Prospect Info: Rasmus Ristolainen (2013, 8th) – '14-15: Buffalo #55 (NHL) – 2015: Graduated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Ristolainen is closer to contributing than most everyone else in the draft. He's been playing against adult men in a top-level European league the past two years, at the age of 17 and 18.

Someone on defense will be traded, if not now then obviously in the future. Wouldn't be surprised to see Myers on the market now.
True. He is close. Rob, you seem to be knowing Finnish prospects well.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Hockey's Future profile:
2012-13: Ristolainen assumed a larger role for TPS in his second SM-Liiga season — skating in 52 games for Turku — and played for Finland at the 2013 World Junior Championship in Ufa. While the season was a disappointment team-wise (TPS missed the playoffs after finishing 13th in the 14-team league), Ristolainen was the team's leading scorer amongst defensemen. He scored 3 goals with 12 assists and was minus-seven with 32 penalty minutes; averaging 21:40 minutes of ice time. In six games for seventh-place Finland at the WJC he scored 2 goals with 4 assists and was plus-five. He joined TPS' U20 team for the league playoffs and scored 2 goals with 1 assist and was minus-five in five games. Ristolainen was ranked third among European skaters in Central Scouting's mid-term rankings prior to the 203 NHL Draft, and fourth in the CSS final rankings.
Rasmus Ristolainen has the size, skating ability and shooting and stick handling skills that make him an outstanding offensive defenseman prospect. Plays with a physical component to his game and has become more disciplined as he's gained more experience. Still developing in terms of positional play and defensive responsibilities - his calling card is his willingness to be involved in the play and to push the envelope at times.

nonoob12

Jun 16, 2012
Totally agree. Rasmus is so weird Finnish dman...look, he is big, huge shot and can clean crease and play physical. I want to see this guy in National Team jersey one day.

he has already played 5-6 games in mens national team this year at EHC.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Matias Strozyk of Eliteprospects.com says:
One of the best defensemen of his age group, Ristolainen was/is a top-prospect for the 2013 NHL Draft. He is a calm player with good two-way ability and a mature style of play, though his defensive awareness still needs work. Ristolainen moves the puck with confidence and though he's not a big-time hitter, he plays the body and likes to get physical in front of the net. He also has good mobility. Ristolainen has an excellent frame and has gained a lot of strength while playing in SM-liiga. He is good with the puck and solid defensively and has also displayed ability to work the powerplay in Finland's SM-liiga.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Copper & Blue -- Rasmus Ristolainen - Comparables.

Patrick King of Sportsnet writes:
Ristolainen plays a solid, well-rounded game. He possesses good size at six-foot-three, 201 pounds, and uses it advantageously to separate his man from the puck and to gain space. Ristolainen plays a very heady game and won’t force a play that isn’t there. He has a good shot and will jump up in the rush at a moment’s notice. His defensive game is polished, his hockey IQ is one of his greatest attributes and he will read and react to plays and situations well. Although his season finished on an underwhelming note, Ristolainen does so many things well that he should be a safe pick for a team seeking a two-way defenceman.

FanboySlayer*

Wouldn't be surprised to see Myers on the market now.

Why would you trade somebody whose trade value is at his lowest coming off a horrible season? The only way you do that is if you've decided the player is likely to get no better hoping another team thinks he can get his game back.

sonnEbunny

Apr 9, 2012
I saw him play in lake placid last August in Lake Placid, I had never heard of him and by the end of the second period I was sold that he was going to be a first round pick. At the game I saw him play against Sweden he was the best player on the ice IMO and there was a lot of talent out there. I'm thrilled with both of our picks far!

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Why would you trade somebody whose trade value is at his lowest coming off a horrible season? The only way you do that is if you've decided the player is likely to get no better hoping another team thinks he can get his game back.

The idea that his value is really low is speculation. Maybe Edmonton offers Eberle for Myers, or rnh, to get a guy that they can be patient with who is already locked up. You never know what is out there.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I'm not saying "put Myers on the block", I said I wouldn't be surprised to see it.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb:
“He's a mobile, strong, offensive-minded defenseman with very good puck-handling and passing skills. He's young, but he knows how to use his size and strength. He's one of the best young defensemen in Europe in his age group. He's a leader on the ice and plays with confidence."

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
So two draft picks makes Tyler Myers expendable?

As of today, Myers > Risto + Zadarov. You might get a bottom 4 guy and a European league player out of this. You do not trade the closest thing we have to (hopeful) franchise D because you picked up two guys who have yet to even play in a training camp.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
15 points in 50 something games.. yeah huge blue liner and potential franchise player? Is this a joke?

That's two times as much as Mikko Koivu (a center should I add) at his draft year (Koivu's stats: 7 points in 48 games) in the same team same league. Yeah 7 points in 40 something games... yeah first line center potential? Is it a joke drafting him in top 10? What does Minnesota think?

EDIT: sorry that was Koivu's stats post draft. Actually he had 1 point in 21 games in his draft year 00-01

Valanche

Feb 3, 2013
Maybe it's the lack of serious upside, but I will be personally surprised if he manages to get a NHL roster spot in the coming years. From what I've seen from him live, he can be lost defensively and overplay situations very badly. Average IQ and not much offensive upside.

sonnEbunny

Apr 9, 2012
Maybe it's the lack of serious upside, but I will be personally surprised if he manages to get a NHL roster spot in the coming years. From what I've seen from him live, he can be lost defensively and overplay situations very badly. Average IQ and not much offensive upside.

I could have caught him on a phenomenal couple of days but when I saw him play I instantly fell in love. He played in all situations, was mean and controlled gaps extremely well. I am judging off of only physically watching 2 games and going off of what scouts say but, I respectfully disagree with you I think he has a high upside and I think he could be in a Sabres uniform sooner rather than later.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The next Aki Berg?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So two draft picks makes Tyler Myers expendable?

As of today, Myers > Risto + Zadarov. You might get a bottom 4 guy and a European league player out of this. You do not trade the closest thing we have to (hopeful) franchise D because you picked up two guys who have yet to even play in a training camp.

No not as of today. Talking about down the road.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
The next Aki Berg?

In a sense there could be a chance for it if Ristolainen stops developing, but we should remember that Berg hadn't made the jump to pro in his draft year (0 points in 5 games in his draft year in TPS) he had his high draft status from second tier and junior games. Ristolainen was used as a defensive corner stone for TPS this year. Berg was promising but didn't reach his ceiling. In the end despite 600 NHL games played he was a bust.

International tournaments in draft year
Aki Berg U18EJC 5 games 1 point
Rasmus Ristolainen U20 WJC 6 games 6 points

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Teddy is pumped.

171991163_std.jpg

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Safe pick, I don't find this an exciting pick all that much. Probably a solid top 4 guy. I am more excited about Zadarov's potential.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Pronman's analysis:
8. Rasmus Ristolainen, Defense, TPS (SM-Liiga)

Ristolainen had a quality season in Finland, where he often logged tough, heavy minutes for TPS. That is an impressive role for an 18-year-old defenseman in that league. He is not a flashy player, but he does everything well. He best skill is his hockey sense. He thinks the game at a level well beyond his years, and he does not make many mistakes on the ice. He is an aware, effective defenseman who can close gaps with his body or with his stick. With the puck, he shows calmness, but he can process the game quickly when the situation calls for it. He can man the point on the power play. He is a solid to above-average skater (I have heard an NHL scout classify him as high end in that area). His puck handling is at a similar level; he can flash significant offensive ability, but the bulk of value will come from his work in his own zone. To that point, he will lay the body, and he can provide quality hits. He could fast track to the NHL quicker than a typical defense prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad