The Star: Raptors, Leafs ticket prices to increase 2.5% next season

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2013/03/12/raptors_ticket_prices_to_increase_next_season.html

tom_anselmi.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Tom Anselmi, MLSE president and COO, says ticket prices for both the Raptors and the Leafs will go up by 2.5 per cent.

The cost of being a winter sports fan of Toronto teams is going up.

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment will hike ticket prices for the Raptors and Maple Leafs by about 2.5 per cent across the board starting for the 2013-14 seasons.

Calling it a “cost of living†increase, MLSE president and chief operating officer Tom Anselmi said the cost hike reflects increased costs to the monolithic sports organization.

“Our costs have gone up dramatically,†he said in a telephone interview. “Players salaries, operating costs, league costs . . . in the case of the Raptors, our pricing has gone backwards in the last few years.â€

Some season ticket holders received renewal invoices this week that reflected the increase.

“This is actually a little late for renewals to start,†he said. “We usually like to start our renewal process in February.â€

number72

Oct 9, 2011
That 2.5% increase will be used to
1. Subsidize struggling teams like the predators
2. Pay for the big raises for Phaneuf, Kessel and Lupul\

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Makes sense.

With the cap dropping next year it provides a great opportunity to make more. If people, and by people i mean corporations, are willing to spend these outrageous prices why shouldn't they?

The best way/only way to drop ticket prices is to make it so corporations can not deduct the cost of the games on their taxes.

Gberg

Oct 13, 2009
Aren't player salaries going down? NHL that is.

I know the Raptors acquired a lot of salary, so it makes sense for them. But the Leafs? Really?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
That the best you can do? make it 5%! come on.

Buffalo is a fun place to watch games, looking forward to it. Thanks for bringing Detroit into the division too. MLSE is making it wicked for travelers.

parker171*

I could understand raising the leaf ticket prices but the Raptors?!?!?! Cmon, that team is a joke, who would pay more to see them. smh

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Yeah, but salaries increased less than 1% last year and layoffs are permanent fixture on business network with unemployment rate 9% and effective unemployment rate counting those who are off EI is probably around 20%-25%. So corporations increase product prices, but pay employees less or lay them off. I like how suits hide the truth of it behind nice phrases like "cost of living" increase, operation costs, tough economy situation, cost cutting, achieving competitive cost structure, etc. :laugh:

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
I know you guys are gonna hate this, but my friend's dad, who works as a consulting engineer receives about 10 tickets a year (and these are good tickets, not cheap) from his clients. It's an easy way for corporations to put money in the pockets of their employees and contractors without getting slapped with taxable benefits. This 2.5% only affects the regular Joe :(.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
That 2.5% increase will be used to
1. Subsidize struggling teams like the predators
2. Pay for the big raises for Phaneuf, Kessel and Lupul\

They're certainly not struggling at all. Strong draws at the box office, and dedicated ownership. Out of teams like Florida, NewJersey and Pheonix you chose them?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
How about for every year that you don't make the playoffs, the tickets should be decreased 2.5%?

And really, the Raptors? What a joke. Might as well double the prices for TFC games while you're at it.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I haven't been to a leafs game in years and probably won't for a couple more years, just to damn expensive. Raptors price increase too, what a joke. Raptors are leaking fans like crazy due to the crap they put out on court and they are raising prices, wheres the logic in that?

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I could understand raising the leafs ticket prices but the Raptors?!?!?! Cmon, that team is a joke, who would pay more to see them. smh

Yes, but they sell some season licenses as combined Raptors+Leafs licenses and if you want to see Leafs you would need to pay up for Raptors as well (making it effective 5% increase for those folks).

I guess you pick and choose through schedule. I went to Heat and Raptors game. It was fun, but at 2x$150 is kind of expensive. Still, you cannot always get free entertainment and whole point is in spending entertainment budget. It's certainly not the worst way to spend it. ;)

Dwight K Schrute

Nov 30, 2009
Scranton
I know you guys are gonna hate this, but my friend's dad, who works as a consulting engineer receives about 10 tickets a year (and these are good tickets, not cheap) from his clients. It's an easy way for corporations to put money in the pockets of their employees and contractors without getting slapped with taxable benefits. This 2.5% only affects the regular Joe :(.

Ground breaking information... I was wondering why I don't see more jerseys at games.

Kyle Doobas*

....much to the delight of the Buffalo Sabres, Detroit Red Wings, Ottawa Senators and Greyhound Canada. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad