Ranking the Calgary Flames Prospects, #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really think people will be shocked when they realize that Reinhart was the catalyst for the success he and Granlund had this year. Heck he was the catalyst for the success many Heat players had all year. Everyone that played with him put up good point totals.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I really think people will be shocked when they realize that Reinhart was the catalyst for the success he and Granlund had this year. Heck he was the catalyst for the success many Heat players had all year. Everyone that played with him put up good point totals.

Yeah was gonna say, I don't see why everyone has Granlund over Reinhart.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honestly, they shouldn't. Reinhart was the driving force, I think if Granlund was with any other centre he probably wouldn't have cracked 15 goals.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Surprised to see the love so lopsided to Granlund over Reinhart, you'd think it'd at least be a little closer between 'em; I personally feel Reinhart is the better prospect, with a more well-rounded game.. Anyhow, I went with Gillies, as I consider him to be our goalie of the future..

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Granny came up to the NHL this year and played incredibly well. I can absolutely see why people are giving him props. Reino had nothing to do with his NHL tenure.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Granny came up to the NHL this year and played incredibly well. I can absolutely see why people are giving him props. Reino had nothing to do with his NHL tenure.
7 NHL games. It's not like he had this long 1/2 year run. Lots of players have good 7 games runs.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I love how improving in every facet of the game, being a bracket all-star all while playing Canadian prep school is "accomplishing nothing". Being a bracket all-star in the NCAA tournament is nothing to sneeze at, especially for a sophompre playing his first year at centre and still being one of the youngest players in the NCAA

I'm glad he's improving, and he certainly does still have potential. But does that really indicate a better prospect than the 20 year old who scored at almost a point-per-game in his rookie AHL season, or the guy who's been a top goalie in the NCAA since his rookie season there?

Even if we agree that Jankowski has the highest potential of the remaining skaters, he's the biggest question mark as to whether or not he reaches it as well.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm glad he's improving, and he certainly does still have potential. But does that really indicate a better prospect than the 20 year old who scored at almost a point-per-game in his rookie AHL season, or the guy who's been a top goalie in the NCAA since his rookie season there?

Even if we agree that Jankowski has the highest potential of the remaining skaters, he's the biggest question mark as to whether or not he reaches it as well.

Again, for me if I go with the "gun to my head" mentality of what prospect would I keep between Janko, Reinhart and Granlund, I'm going with Janko because of his toolbox and upside. And, he hasn't taken steps back, he has been trending upwards.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I guess I just don't like what I've seen from Janko so far. I didn't like the pick much at the time and he has done little to sway me from that since. Reinhart and Granlund are about neck and neck IMO. I give Granlund the edge because of his upside though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

With Jankowski improving his defensive game so much, being strong on faceoffs and still being offensively gifted his "bust factor" is not nearly as great as you claim. Jankowski may be further away, but his bust factor is getting smaller and smaller as his game grows.

Quite frankly I would say Jankowski has a lower bust factor than Granlund. Granlund is the definition of a top 6 or bust player if you ask me and I am not sold on him being a top 6 player in the NHL. Jankowski used to have the same bust factor, but with him putting on weight, improving every facet of his game his bust factor is shrinking all the time.

As for Gillies, I do believe he can easily be mentioned in the same levek as Janko, Klimchuk and Poirier.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I guess I just don't like what I've seen from Janko so far. I didn't like the pick much at the time and he has done little to sway me from that since. Reinhart and Granlund are about neck and neck IMO. I give Granlund the edge because of his upside though.
Curious, have you actually seen anything but statistics and youtube clips from Janko?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think Wotherspoon deserves more credit... The kid played lights out with Smid and put up 4 points in 14 games with the Flames. He would have played more, but he got injured. I am going with Wotherspoon, but Granlund was my next choice.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I think Wotherspoon deserves more credit... The kid played lights out with Smid and put up 4 points in 14 games with the Flames. He would have played more, but he got injured. I am going with Wotherspoon, but Granlund was my next choice.

I have it very close but to me it's

6: Jon Gillies, best goalie every year in the NCAA. He a 6'5 monster with great mobility and great angles. He's our best goalie prospect.

7: Tyler Wotherspoon: It's astonishing how people are saying Markus Granlund played great in the NHL. FOR 7 GAMES. Tyler Wotherspoon was much better and played like a veteran top 4 defenceman. He's our best D prospect. He played better and played double his games.

8: Mark Jankowski: He's progressed as expected to me. I think he's the forgotton man in our system. His passing is outstanding. Great Ice Q. Great complete game.

9: Max Reinhart: He don't get no respect. Like AF said he made everyone better. He tripled hos points this year and when he goes up he looks very good as well. He plays a complete game as well.

Then GranMa

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I have it very close but to me it's

6: Jon Gillies, best goalie every year in the NCAA. He a 6'5 monster with great mobility and great angles. He's our best goalie prospect.

7: Tyler Wotherspoon: It's astonishing how people are saying Markus Granlund played great in the NHL. FOR 7 GAMES. Tyler Wotherspoon was much better and played like a veteran top 4 defenceman. He's our best D prospect. He played better and played double his games.

8: Mark Jankowski: He's progressed as expected to me. I think he's the forgotton man in our system. His passing is outstanding. Great Ice Q. Great complete game.

9: Max Reinhart: He don't get no respect. Like AF said he made everyone better. He tripled hos points this year and when he goes up he looks very good as well. He plays a complete game as well.

Then GranMa

Darn right it's close; these are probably my next 5 as well, though I'd have them ranked as follows:

6. Gillies
7. Reinhart
8. Jankowski
9. Granlund
10. Wotherspoon

robbie111

Nov 10, 2013
Granlund as he looked really good with Ferland and then later on with Reinhart. Still think Granlund has one of the best releases I've seen in years.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
My 6-10 rankings prior to Granlund taking this one:

6. Wotherspoon
7. Reinhart
8. Granlund
9. Ortio
10. Gillies

Next 5:
11. Agostino
12. Arnold
13. Jankowski
14. Sieloff
15. Knight

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
My 6-10 rankings prior to Granlund taking this one:

6. Wotherspoon
7. Reinhart
8. Granlund
9. Ortio
10. Gillies

Next 5:
11. Agostino
12. Arnold
13. Jankowski
14. Sieloff
15. Knight

Yeah, I got Agostino and Arnold up pretty high on my list too.. just after Ortio (#11) and Knight (#12)..

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Really, with Tspoon, Janko, Maximus, and Granlund, it's quite easy to make a case for either one. They are all above average prospects and similar in caliber. I still go with Janko though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad