Ranking the Calgary Flames Prospects, #9 (Tiebreaker)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
1. Johnny Gaudreau (50.0%)
2. Sam Bennett (60.53%)
3. Sven Baertschi (90.47%)
4. Emile Poirier (52.73%)
5. Morgan Klimchuk (53.45%)
6. Markus Granlund (37.84%)
7. Jon Gillies (36.84%)
8. Mark Jankowski (43.66%)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I have to say I was wowed by Wotherspoon at the NHL level last season. I haven't really been wowed by Reinhart's physical tools, and I am still pretty doubtful about the kind of impact he can have in the NHL. He can stay up and not be a liability, sure, but I'm not sure he can be a guy who makes the team better.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Went with Wotherspoon cause hes been a stud since the world juniors he played in.

He sure has! :handclap:

I feel like he and Sieloff are really close in terms of quality of prospect, and I think Sieloff would be viewed the same way if not for his unfortunate injury last season.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
He sure has! :handclap:

I feel like he and Sieloff are really close in terms of quality of prospect, and I think Sieloff would be viewed the same way if not for his unfortunate injury last season.

I think so too, hopefully he can stay healthy this year. I could see him making the opening night roster if it weren't for his health issues this year.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I seem to remember Seiloff was being mentioned very highly by the Americans for the world juniors last year before his injury. Cannot wait to have guys like him and Poirier on the Flames.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I seem to remember Seiloff was being mentioned very highly by the Americans for the world juniors last year before his injury. Cannot wait to have guys like him and Poirier on the Flames.

That's because he was a returning player from the gold medal team. And the likely captain if he wasn't injured. Mckenzie said they missed his physical presence on the back end too.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Going into last season, many had Sieloff and Wotherspoon flip flopped, I expect that to return sooner than later once the rust is shaken off.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I voted Reinhart. But I'm just wondering if Wotherspoon and Seiloff are expected to be Defensive partners down the road? Do their talents lend themselve to make good d-partners? Just seems like their development has been neck and neck even though they haven't played with each other.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I voted Reinhart. But I'm just wondering if Wotherspoon and Seiloff are expected to be Defensive partners down the road? Do their talents lend themselve to make good d-partners? Just seems like their development has been neck and neck even though they haven't played with each other.

Yes, and same with Culak and Kulkin.

Yes I meant to do that..

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Neither of them is a bad puck mover, but I think each would be better suited to being paired with someone who excels a little more offensively.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Missed the last couple ones. Reinhart for sure. I know he's got his skeptics but under Gilles and Jankowski?

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Went with Reinhart. Not sure why people are going with Wotherspoon over Sieloff. Missing a year hurt him but Sieloff has a much higher ceiling in my mind.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Went with Reinhart. Not sure why people are going with Wotherspoon over Sieloff. Missing a year hurt him but Sieloff has a much higher ceiling in my mind.
I'm not sure I agree. Watching both playing on the same team in similar roles, I would disagree. I would say their upside is quite similar, which is a 3-4 defenseman, they would just hold down different roles. Sieloff will be a hard hitting stay at home type, I'd say somewhere between Rhett Warrener and Robyn Regehr. Wotherspoon won't be as physical but has better puck skills, I'd say somewhat similar to Jordan Leopold or Toni Lydman.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm not sure I agree. Watching both playing on the same team in similar roles, I would disagree. I would say their upside is quite similar, which is a 3-4 defenseman, they would just hold down different roles. Sieloff will be a hard hitting stay at home type, I'd say somewhere between Rhett Warrener and Robyn Regehr. Wotherspoon won't be as physical but has better puck skills, I'd say somewhat similar to Jordan Leopold or Toni Lydman.

Completely agree with your assessment. Good comparables too.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

I mean, I kind of hope Seiloff becomes more than just a morning radio guy next to Boomer too... :sarcasm:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
David Wolf should be added. He is only 24 and has yet to play an NHL game. So I do believe he qualifies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad