Value of: Rasmus Dahlin, 1 for 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
The only two players in the league I would have to consider trading 1:1 for our 1OA would be McD or MacK.

However, Dahlin fills such a gigantic organizational need that I wouldn't feel bad declining those offers if so presented to Botterill.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
There’s a difference between being excited about what Dahlin can bring to the Sabres. And what some fans expect him to definitely bring. Some expectations are obnoxious and those fans will be the first to slam him at every mistake in his rookie year. Happens all the time. Lofty expectations often breeds massive disappointment.

That being said, I’m sure (hope) he’ll DEVELOP into a top 10 Dman in the league. Eventually.

Is that too lofty a prediction or hope?

Reactions: sweetberrywine

WildThingRickVaughn

Apr 7, 2016
Is there a group of players that would be fair value for Rasmus, 1 for 1?

Ever see that movie being John Malkovich? We’ll I’d like to be Jarrett Stoll. I’d love to be any guy who is with Erin Andrews. If you can find me the secret tunnel that would allow me to do this, that would be worth trading Dahlin

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Matthews
Laine
MacK
Barkov
Karlsson (signed)
Barzal
Anyone of those young players in the tier below McDavid

Agree with this. I would even throw in Eichel as well. Lots of player a tier below Mcdavid.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Neither team makes that trade. McDavid is the Oilers. And Buffalo is going to be much happier having a franchise C and a franchise D than it would having 2 of one and none of the other.

Wrong 100%, they would trade for McDavid and then you could trade Eichel for a top tier #1 defenceman. You don't pass up McDavid especially when 30 other teams would want Eichel.

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

dragovici

Dec 24, 2013
in orbit
I have watched a lot of his SHL games this season and yes, he has great potential. His vision is what stands out for me, the way he sees openings on the ice. That is what makes him so good at moving the puck, combined with effortless skating.
However I don't see that "defends like Lidström" at all. Many times has he looked lost in front of his own net as well as down by the boards. Great gap control though, because of his vision and skating. Karlsson's defensive skills were not the best when got to the NHL but he kinda got that sorted out over the years. No reason to believe (personally) that Dahlin doesn't get there too.
I'm no pro scout, neither are you from watching youtube highlights, but saying that he's a McDavid level talent is out of this world. Hope I'm wrong, of course.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm not allowed to talk about the top prospect? Are only people who blow smoke up your ass allowed?

You're right, McDavid is not generational. In 15 years when we look back at his career we may conclude he is, he is certainly on track to be, but you know what? He's played NHL games and won awards.

Yep McDavid got a lot of hype but then he came out and backed it up.

You've got a lot to be excited about but let's see him play some games before anointing him among the best D to ever play the game huh?

Didn't know I had... interesting

Jan 21, 2018
Can someone fill me in on what makes Dahlin generational? Like McDavid was the best skater in the world at 16, probably the best skater of all time now, I get that, but what's Dahlin's thing that everyone's guaranteeing he's a generational prospect? I don't see what he does significantly better than a guy like Hedman.

He's overhyped on these boards. This will be a great thread to read back on this time next year. The list of players people are saying they would keep Dahlin over is ridiculous.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Dahlin fits their needs and is as close to generational as you can come. I truly think the only player they'd trade Dahlin 1 for 1 for would be McDavid, and obviously thats not happening.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
It's crazy the comparisons he gets from Lindstrom to Leetch to Hedman to Karlsson. Maybe he takes the best of all these guys and combines them into one elite package.

I am excited to watch the Sabres next year and this kid grow with Eichel. So much so I would not trade him for anyone.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
1) Edmonton isn't trading McDavid and even if they were offer the first OA they would want a big + . Eichel + 1st for McDavid + 10th oa . If I am Buffalo I decline that . They have their franchise C and now can Have a potential generational D . Oilers still need that true #1 D and a few wingers . As an Oiler fan and it pains me to say the Sabres may be better set up for long term success

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
WHAT IF...
I've been drinking, but what the **** if...
EDM needs help on the blueline. You can win the Art Ross two years in a row, that's great, but EDM had a second round exit followed by missing the playoffs...what good are those Art Ross Trophies doing for EDM or McDavid.
EDM needs help on the blueline.
EDM has Draisaitl locked up.

A 1 for 1 between EDM and BUF could actually make some sense...
BUF could trade one of Eichel or ROR since they'd immediately be deep as all hell at C and help their blueline.

Wait no. I didn't just type all of that. No, I didn't. I didn't.
No, you don't trade the #1OA pick, or the dude you pick in their draft year. No.
This is a great post

Reactions: phillyb

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I have no idea what he is going to turn out to be. But when Button, Ferraro, and McKenzie are comparing them to the likes of Potvin, Lidstrom, Karlsson, Hedman I take note. They know more than most on this board. As a "prospect" he is the best d prospect since Potvin according to Button. Who knows how that will translate to the NHL.

Lidstrom, Karlson, Herman are very different levels with nothing in common except they are Swedish.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Matthews
Laine
MacK
Barkov
Karlsson (signed)
Barzal

Otherwise agree but with Buffalo holding the pick I'd drop Karlsson, and Barzal anyways.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Here’s a question....

Would Columbus trade Jones for him?

Would Tampa trade Hedman for him?

Would leafs trade Gardiner for him?

The Leafs would drive him to the airport, fly with him, drop him off at the front door of the First Niagara Center and tuck Gardiner in to bed every night for the rest of his NHL life if Buffalo offered the Leafs Dahlin.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Matthews
Laine
MacK
Barkov
Karlsson (signed)
Barzal

No thanks. I’ll take my chances on him becoming a monster dman. Barkov, Karlsson and barzal are definite no’s.

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The Lidstrom comparisons people are throwing around are what I'm basing it on. He put up the close to the same points Karlsson did while being the best defensive defenseman in the league outside of maybe Pronger's peak seasons. And even then, not everyone agrees Lidstrom was a generational defenseman or top-5 all-time. I just don't see being a 70+ defenseman as enough to qualify as generational unless you bring elite elements elsewhere.

Who argues against lidstrom being a top 5 defender? Booo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad