Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
is it safe to say 1 day we could have
Rielly Percy
Gardiner Finn
Grandberg Macwiliam

Why is it safe to say?

Because you can name prospects within the organization?

JUst because you can name them, doesn't mean they can make it.

Long road ahead for most of them.

selltrade

Sep 20, 2005
Toronto
www.selltradememorabilia.com
Why is it safe to say?

Because you can name prospects within the organization?

JUst because you can name them, doesn't mean they can make it.

Long road ahead for most of them.
Because they have talent. 2 of the 6 have made it. I believe the other 4 will make the NHL, will they all be on the Leafs? it would be nice. And I realize you have to factor in other things, Phaneuf, Franson and Gunnar are still in there 20s. Its actually nice to have some young depth in d area.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Rank these 3 players and do you think any will bust or all 3 will be good, explain.

Finn
Percy
Granberg

They are all Leaf prospects that are destined to failure, unless, unless they are traded, that is! ;)

They'd all become top 4 D, if they were in the Detroit organization. :naughty:

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Nilsson is going to be better than all of those guys. Each of those defenseman listed has one-dimension to their game.

Granberg isn't that good. Finn is going to continue to struggle with injuries and no way Percy makes this lineup with Rielly and Gardiner in the way.

So why Nilsson? Simply because he has the best overall skillset. Smarter, more mobile, excels at the PK. He needs to develop his offense a little more, but he got no PP time this year in Sweden.

Still overall, I think he has the best potential of these 4 defenseman to make the group, simply because he's going to prove to be a reliable player.

It's much easier for defensive-minded, smart mobile defenseman to make the NHL jump and stick, than all offense guys, or big guys who can't skate.

That's another reason why Nilsson is going to be the guy.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We'll see how Finn translates to the pro level.

Right now Percy is ahead of him in his development. Granberg will probably end up more as a #5 type defender, spotting in the top 4 but likely used as a PKer and defensive assignments primarly.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Because they have talent. 2 of the 6 have made it. I believe the other 4 will make the NHL, will they all be on the Leafs? it would be nice. And I realize you have to factor in other things, Phaneuf, Franson and Gunnar are still in there 20s. Its actually nice to have some young depth in d area.

Define "made it"

Rielly has had 1 full NHL season under his belt, and while it's pretty certain he's going to go on and have a good career, see: Luke Schenn, for examples of what happens when you get too carried away about kids who have one good season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Nilsson is going to be better than all of those guys. Each of thost defenseman listed has one-dimension to their game.

Granberg isn't that good. Finn is going to continue to struggle with injuries and no way Percy makes this lineup with Rielly and Gardiner in the way.

So why Nilsson? Simply because he has the best overall skillset. Smarter, more mobile, excels at the PK. He needs to develop his offense a little more, but he got no PP time this year in Sweden.

Nilsson is much more defensive oriented and his offensive upside is very questionable compared to Finn and even Percy.

Nilsson to me should end being a better player then Granberg but he's certainly a lot more one dimensional then Finn. Nilsson barely has any offensive potential.

Percy on the other hand is a better defender then he is an offensive defender. His best attribute is being a smart defender that doesn't make many mistakes, with the upside of having a bit offensive potential to his game. He's a lot more defensive then offensive but credit to Spott, Percy has been used on the PP effectively.

For the record, Finn has played 66 of 68 games in the regular season and has not missed a playoff game. I don't see where these injury concerns come from.

A whole lot of wrong with your post.

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
It's:
Percy
Granberg

Finn

Until Finn jumps to Pro he is behind by a little bit. Percy is a former 1st rounder who is having ups and downs in his first full campaign, Granberg looks sturdy, Finn looks solid in the O and hopefully will make a good jump. Time will tell.

In 2 years I see it being:

Finn

Percy
Granberg

With all three playing in the NHL at some capacity.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Nilsson is going to be better than all of those guys. Each of thost defenseman listed has one-dimension to their game.

The only thing more ridiculous than shamelessly building up your prospects to a super-hyped state, is shamelessly cutting your prospects down unnecessarily and unfairly & writing them off way too early.

I'd expect fans of this team, with the track record we have with moving youth WAY too early, to be willing to be extremely patient with pretty much any and all kids in the system. "Over-seasoned" type of patient.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
The only thing more ridiculous than shamelessly building up your prospects to a super-hyped state, is shamelessly cutting your prospects down unnecessarily and unfairly & writing them off way too early.

I'd expect fans of this team, with the track record we have with moving youth WAY too early, to be willing to be extremely patient with pretty much any and all kids in the system. "Over-seasoned" type of patient.

Nilsson is smart, mobile, moves the puck well, defends well against it. Shoots R. Another huge feather in his cap, in a lineup full of defenders and prospects who shoot from the L side.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
No love for Nilsson?

Man our swedish D are so underrated. I wouldn't be surprised if Granberg, Nilsson, & Loov all push for NHL spots in the next 1-2 seasons.

Of our swedes:

1. Gunnarsson - proven #3, who can hold his own in the #2 spot.

2. Nilsson - he will need a year in the AHL to get used to the smaller ice, but it will work in his favour with his playing style. He won't put up many points but should have a long NHL career ahead of him as a steady hard hitting bottom pairing defender who won't lose many puck battles in the corner. He can also penalty kill and is fearless.

3. Granberg - Gunnarsson with less offensive instincts but definitely a more physical game. I think he could comfortably play as a #6-7 right now but has the potential to be a #4 if he can either continue to improve his defensive game (realistic) or add some offense to his game (unlikely though).

4. Loov - He is the dark-horse, he is a very smart player with a great attitude who rarely gets caught out of position. He uses his defensive instincts to make sure his skating doesn't hinder his game but could improve his skating and his weak shot. Its important to note he grew 6 inches in the last 2.5 years so he has had a lot of growing pains to go through. He also made the ISS top 250 rankings at 5'9" <160 lbs. Which says a lot about his hockey IQ. Could ultimately be a #3 defender or may never
make it to the NHL.

As for the OP:

1. Finn - Has the skill & smarts to be a #2 defender. However, he is no where close at this time. He has no holes in his game, but needs to improve on everything to reach his full potential. He has gotten bigger, stronger, improved his skating, and put injury concerns behind him, so it looks like he is on the right track. We are talking about a player who is still 2-3 years away from a full time spot in the NHL though. I think he ends up being a #3-4 defender, but he has the potential to be more.

2. Percy - A smart defender who could be a good #3 or a great #4 in the NHL. I wouldn't expect anything more than Gunnarsson numbers offensively though. He needs to add some weight to cut it in the NHL, but not too much. It does concern me that he has only put on 6 lbs. since he was drafted and has even lost weight since his final season in Juniors.

3. Granberg - Same as above.

I think we will have some great competition on the Marlies in the coming years for top spots and get a chance to see who shines and who flops.

EDIT: I do not think any of them will earn full time spots next season with the Leafs. I think Granberg will make it as our #7D though.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
I'm really looking forward to the Marlies D next season:

Percy - Holzer/MacWilliam/Granberg
Loov - Nilsson
Finn - Knodel

I don't know if Loov will come over just yet but that spot is his if he does.

One of Granberg/Holzer/MacWilliam gets a promotion.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
The problem is, is that there are not any top 2 dmen on the team or potentially in the system either. Aside from possibly Rielly, the current roster sports some #3 and lower, and of all the D on the big club, there is virtually zero physical intimidation (aside from some by Gleason). There is no "fear striking" dmen, and that is a BIG problem. Maybe MacWilliam??? Teams take advantage of this so easily this year. If most of these projections come true - the Leafs still sadly lack a hard nosed defender.

At the start of the year, we heard Granberg was pretty much NHL ready - why wasn't afforded an opportunity to at least play a few games???? He can't be any worse than what's there now.

I see it playing out in this order: Granberg, Percy, Finn (again....notice the lack of grit?)

Leafsrule14*

The problem is, is that there are not any top 2 dmen on the team or potentially in the system either. Aside from possibly Rielly, the current roster sports some #3 and lower, and of all the D on the big club, there is virtually zero physical intimidation (aside from some by Gleason). There is no "fear striking" dmen, and that is a BIG problem. Maybe MacWilliam??? Teams take advantage of this so easily this year. If most of these projections come true - the Leafs still sadly lack a hard nosed defender.

At the start of the year, we heard Granberg was pretty much NHL ready - why wasn't afforded an opportunity to at least play a few games???? He can't be any worse than what's there now.

I see it playing out in this order: Granberg, Percy, Finn (again....notice the lack of grit?)

Your complaining over the stupidest thing. We don't have enough grit. Rielly, Phaneuf, Granberg, MacWilliams are all physical. Phaneuf is with us currently but he's with us for another 7 years and will most likely play with these young guys.

When I say Rielly is physical I don't mean he's going to lay you out but he doesn't shy from contact and gets engaged on the boards.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Your complaining over the stupidest thing. We don't have enough grit. Rielly, Phaneuf, Granberg, MacWilliams are all physical. Phaneuf is with us currently but he's with us for another 7 years and will most likely play with these young guys.

When I say Rielly is physical I don't mean he's going to lay you out but he doesn't shy from contact and gets engaged on the boards.

Yes, it's true - we DON'T have enough grit. The Leafs are not a hard team to play against. Plus, the team has no defensive game plan/strategy at all. Now this is digressing from the point of this thread, but let's look up front too. Where is there any physical presence on a regular basis? Last year the Leafs were hard to play against - guys bought into the system - they hit (fwds & d) in both ends of the ice. Teams knew coming to Toronto it would be a tough battle. This year - they give up (until the last couple games at least) way too many scoring chances (heck - look at the SOG each game). PK is terrible to top it off.

nussell

Nov 29, 2013
Ontario
Finn is probably most likely to bust out of the 3, granberg would become a keith aulie at worst. Percy is someone I really like, good all around D-man with good IQ doubt he busts.

My ranking for now:
Percy
Granberg
Finn

Although granberg gets an edge for me because he's physically mature enough to play in the NHL ASAP

Granberg by far is the best Dman out of the 3 then Andrew MacWilliam i say that not to take away from the other 2 guys. But Granberg, MacWilliam they are what the leafs need more and are more NHL ready. Really like all 4 guys

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Nilsson is much more defensive oriented and his offensive upside is very questionable compared to Finn and even Percy.

How many guys stick in the NHL as defenseman because they only are offensive minded? Not that much. Coaches prefer to have guys they don't have to hone defensive skills with.

Nilsson to me should end being a better player then Granberg but he's certainly a lot more one dimensional then Finn. Nilsson barely has any offensive potential.

And you know this how? Oh, because you read some stats online. Good point!

Percy on the other hand is a better defender then he is an offensive defender. His best attribute is being a smart defender that doesn't make many mistakes, with the upside of having a bit offensive potential to his game. He's a lot more defensive then offensive but credit to Spott, Percy has been used on the PP effectively.

You just answered your own question. Percy plays on smaller ice, so that makes his coverage and offensive game much more simple as compared to Nilsson who has to cover a much larger surface. All things being equal, I don't doubt that Nilsson will thrive on NA ice.

For the record, Finn has played 66 of 68 games in the regular season and has not missed a playoff game. I don't see where these injury concerns come from.

-Missed 20 games in Guelph.

-He missed the 2013 WJC's due to injury which is notable.

Your response is very short-sided, and definitely seems worded in explaining: "this year only."

A whole lot of wrong with your post.

Touche.

Nilsson spent his entire time this past season as a 3-4 defenseman on a very strong SEL team that finished third. In his first year in that league. Which is actually quite a jump for a guy who just spent his entire time last year in a U20 league on an entirely different team.

He also spent all of his special teams time on the PK. No PP minutes. Can't say the same of Percy, and probably not Finn.

All things considered this was a transition year for Nilsson, but he's still recognized for having the most well-rounded skillset.

The problem with your post, is that it's a typical naive Hockey Future's style view. You know the name, you know the draft positions involved. You think you know potential and ceilings. But you don't really know anything about prospects who aren't in North America.

mikebel111*

Finn no doubt
But percy and granberg are more ready

If someone says finn has questionable D game, than do some research please. On an amazing storm team, he takes on the teams top players. They have a great d core yet he handles the top guys.
Plays on 2nd PP because of the depth on D otherwise normally on 1st PP.
Where are these injury concerns? He missed half the season last season and aside from that, has been healthy his junior career. Has been healthy this season and had a great season. Should win D man of the year as well
#Beauty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad