Rank these players at their peak that you'd want in a 7 game playoff series

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Datsyuk

Bergeron
Hossa/Kariya

I think Kariya could’ve been better than he had the opportunity to show due to injuries and the teams he played on though. Easy to imagine a scenario where I would take him ahead of the others except Datsyuk.

Reactions: Zuluss

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I’m pretty sure Kariya would have performed the best, had he been on stacked teams like Detroit, Chicago, and to lesser extents, Pittsburgh and Boston.

I noticed your comments in the other thread and while I’m not into what if games, that’s the difference between Kariya and the other players.

Well, that and being a better player, who had what, at least six known concussions?

Reactions: norrisnick

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Weird players for playoffs.

I feel both Datsyuk and Bergeron are overrated for playoffs. They did decent enough overall - but some people believe they are great or unstoppable, and that's just not the case. Datsyuk's playoffs are ~so-so all things considered.

Problem is - Hossa is the worst of the 4 players (even though pretty strong for playoffs) - and I think Kariya is possibly the best, but he has such a small playoff track record so it's hard to judge. I think I'd go:

Datsyuk
Kariya
Hossa
Bergeron

But - they're all relatively close, and I could see it go anyway from 1 to 4.

If this is based on that other thread that also involved Lafleur and Kopitar - Lafleur would be #1 by a huge margin, and I'd actually pick Kopitar #2. Better/more consistent playoff track record for him than these 4 players listed here.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Guy Lafleur
Bergeron
Kariya
Datsyuk
Hossa
Kopitar

Nooo! :scared:

Weird players for playoffs.

I feel both Datsyuk and Bergeron are overrated for playoffs. They did decent enough overall - but some people believe they are great or unstoppable, and that's just not the case. Datsyuk's playoffs are ~so-so all things considered.

Problem is - Hossa is the worst of the 4 players (even though pretty strong for playoffs) - and I think Kariya is possibly the best, but he has such a small playoff track record so it's hard to judge. I think I'd go:

Datsyuk
Kariya
Hossa
Bergeron

But - they're all relatively close, and I could see it go anyway from 1 to 4.

If this is based on that other thread that also involved Lafleur and Kopitar - Lafleur would be #1 by a huge margin, and I'd actually pick Kopitar #2. Better/more consistent playoff track record for him than these 4 players listed here.

Yeah I would have Kopitar easily after Datsyuk but both behind Lafleur.

Reactions: Coffees

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'd probably take them in this order:

1) Kariya
2) Bergeron
3) Datsyuk
4) Hossa

Could you help explain the rationale behind Bergeron over Datsyuk? Kariya I can kinda understand but Bergeron is just a worse version of the same player.

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Kariya is made for this soft ass era he'd probably be the best player today or at the very least right up there with McDavid and Bedard so him even (slightly) above the great Pavel Datsyuk

No disrespect to the other guys absolute great players but they can't hang with Kariya and Datsyuk

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yeah I would have Kopitar easily after Datsyuk but both behind Lafleur.

For ability I'm fine putting Kopitar behind Datsyuk. At their best - I'd say Datsyuk is better. But for actual resume - Kopitar was more consistent in the playoffs.

Datsyuk's playoff resume is simply not that great tbh. He was nothing special in the 2002 cup win - just a rookie it's true, but he was also already 23 years old.

He was outstaged by Zetterbeg in 2008. He didn't do too well in 2009 - I know he had some injury troubles, but 9 points in 16 games is just not good - he was 10th in team scoring.

113 playoff points in 157 games - that's not even a 60 points pace per 82 games.
For what it's worth - Bergeon actually provided more offense in playoffs than Datsyuk. 62 point pace per 82 games.

Could you help explain the rationale behind Bergeron over Datsyuk? Kariya I can kinda understand but Bergeron is just a worse version of the same player.
Bergeron is better defensively than Datsyuk.

Bergeron in his playoff career averages 62 points per 82 games. Datsyuk is at 59 points per 82 games - which means Bergeron also outmatched him offensively.

There's the rationale.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
For ability I'm fine putting Kopitar behind Datsyuk. At their best - I'd say Datsyuk is better. But for actual resume - Kopitar was more consistent in the playoffs.

Datsyuk's playoff resume is simply not that great tbh. He was nothing special in the 2002 cup win - just a rookie it's true, but he was also already 23 years old.

He was outstaged by Zetterbeg in 2008. He didn't do too well in 2009 - I know he had some injury troubles, but 9 points in 16 games is just not good - he was 10th in team scoring.

113 playoff points in 157 games - that's not even a 60 points pace per 82 games.
For what it's worth - Bergeon actually provided more offense in playoffs than Datsyuk. 62 point pace per 82 games.

Bergeron is better defensively than Datsyuk.

Bergeron in his playoff career averages 62 points per 82 games. Datsyuk is at 59 points per 82 games - which means Bergeron also outmatched him offensively.

There's the rationale.

This question asks about players at their peaks so I don’t get the rationale of taking their entire playoff careers into account here. Infact it quite literally makes no sense.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
This question asks about players at their peaks so I don’t get the rationale of taking their entire playoff careers into account here. Infact it quite literally makes no sense.

Their peak playoff scoring levels aren't exactly far apart either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad