Rate Craig MacTavish's off-ice moves so far

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The fact that MacTavish managed to check goaltending off the list (for better or worse) for the summer is credit enough right now in regards to deadline day moves...

The trade deadline exists for teams to ship out rentals for picks/prospects. The Oilers didn't have anybody worth renting and don't want to spend assets on prospects.

MacT will largely be judged between the draft and the start of training camp. Which is unfortunately exactly where he failed last year.

Completely agree

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Happy with what MacT did.

If Gagner is being traded it can wait until the draft where he may actually have some value.

He got fair value for expiring assets considering the market today.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Wait what? Considering how Vanek and Penner, two vastly superior players to Hemsky who aren't detrimental influences to young players, returned Collberg+a conditional second and a 4th respectively, getting a 3rd and 5th for Hemsky is a coup. Nick Schultz is a very solid depth D-man the same way Patrick O'Sullivan is a future superstar, I would've taken a 7th for him.

I would not consider Vanek vastly superior to Hemsky. Superior yes. The vastly is a bit of an exaggeration.

Penner ?????????? Penner ???? wow. Not sure I even need to respond to that one. If you think Penner is even as good as Hemsky I am not sure if you have watched much hockey.

I suppose Penner does usually show up for the playoffs but then again so does Hemsky.

And if you really think P Sullivan is relatively equal as a forward as is N Shultz as a d-man there is something a bit off there as well.

N.Shultz will be gainfully employed as a full time bottom pairing d-man next year at the worst. Wth is Sullivan right now?

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Thought MacT did good. Fasth is yet to be determined but I respect finally moving Hemsky, he looks generally excited to be out of EDM and rightfully so. I'd imagine nobody wanted Smyth but I would have liked to see him shipped as well

all in all, not a bad start to rebuild number 2. Continue in June

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Not really because he made the first "big" winger move and set rental market to an all time low:laugh:

Pretty much f'd up negotiations for Moulson, Vanek, etc

I reckon Kesler probably would've been had but GMs around the league were probably saying "Hemsky only got a 3rd and 5th, Kesler...I'd say 1st and prospect at best"

Dustin Penner?
Edmonton fans have a fetish for underrating stay at home d-men. Shultz, in comparison to say Petry, J. Shultz, Larson, Potter, pretty much everyone minus Ferrence has been the best consistant overall defenseman on the Oil this year. Perhaps consistently bad is an accurate way to say it but also consistently better than his team mates as well.

Petry played great last game... but he has had a terrible year under Eakins.

J. Shultz has played great here and there... but he has had a terrible year under Eakins.

N. Shultz is one of the few who seemed to stay the same or perhaps even minor improvement from last year under Eakins.
It may perhaps be true that Oilers fans underrate stay at home defencemen, but we're talking about Nick Schultz here. He's been brutal against top 6 forwards (actually he's been brutal in general). Also Larsen and Potter get plenty of hate around here. N Schultz staying at the same level of play as last season isn't a good thing, because he was one of the worst players on the team last season.

McCrumb

Nov 13, 2005
Mac T's moves have been OK. Willing to give him some more time to see what he can do but he doesn't really seem to have much of a plan. I for one don't think swapping back up goalies and 4th liners will make you a contender. It can't hurt but until we are in a position to get some significant returns for one or two of our untouchables things will remain the same. It just seems that we make trades only when our players hold zero value. PRV got out of here just in time or he would be leaving today for a 5th.

Big Mess

Oct 9, 2010
Blame Tambo

Some people have to realize that most of the mess, we have on this team is made by Tambo. Why blame Mac-T for only getting a 3rd & 5th. When it was rumored That LA would have paid more for Hemsky Just before LA decided to go with Penner instead.

I don't have any inside info with the Oilers. But if rumors like that are in fact true and Tambo did nothing but sit on his @$$. That pisses me off more than Mac-T getting (current value) for Hemsky.

Not trying to defend Mac-T. He has made some mistakes but those mistakes can be buried, Waived, traded, Bought out, etc. Now if only those examples can be applied to Eakins.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Dustin Penner?

It may perhaps be true that Oilers fans underrate stay at home defencemen, but we're talking about Nick Schultz here. He's been brutal against top 6 forwards (actually he's been brutal in general). Also Larsen and Potter get plenty of hate around here. N Schultz staying at the same level of play as last season isn't a good thing, because he was one of the worst players on the team last season.

But then was passed in the suck chart by everyone else :)

I hate to say this, but you will notice Burke waited till the last minute and got a 2nd for Bera... and a third for Stempniak...

I think he won the deadline with those two moves.

With Stempniak for a 3rd in mind I think Mac T could of squeaked out a second from Pitts.

Damn you Calgary.

EDIT: I should clarify that I love a lot of Mac T's moves but his weak trades/contracts are balancing out his good ones. Consistent with the market value or not we did not even hypothetically/potentially get any assets back that will help us for Hemsky or Shultz. That sucks.

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
we have to remember that you cannot judge a persons decorations and furnishings until they clean out all of the crap that was left from teh previous owners.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Gordon-Jones
Joensuu-Hendricks-Gazdic

J.Schultz-Ference
Petry-Belov
Larsen-Fraser

Scrivens
Fasth

Underline-MacT acquisition
Bold-Tambellini acquisition (even though he wasn't Bold)
Italic-Lowe acquisition

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I would not consider Vanek vastly superior to Hemsky. Superior yes. The vastly is a bit of an exaggeration.

Penner ?????????? Penner ???? wow. Not sure I even need to respond to that one. If you think Penner is even as good as Hemsky I am not sure if you have watched much hockey.

I suppose Penner does usually show up for the playoffs but then again so does Hemsky.

And if you really think P Sullivan is relatively equal as a forward as is N Shultz as a d-man there is something a bit off there as well.

N.Shultz will be gainfully employed as a full time bottom pairing d-man next year at the worst. Wth is Sullivan right now?
Thomas Vanek is a two time 40 goal scorer and has never once in his career scored less than 20, including the lockout, Ales Hemsky is a two time 20 goal scorer. Vanek has more career points and almost double Hemsky's career goals in less games. In 2012-2013 Vanek had as many goals as Hemsky had points in an equal number of games. In 2013-2014, Vanek is near ppg and Hemsky isn't even 0.5ppg despite his strong game yesterday. I'd say Vanek is quite obviously a vastly superior player to Hemsky.

Dustin Penner has better stats across the board this season than Hemsky in less games, while playing a more physical game and being an immovable object, while being able to fill much rarer roles such as screening the goalie. He's a much more desirable piece than Hemsky, and the only thing that's similar about them is that they pick and choose to show up for select stretches of games nowadays.

We don't actually know if Hemsky shows up for the playoffs, it's happened once in his career where basically three quarters of the roster elevated their games and had best the 24 game stretch of their careers, meanwhile Hemsky dropped from an 80 point pace to not even a 60 point pace in the playoffs.

Kulleroinen*

Well... what we have whined about here at HFoil:

Goaltending: check

Better bottom 6: check

Big #2c: not yet

Trade Hemsky/Gagner/Schultz/Schultz/Eberle/Marincin/Potter/Dubnyk/whatnot: Glad that he has not done all that. In fact I think he has traded the right players.

Also I don't mind him getting some more picks, because our forward prospect pool does not look good at all. Even if they are later picks, some of them might pan out.

8/10

Last edited by a moderator:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Thomas Vanek is a two time 40 goal scorer and has never once in his career scored less than 20, including the lockout, Ales Hemsky is a two time 20 goal scorer. Vanek has more career points and almost double Hemsky's career goals in less games. In 2012-2013 Vanek had as many goals as Hemsky had points in an equal number of games. In 2013-2014, Vanek is near ppg and Hemsky isn't even 0.5ppg despite his strong game yesterday. I'd say Vanek is quite obviously a vastly superior player to Hemsky.

Dustin Penner has better stats across the board this season than Hemsky in less games, while playing a more physical game and being an immovable object, while being able to fill much rarer roles such as screening the goalie. He's a much more desirable piece than Hemsky, and the only thing that's similar about them is that they pick and choose to show up for select stretches of games nowadays.

We don't actually know if Hemsky shows up for the playoffs, it's happened once in his career where basically three quarters of the roster elevated their games and had best the 24 game stretch of their careers, meanwhile Hemsky dropped from an 80 point pace to not even a 60 point pace in the playoffs.

Vanek is on a 0.88 ppg pace. Is a great goal scorer and that is better than a play maker in my books but ppg career combined with ice time I think you will find these two closer than you think. Both are not considered two way player and bring nothing to the table besides an offensive component.

And I believe the reason Penner got traded had a lot to do with him being more of a immovable object and less because he plays a physical game. You have a very selective memory if you think Penner plays a physical game. I've seen him muscled off the puck by Scott Gomez and Zidlickey like he was a school boy.

And maybe my memory is rusty but I remember Hemsky being incredibly clutch in that 2006 run.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Edmonton fans have a fetish for underrating stay at home d-men. Shultz, in comparison to say Petry, J. Shultz, Larson, Potter, pretty much everyone minus Ferrence has been the best consistant overall defenseman on the Oil this year. Perhaps consistently bad is an accurate way to say it but also consistently better than his team mates as well.

Petry played great last game... but he has had a terrible year under Eakins.

J. Shultz has played great here and there... but he has had a terrible year under Eakins.

N. Shultz is one of the few who seemed to stay the same or perhaps even minor improvement from last year under Eakins.

I think you went 0/4 in this post

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Updated
Hemsky trade today 4/10
Fasth trade 7/10
Not trading Gagner for scraps in a buyers market 7/10
Trading Schultz 6/10
Scrivens contract 9/10

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
We all need to remember that if Tambo was here, he likely would have sat on Hemsky and we would have lost him to free agency. Similar moves with Schultz, and Bryz.

That guy did nothing.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I gave him a 7...

We can sit and complain and I'll be the first to say there's a little to much arrogance with no respect for my liking.

Having said that, this organization was gutted and he's had little to work with.

We seen today it's a buyers market. Moving a guy like Gagner for proper or even equivalent value just doesn't appear to have had a market.

Hemsky's return is about as much as we could've hoped for given some of the other deals.

He's shored up the goaltending. Unlike Vancouver, the Oilers 180 in net should be commended.

Not moving this year on guys like Klesla looks to have been the right choice. Guy was moved twice in a day and cleared twice this year. Hard to imagine Potter was better, but I guess.

Perron is looking like a steal at this point.

Hendricks is providing some leadership and grit in the bottom six. Obviously won that trade also.

Not moving one of the four is still kind of a toss up. Let's see what kind of moves are available at the draft.

Picking Nurse is still up in the air for me. I wanted Nichushkin but I understand why they did what they did. He's having a great year in the Soo so hopefully I was wrong.

A negative? I wouldn't have taken Europeans as high as he did in the draft. 2nd thru 5th round picks need to fill out your organizations. To worried about them never coming or not willing to work hard enough.

Think they would've been a little better with Horcoff but once again, I think we all understand the necessity to do so.

Ference, although he hasn't been good, was the type of signings they are going to have to make. You're gonna win some, lose some. Gordon was a win. A bit overpaid but a win nonetheless. This summer they'll add a couple more. Probably a Matt Greene type on D and a guy like Steven Bernier up front. With not being a UFA preferred place, these are the stop gap type moves they'll need.

Lastly, I think we owe a great deal of gratitude to Nonis for not giving MacT a 3 on this rating... Signing Clarkson for less than an Oilers offer helped this team in the long run.

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
Mctavish shouldn't get a pass because of how bad an old gm was that our current management hired. Majority of Mac ts moves are useless. IMO he is doing exactly what tambo was doing, trading for bottom pairing Defense and forwards and hopefuls in net. Making a lot of trades for the sake of trading is not going to help the oilers.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Mctavish shouldn't get a pass because of how bad an old gm was that our current management hired. Majority of Mac ts moves are useless. IMO he is doing exactly what tambo was doing, trading for bottom pairing Defense and forwards and hopefuls in net. Making a lot of trades for the sake of trading is not going to help the oilers.

He's doing nothing...?

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
I'm no Hemsky fan, I think a few people here can vouch for me, but I think MacT should have tried harder. A 3rd round pick in the hands of the Oilers is as dangerous as a beach ball and just completely lacks imagination.

Surely there must be a kid in the ahl somewhere that was close to becoming a 3rd line rw'er or something. An Arcobello, or a Lennart Petrell type. Just someone who was guaranteed to play at least 40 games, maybe turn out to be a steal.

I could have gotten more than a 3rd round pick for Hemsky, no kidding.

And a 5th, lmao.

I was snooping on hockeydb the other day and noticed that the Oilers have turned about 3 kids into nhl'ers from the 3rd round since 1988. It's like the kiss of death being drafted here in that round.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I'm no Hemsky fan, I think a few people here can vouch for me, but I think MacT should have tried harder. A 3rd round pick in the hands of the Oilers is as dangerous as a beach ball and just completely lacks imagination.

Surely there must be a kid in the ahl somewhere that was close to becoming a 3rd line rw'er or something. An Arcobello, or a Lennart Petrell type. Just someone who was guaranteed to play at least 40 games, maybe turn out to be a steal.

I could have gotten more than a 3rd round pick for Hemsky, no kidding.
A third round pick in the hands of MacT might land you a Ben Scrivens.

Fixed again? ;)

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
It's easy to flush the toilet if you make the prices low enough. I like that they are getting rid of a lot of dead weight and keeping salaries low. Getting this team back to a remote level of respectability between acquiring prospects and NHL players will be the tough part.

I haven't minded his player moves so far. Goaltending looks very stable suddenly and he didn't have to pay much in money or assets.

He may not like it but IMHO he's going to have to trade 2 of Eberle, Gagner and Yakupov at some point to make this defense major league quality. And he can't get boned in those trades or get guys that don't want to be here. I'd still hang on to Justin Schultz but try to give him a bridge contract that can be traded if needed, if he doesn't progress defensively.

His decision to dump Krueger and hire Eakins will be his biggest and most enduring one. Dumping Krueger can be understood but I don't think Eakins and Acton are going to take this team anywhere unfortunately. This team is better but playing far worse than last year and that's a bad sign.

I miss Slats so much. He was the undisputed boss of this team and ran it like a man. He was just Burke-ian at trading. Always seemed to pull whatever we needed out of thin air. Especially defensemen. Even when times were tough we were at least competitive. The Rangers have been up and down and he's won and lost deals and signings since he's been there but they are always competitive. Look at today's trade with Tampa Bay. That's a man's trade. Ryan Callahan's worth nowhere near what he's asking for so Sather booted him. David Clarkson part 2 coming up for some sucker team.

This team just plain sucks the past few years and when we get rid of junk we just seem to fill the spots with more junk. Hopefully some slightly positive recent acquisition history will carry on down the road.

Last edited:

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It's easy to flush the toilet if you make the prices low enough. I like that they are getting rid of a lot of dead weight and keeping salaries low. Getting this team back to a remote level of respectability between acquiring prospects and NHL players will be the tough part.

I haven't minded his player moves so far. Goaltending looks very stable suddenly and he didn't have to pay much in money or assets.

He may not like it but IMHO he's going to have to trade 2 of Eberle, Gagner and Yakupov at some point to make this defense major league quality. And he can't get boned in those trades or get guys that don't want to be here. I'd still hang on to Justin Schultz but try to give him a bridge contract that can be traded if needed, if he doesn't progress defensively.

His decision to dump Krueger and hire Eakins will be his biggest and most enduring one. Dumping Krueger can be understood but I don't think Eakins and Acton are going to take this team anywhere unfortunately. This team is better but playing far worse than last year and that's a bad sign.

I miss Slats so much. He was the undisputed boss of this team and ran it like a man. He was just Burke-ian at trading. Always seemed to pull whatever we needed out of thin air. Especially defensemen. Even when times were tough we were at least competitive. The Rangers have been up and down and he's won and lost deals and signings since he's been there but they are always competitive. Look at today's trade with Tampa Bay. That's a man's trade. Ryan Callahan's worth nowhere near what he's asking for so Sather booted him. David Clarkson part 2 coming up for some sucker team.

This team just plain sucks the past few years and when we get rid of junk we just seem to fill the spots with more junk. Hopefully some slightly positive recent acquisition history will carry on down the road.

I'm watching OKC right now too and there's nothing much there. That has to become a priority. Getting NHL caliber prospects. They need a development coach down there too. Go after Don Hay and get him to commit three years down there. The forwards are garbage for the most part. Gernat is the one D that stands out as an NHL caliber prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $110.00