Rank the top 20 Leaf defensemen in the Post Pat Quinn era.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
There isn't really much to add here. Its been a shitshow. The list though....
  1. Kaberle
  2. Rielly
  3. Muzzin
  4. Phaneuf
  5. B.McCabe
  6. J.McCabe
  7. Gardiner (he was good could drive play)
  8. Brodie (when he was good)
  9. Franson (offensie output was decent)
  10. Liljegren (yea... sue me I think he is pretty good)
  11. Kubina
  12. Gunnarsson
  13. Hainsey (he was very stable!)
  14. Gio (for a couple seasons)
  15. Schenn
  16. Komisarek
  17. Beauchemin
  18. Ian White
  19. Benoit/Stralman* (what could have been...)
  20. Polak (b/c I liked the Polak Smash more than the icings LMAO :laugh:)

Hon mentions: Sandin*, Dermott (i think we ruined his development), Lebda (who can forget that legend), Robidas (b/c of the island he created), Bogo (I think he was decent that 1 yr)

Note: not including tanev and oel as they haven't yet played for the Leafs
pretty accurate PromisedLand, I might throw Kubina up around the McCabe’s. Pretty telling that guys like Gardiner, Franson, White all had potential and even were leading the team D offensively at times, yet sort of flamed out due to injuries or whatever after they left. So much promise never realized.

I remember when Kaberle started his first season. Nobody knew who he was yet he sort of took the bull by the horns and cemented himself into the lineup. It would be refreshing to have some young guys do that again.

Most of us thought Komisarek and Beauchemin would end up being up high on this list. On paper they were great adds. What the hell happened?

That experience taught me never to get too excited about a player until I see them play in this situation

Reactions: PromisedLand

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Twenty is a big number for a team with so much mediocrity in that timeframe.

Kaberle
Rielly
B. McCabe
Yushkevich
Phaneuf
Muzzin
Tanev
Gardiner
Ellett
Schenn
J. McCabe
Brodie
Kubina
Hainsey
Macoun
Markov
Mironov
Gill
OEL
Rouse
Dave Ellett was way better than Jake Gardiner lol. Same with Macoun. I would drop Gardiner to the bottom of the list.

Reactions: ACC1224

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Is it me or are these lists including a lot of players from earlier then the "Pat Quinn" era? Post Pat Quinn list is a fair bit worse then most of these. Ellet, Macoun, Mirinov.. great D, yes, but a generation or two of Leaf teams before Quinn.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is it me or are these lists including a lot of players from earlier then the "Pat Quinn" era? Post Pat Quinn list is a fair bit worse then most of these. Ellet, Macoun, Mirinov.. great D, yes, but a generation or two of Leaf teams before Quinn.
IMO, the modern era should be split pre-cap and post cap.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Throwing out some names that might be in consideration are Carl Gunnarson, John Michael Liles, Cody Franson and Ian White.

• Haha
Reactions: Larcos_Unal

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
where oh where is the Karel Pilar love ?????
I know, he played for Q, not after but he was one of my faves ...

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I'm gonna try. Top of my head I have a hard time getting to ten lol.. I'll start with five and work on this going ahead. Going to qualify with saying prime Brian McCabe was IMO the best Leaf D of the last 30 years, him or Yushy anyways, but by the time we are talking post-Quinn he played one year and was past his prime.

1) Kaberle. He was around long enough post Quinn to qualify for the OP's parameters. Kaberle was better then Reilly.

2) Reilly. Only question here is if you rank him above Kaberle. I don't, he's #2

3) Kubina. Had a tough time sorting out 3-5, but putting Kubina 3. Pretty well-rounded D in his time here, great blend of D and O from him.

4) Double D Captain Phaneuf. Took a lot of flack, lots justified in a salary cap structure. But. He was good. Like Kubina, a blend of O and D that was good. Fun to watch in between the occasional terrifying D decisions.

5) Muzzin. The best classic D-man we had since Yushkevich. He's coming in #5 for not having the O the first 4 did, what a shame for the injuries that we didn't get more of him. A great D-man.

Alright, there's 1-5 IMO, discuss. Names like Stralman, McCabe, Gardiner, Schenn are on the radar next so far, we'll see, it's an ugly list. God help me getting to 20, but I will. If I get to Ian White on this list I may off myself rather then post it.

Last edited:
Reactions: conFABulator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad