Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
How is getting rid of Rantanen going to solve that exactly?
Not having 13M tied up on one player is the main thing. His production is nice, yes. And no one can dispute that, but it's just too much cap space. And that production just doesn't make that much of a difference in the post season. Something needs to change.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Not having 13M tied up on one player is the main thing. His production is nice, yes. And no one can dispute that, but it's just too much cap space. And that production just doesn't make that much of a difference in the post season. Something needs to change.
Look, I'm here for the argument that the Avs have to move on from Rantanen because they can't afford to keep him.

But let's not pretend that the Avs will become a better team without him, unless they get extremely lucky. IN THEORY, you might be able to grab a good goalie and a depth player for that money, while hoping that Landy and Nuke return (in form) and then you extend Drouin. And hope that Ritchie and Kovalenko become contributors.

But that's a hell of a lot of ifs. The most likely scenario is that the Avs take a step back if they lose Rantanen.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Look, I'm here for the argument that the Avs have to move on from Rantanen because they can't afford to keep him.

But let's not pretend that the Avs will become a better team without him, unless they get extremely lucky. IN THEORY, you might be able to grab a good goalie and a depth player for that money, while hoping that Landy and Nuke return (in form) and then you extend Drouin. And hope that Ritchie and Kovalenko become contributors.

But that's a hell of a lot of ifs. The most likely scenario is that the Avs take a step back if they lose Rantanen.

It's a tough spot because they absolutely will not be a better team without him. They will miss his production. However, I don't see another way to facilitate change. That 13M will be an absolute anchor.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Oh you mean like Coyotes moving to Utah and Thrashers moving to Winnipeg?
Take that up a few notches. 4 teams moved from 93-97. Since that lockout, we've had only those two teams move (and technically only one is a move) and valuations have skyrocketed. The differences in the league before and after that cap are monumental on the business side. It isn't perfect today, but the NHL is on FAR better footing today than it ever has been.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Take that up a few notches. 4 teams moved from 93-97. Since that lockout, we've had only those two teams move (and technically only one is a move) and valuations have skyrocketed. The differences in the league before and after that cap are monumental on the business side. It isn't perfect today, but the NHL is on FAR better footing today than it ever has been.
I don't even understand what this has to do with
they don't want the Red Wings and Avs of yore in the NHL anymore.
Red Wings never moved to another city :huh:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I don't think too many people are arguing for abolishing the cap (maybe some fans in the bigger markets for sure). What people don't like is that there is zero flexibility. The NBA has a salary cap. The NFL has a salary cap. Yet the NHL is the only league that gives teams absolutely zero flexibility, and thus there is less player movement, less good teams, and less excitement (even though it's obviosly the most entertaining sport ;)).

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't even understand what this has to do with

Red Wings never moved to another city :huh:
The Avs and Red wings (Rangers and Toronto too) spent other teams into oblivion. That caused business issues throughout the league. It was an unsustainable model for the NHL and resulted in a year long lockout.

I don't think too many people are arguing for abolishing the cap (maybe some fans in the bigger markets for sure). What people don't like is that there is zero flexibility. The NBA has a salary cap. The NFL has a salary cap. Yet the NHL is the only league that gives teams absolutely zero flexibility, and thus there is less player movement, less good teams, and less excitement (even though it's obviosly the most entertaining sport ;)).
It’s just a different model and a big part of the inflexibility is due to the fully guaranteed contracts with heavily punitive buyouts if a team wants out from under them. Thats what the NHLPA required to get into a cap and it has resulted in a much more stagnant league. I wouldn’t mind more player movement and flexibility, but I don’t think you can argue with how healthy the league is in comparison to years past.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango

We can talk until our heads explode, but this is really the only sentence needed.

My only counter would involve the salary cap. I don't think anyone disputes that the cap has caused parity. But that also means that virtually any team can catch lightning in a bottle ( See: Blues, St. Louis) and win a cup. Except those teams filled with ELCs and Veteran Minimums - and that is what would have to happen to give Mikko $13M. Again, lots of ifs, but in 25-26:

Drouin - Mac - Lehky
Ritchie - Mitts - Nuke
Landy - Colton - LOC
Wood - xxx - Kovalenko

Toss in a decent goalie, and live with Malinski / Behrens on the third pair, and that team - IMHO - can catch lightning in a bottle and have a good shot at a cup for the next 3-4 years. Would that team be better with Mikko? Sure! But the cap prevents that bottom 6, much of the second pair, and a goalie who does not suck. To me, that is an apples to oranges comparison.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
We can joke about him being invisible or Bambi on ice, but Rantanen is widely considered a top 10 player in the NHL.

You can’t convince me that any combination of second line forward/second pairing defenseman and a goalie would make us a better team than having Mikko f***ing Rantanen.

Period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad