Van: Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Tryamkin, Larsen, Pedan

Ana: Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen, Theodore, Bieksa, Stoner, Manson
Az : OEL, Goligoski, Stone, Michalek, Schenn, Murphy, Connauton, Dahlbeck
Cgy : Giordano, Brodie, Hamilton, Wideman, Smid, Englland, Jokipakka
Edm : Larsson, Sekera, Klefbom, Fayne, Davidson, Nurse, Oesterle, Ference
LA: Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, McNabb, Gilbert, Trotman, Scuderi
SJ : Burns, Vlasic, Martin, Braun, Schlemko, Dillon, Mueller, DeMelo

Rank the D Overall :

Which team is the (or rank if you got the time)....
Best top 3 :
Best depth :
Most offensive :
Most mobile :
Most physical :

Have fun...

Last edited:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Did Paul Martin die?

Either way, you guys have by far the most physical d-corps. I'm not a fan of Larsen or Sbisa, but your guys' depth is good beyond that. What happened to Biega?

I'll say:

Best top 3: San Jose or Calgary, I'm leaning Calgary
Best depth: San Jose
Most offensive: Calgary
Most mobile: not sure...maybe San Jose, maybe Anaheim
Most physical: Vancouver

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Best top 3 :

1) LA
2) San Jose
3) Calgary
4) Arizona
5) Anaheim
6) Vancouver
7) Edmonton

Most depth :

1) Anaheim
2) San Jose
3) Arizona
4) LA
5) Edmonton
6) Vancouver
7) Calgary

Most offensive :

1) Calgary
2) Anaheim
3) Arizona
4) San Jose
5) Los Angeles
---huge gap---
6) Vancouver
7) Edmonton

Most mobile :

1) Anaheim
2) Arizona
3) Los Angeles
4) Calgary
5) San Jose
6) Edmonton
7) Vancouver

Most physical? It's pretty irrelevant and they're almost all exactly the same.

Also the OP is missing Paul Martin for San Jose, a pretty important player.

There are 5 really good defensive groups in this division, then a MASSIVE gap to us and Edmonton.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Best top 3: Calgary, but LA and SJ are really close.
Best depth: San Jose. Anaheim close second.
Most offensive: Calgary. Possibly Anaheim if Montour makes it.
Most mobile: Anaheim
Most physical: Vancouver, I guess?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Best top 3 :

1) LA
2) San Jose
3) Calgary
4) Arizona
5) Anaheim
6) Vancouver
7) Edmonton

Most depth :

1) Anaheim
2) San Jose
3) Arizona
4) LA
5) Edmonton
6) Vancouver
7) Calgary

Most offensive :

1) Calgary
2) Anaheim
3) Arizona
4) San Jose
5) Los Angeles
---huge gap---
6) Vancouver
7) Edmonton

Most mobile :

1) Anaheim
2) Arizona
3) Los Angeles
4) Calgary
5) San Jose
6) Edmonton
7) Vancouver

Most physical? It's pretty irrelevant and they're almost all exactly the same.

Also the OP is missing Paul Martin for San Jose, a pretty important player.

There are 5 really good defensive groups in this division, then a MASSIVE gap to us and Edmonton.

I agree with almost all of this, except I don't think our depth is better than Calgary's.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yeah that's...

Okay I'm depressed now. Basically everyone behind Edler/Tanev need to get a lot better than they were for us last season to not be totally overmatched. Hutton and Tryamkin I can honestly say that I think they'll improve. The rest...still haven't given up on Pedan. No logical reason for it, I just still like Pedan.

Wow our d sucks.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Yeah that's...

Okay I'm depressed now. Basically everyone behind Edler/Tanev need to get a lot better than they were for us last season to not be totally overmatched. Hutton and Tryamkin I can honestly say that I think they'll improve. The rest...still haven't given up on Pedan. No logical reason for it, I just still like Pedan.

Wow our d sucks.

Really? They haven't played a game yet

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Man. Our D is awful. How wouldn't you re-sign hamhuis when your blueline looks this bad?

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Best top 3: Calgary

Best Depth: Anaheim

Most Offensive: Calgary

Most Mobile: Anaheim

Most Physical: Toss up.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Physical rankings would be hard to determine because multiple teams can play that physical rugged style.
The only thing I can say with confidence is that the Canucks defense is probably the largest (tallest).
Edler 6'4
Tanev 6'2
Gudbranson 6'5
Hutton 6'3
Sbisa 6'2
Tryamkin 6'7.5
Larsen 6'0
Pedan 6'5
Biega 5'10

Last edited:

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Did Paul Martin die?

Either way, you guys have by far the most physical d-corps. I'm not a fan of Larsen or Sbisa, but your guys' depth is good beyond that. What happened to Biega?

I'll say:

Best top 3: San Jose or Calgary, I'm leaning Calgary
Best depth: San Jose
Most offensive: Calgary
Most mobile: not sure...maybe San Jose, maybe Anaheim
Most physical: Vancouver

a lot of us think that Biega won't make the starting 8 so he gets overlooked... but he should be counted as depth though

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
With goal scoring being the key issue I'm not that concerned about our D. Even now they are among the youngest in the group, right there with the Oilers, and will be alone in a year when OJ makes the jump.

It's an area that's tough to gauge separately. E.g., I like the Flames in a few categories but what has that gotten them? Significant improvement/drop off by any top 4 impacts the whole quite a bit.

Nucks have, or will soon have, good mobility, size, physicality and balance between puck movers and stay-at-home types. But will take a while given their age. Duncan Keith didn't make the show until 21 or hit 40 points until 25.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
With goal scoring being the key issue I'm not that concerned about our D. Even now they are among the youngest in the group, right there with the Oilers, and will be alone in a year when OJ makes the jump.

It's an area that's tough to gauge separately. E.g., I like the Flames in a few categories but what has that gotten them? Significant improvement/drop off by any top 4 impacts the whole quite a bit.

Nucks have, or will soon have, good mobility, size, physicality and balance between puck movers and stay-at-home types. But will take a while given their age. Duncan Keith didn't make the show until 21 or hit 40 points until 25.

The defense and goaltending are bright spots on this team.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
When you're an injury away from having Sbisa in your top 4 then it's not a bright spot.

Looks like the above teams are an injury away from having Schenn, Dillon, Gilbert, Bieksa, Smid, Fayne in their top 4...

I would take Sbisa over all... except maybe Gilbert if he's still good on the PP. Maybe Dillon if he can get back to how he looked like he was progressing 2 yrs ago.. (Sharks fan don't like him at all, so maybe I'll stick with the devil i know).

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Looks like the above teams are an injury away from having Schenn, Dillon, Gilbert, Bieksa, Smid, Fayne in their top 4...

I would take Sbisa over all... except maybe Gilbert if he's still good on the PP. Maybe Dillon if he can get back to how he looked like he was progressing 2 yrs ago.. (Sharks fan don't like him at all, so maybe I'll stick with the devil i know).

I'd probably take all of them over Sbisa so we can agree to disagree there

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'd probably take all of them over Sbisa so we can agree to disagree there

As well as the fact none of the current "top 4" Canucks I'd particularly want to have more icetime than what your average top 4 guy would have. In the case of injuries, some teams could have the other "three guys" take more than their fair share of shifts to take the pressure off a guy further down the depth chart.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bieksa was very good for Anaheim over the final 60 games of last season while playing top-4 minutes. He's better than Sbisa by a country mile - like, not even close.

Obviously the two of them playing together was a nightmare but that was mostly on Sbisa - Bieksa still was effective in 14-15 for us when he was playing with Hamhuis or Stanton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad