before they even discussed a contract extension.
2. Signed a scoring winger to a big enough contract that it put us in a cap bind to sign Pinto.
3. That scoring winger signing means we had to pay to unload Joseph, instead of recouping an asset.
4. Made a pretty significant reach at the draft with our 1RP, taking a guy at 7 who was consensus ranked in the mid-teens.
5. Offloaded a 26yo top 4 D, who has another 8 years of NHL-quality play in him, for a guy who will be 34 when the season starts and has 2, maaaaaaybe 3, more years of NHL-quality play in him.
6. Talked about adding veterans and experience to the lineup in the lead up to the offseason and the only guy he brought in who fits that description is Perron, who more or less is exactly the same thing Tarasenko brought the year before.

Here's the thought exercise: assign the rating if the GM's name is Staios and then do it again if the GM's name was Dorion. Let's see how closely they align.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Fairly obvious that SS and crew wanted to rid the team of Korpisalo, Chychrun and Joseph. Players characterized by highly inconsistent play and lack of focus. In Korpi's case they got a great return back on him but with the others it was get the best deal and run. Sens management wants to change the culture and correct the mistakes of the past and these moves go a long way to doing that.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
For me his trading leaves something to be desired, especially when he is selling. He did great in going to acquire a goalie where he is the buyer. But the 2 major deals where he is the seller (Tarasenko and Chychrun) he has crapped the bed. In both cases he lacked the patience to wait for a better return.

Tarasenko, yes he was limited by the NMC, but he traded him 2 days before the deadline. He should have made it clear to Tarasenko that hey FLA made an offer but its not enough we are keeping you and to FLa that he would not move him for that return. If you have to cave in do it at the deadline not 2 days before.

Again with Chychrun, why trade him for an underwhelming return before free agency opens? wait until after a team misses out on thier guy on July 1 and are now desperate for a d-man with Chychrun's abilities. Its not like he needed to free up cap space before free agency as that trade only freed up about 600K.

He is quickly earning himself a reputation for not being a tough negotiator while selling. What happens if one of the stars pulls a Heatley and demands out- do we think Staios is the guy to maximize return on a forced sale?

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016

1. Traded a 1RP for a player on an expiring contract before they even discussed a contract extension.
2. Signed a scoring winger to a big enough contract that it put us in a cap bind to sign Pinto.
3. That scoring winger signing means we had to pay to unload Joseph, instead of recouping an asset.
4. Made a pretty significant reach at the draft with our 1RP, taking a guy at 7 who was consensus ranked in the mid-teens.
5. Offloaded a 26yo top 4 D, who has another 8 years of NHL-quality play in him, for a guy who will be 34 when the season starts and has 2, maaaaaaybe 3, more years of NHL-quality play in him.
6. Talked about adding veterans and experience to the lineup in the lead up to the offseason and the only guy he brought in who fits that description is Perron, who more or less is exactly the same thing Tarasenko brought the year before.

Here's the thought exercise: assign the rating if the GM's name is Staios and then do it again if the GM's name was Dorion. Let's see how closely they align.
The difference is that Staois didn't put himself in a situation where he has very few good options. Dorion did.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Staois evaluation of the league today and how much it’s changed in the last 2 seasons is as big a change and his pivote to a meaner, bigger, hungrier team is my biggest reason for confidence

Reactions: LiseL

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

I was a huge Chychrun fan when he got here but his play last year was baffling. A physical specimen that shied away from contact who consistently made mind numbing decisions in his own end with or without the puck. Maybe JC was tormented by the many vegans on the team but it was obvious his heart and mind weren't into playing with the Sens.

Reactions: LiseL

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Collectively his changes are for the most part in tune with the mantra they've set out when he got hired and the team was under assessment. I would wager that the recent moves were aided by feedback management has received from Alfie and Jacques assessment of the team throughout the season.

With regards to the individual transactions there are hit and misses which were affected by decisions by the previous regime.

I'm willing to give it time for everything to play out during the season. They ultimately need to sniff the playoffs this season.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

The framing of this is pretty dishonest.

- He traded a first round pick (which was a late first) to acquire Ullmark AND dump Korpisalo - a bad contract he had nothing to do with.

- We were never going to recoup an asset for Joseph, we tried to move him all last summer and again this year. Nobody wanted him. Again, not Staios’ contract.

- The biggest problem with the Chychrun trade is what we gave up for him. Again, not Staios’ doing. He did what he had to in order to cover our actual needs, which is what we should have done in the first place rather than throwing three picks down the drain.

- Do Jensen and Ullmark not count as veterans? Amadio might not be a “vet” I guess but has a lot more playoff experience than our roster does, including a Stanley Cup.

If Staios is giving up picks to dump Amadio in 2 years and buying out Jensen next summer, he will get the same flack Dorion got. Can’t blame him because undoing the mess doesn’t look perfect.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If he gets Ullmark to extend and gets some more speed/tenacity/grit into the forwards I'll give a higher rating. I loved the Ullmark move. Haven't cared much for the rest. I like the idea of what they're trying to achieve. More veterans with experience, shoring up the RD. Have not liked the decisions and execution in terms of the players and their skillsets they brought in.

Anyone criticizing the Tarasenko deal simply does not understand leverage and has probably never negotiated anything in their lives.

The Joseph deal is the one I simply don't get. There was no deadline to do this.

I also don't like signing both Amadio and Perron super similar players. On a forward group that already lacks speed and has higher end skill RHS forwards. It's overkill and a waste.

I'm fine with thinking they needed to get rid of Joseph. But the roster construction up front is nothing like any teams that have real success in the league. More patience needed.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I would say 7/10

the ullmark deal was amazing, even with no extension, as we should be getting 1 year of above average goaltending and removed 3 million of dead cap from our cap sheet

chychrun deal was meh, i understand the logic and i also knew we would be getting less just based off his play last year but the return still seemed underwhelming

joseph trade still makes no sense to me in terms of having to pay to trade him but we did need the cap room. Also echoing what people have already said that it seems like the players that were very inconsistent/bad have been removed (joseph/chychrun/kasty/bran/korpisolo)

perron seems like a slight overpayment but we needed scoring depth, especially since we will probably see some giroux regression

amadio im fine with

draft, we definitely left some name value on the board with our picks based upon mock drafts but its too early to say, have to give it 2-3 years to see if the picks actually become nhlers or busts

Going to be interesting how the rest of the team is filled out as we got some cap room

So in summary, staios did well considering the handcuffs hat were placed on him, joseph return makes no sense and the chychrun return was still disappointing

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Went with a 3/5, better than average, especially considering he had his hands tied cap/asset wise.

The Ullmark/Korpisalo trade was an A++ and really helps the perception of the off-season. The Green hiring is TBD but I don't mind it after digesting it, wasn't what the fans wanted but I have a hard time thinking he's not going to be better than what they've had the last 5+ years. The draft seemed like more of the same with the team targeting size over everything, but Yakemchuk wasn't a massive reach and the guys they got in the later rounds all have intriguing profiles. I'm not a huge fan of what they did with the bottom-six, I'm not sure I see the big upgrade that others are seeing. To me it seems like they shuffled the deckchairs around a little bit. Chychrun value was bad and if Jensen plays like he did last season it's a clear loss. That felt like a bit of a panic move after they (presumably) missed on all their RD targets in FA. That being said I can see the logic from a roster building perspective to swap an LH OFD for a RH DFD.

All in all, the roster is more well rounded today than it was a couple weeks ago and while they weren't as aggressive as I would have liked it's not surprising given everything this regime has done/said since coming in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad