Speculation: Rangers Training Camp/Preseason 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I read what you wrote. I gave an alternative. And half the people on this board are predicting Chytil won’t make it through the season… As I’m obviously guessing about what happens two years down the road at best, I’m not going to battle you on it. Hahahaha. *I* see him as a PP option in a couple few seasons. If you don’t that’s fine!
2 years can be huge especially with a team that has multiple 30 year old plus guys playing large roles. The declines are coming. It is not a matter of if. Its just a matter of when. I really think Drury wanted to make a big move for a different kind of player this summer but the chance just was not there. This NHL summer was very quiet in terms of big player moves compared to previous years. I think after the playoffs he wanted to add a younger more physical star and would have been willing to move one of our bigger names that underperform in the playoffs in a package deal.

That is amazing. Coaches and fans should be thrilled to hear any of their players showing that kind of dedication. I wish all our young guys did that this summer!

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Sounds like management may have said or implied that this is the last chance for this core to some extent.
trouba is gone after this year. lindgren likely too.

The issue with Rempe is that he still hasn't demonstrated that he can play hockey. Edstrom has.

It shouldn't be edstrom v rempe but it is. and it's weighted - rempe has a spot, edstrom has to wait for one.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
At least for most of us it's hard not to love Rempe. He's been pretty much willing himself into becoming a hockey player and then has worked and worked to get better and become an NHL player. I've talked about how he reminds me of Fotiu but that was kind of Nick's thing too. It's kind of a coming out nowhere should never have happened kind of story. And Nick made it into the NHL because he would fight anybody and was willing to do what ever dirty job his team required.....and Nick could skate. He had real speed and he loved to throw his body around. It's almost as if Rempe is his reincarnation only a lot bigger.

Rempe's seeing his chance and it appears to me he's ready to run with it. I have him and Edstrom pencilled in as two parts of our future 4th line which might get its start at the end of training camp if Edstrom makes the team.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

The issue with Rempe is that he still hasn't demonstrated that he can play hockey. Edstrom has.

It shouldn't be edstrom v rempe but it is. and it's weighted - rempe has a spot, edstrom has to wait for one.

Coaches love big, physical guys who can skate and Edstrom is a big, physical guy who can skate. Rempe's just an even bigger physical presence than Edstrom is and I don't think it hurts as far as Laviolette is concerned that he can back that up with his ability to fight.

Anyway what the coaching staff is saying so far is one thing. We've already seen some of Edstrom. He looked real good but against a lot of kids. When preseason starts we should get to see him against better competition and also how much Rempe has improved and that will be something more concrete for us to judge from.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
In case anybody was wondering who was in the group.

Quick
Shesterkin
Rempe
Kakko
and Chytil who fell down (probably)
/s

Straight speed was never the problem. Hopefully this is a good sign for his turns, pivots, balance and stop/starts.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Coaches love big, physical guys who can skate and Edstrom is a big, physical guy who can skate. Rempe's just an even bigger physical presence than Edstrom is and I don't think it hurts as far as Laviolette is concerned that he can back that up with his ability to fight.

Anyway what the coaching staff is saying so far is one thing. We've already seen some of Edstrom. He looked real good but against a lot of kids. When preseason starts we should get to see him against better competition and also how much Rempe has improved and that will be something more concrete for us to judge from.
we saw edstrom in the nhl last season. in 2 shifts you saw more from him than Rempe showed in 20 games.

The issue with reducing both of these players to their commonalities: "big, physical guys who can skate...presence" is that it devalues, entirely ignores, their main difference.

The difference is that Edström is a polished and effective hockey player: he understands defensive positioning, he understands transition structure and offensive strategy. He can contribute within the flow of a team while utilizing his natural gifts. He has the swedish savvy to his game. Obviously different players but he brings some of what Jesper Fast has - a heady understanding of the game and ability to be in the right place to snuff out opposing players and help our team break the puck out.

Rempe brings almost none of that. He's just a human wrecking ball, thundering around the ice and to the front of the net. Is there room for that kind of player in todays NHL? Quite possibly! But the equivocating of these 2 players is classic Rongo/Rongite stuff.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
At least for most of us it's hard not to love Rempe. He's been pretty much willing himself into becoming a hockey player and then has worked and worked to get better and become an NHL player. I've talked about how he reminds me of Fotiu but that was kind of Nick's thing too. It's kind of a coming out nowhere should never have happened kind of story. And Nick made it into the NHL because he would fight anybody and was willing to do what ever dirty job his team required.....and Nick could skate. He had real speed and he loved to throw his body around. It's almost as if Rempe is his reincarnation only a lot bigger.

Rempe's seeing his chance and it appears to me he's ready to run with it. I have him and Edstrom pencilled in as two parts of our future 4th line which might get its start at the end of training camp if Edstrom makes the team.
A lot of people don't realize how significant it was that he went undrafted in the WHL Bantam draft. The 13 round long draft that guys who have no shot at ever playing in the WHL, let alone the NHL get drafted in. I play both ice & ball hockey, but played ball hockey at a much higher level (provincial) than ice. So I played ball hockey with several guys who were drafted in the WHL Bantam Draft, and at least when you subtract skating from the equation lol I was significantly better and outscored someone who was drafted in the 5th round of that draft. It is not a very high bar. He was such an unbelievable long shot. He goes undrafted & then less than a year later his dad dies. That was a devastating year for him and easily would've broken most people, but he used it to fuel him and has got to where he is by outworking everybody. His personality is just like a golden retriever and he is such a loveable kid. I think it's just people who hate the old school/physical/fighting aspects of hockey.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
we saw edstrom in the nhl last season. in 2 shifts you saw more from him than Rempe showed in 20 games.

The issue with reducing both of these players to their commonalities: "big, physical guys who can skate...presence" is that it devalues, entirely ignores, their main difference.

The difference is that Edström is a polished and effective hockey player: he understands defensive positioning, he understands transition structure and offensive strategy. He can contribute within the flow of a team while utilizing his natural gifts. He has the swedish savvy to his game. Obviously different players but he brings some of what Jesper Fast has - a heady understanding of the game and ability to be in the right place to snuff out opposing players and help our team break the puck out.

Rempe brings almost none of that. He's just a human wrecking ball, thundering around the ice and to the front of the net. Is there room for that kind of player in todays NHL? Quite possibly! But the equivocating of these 2 players is classic Rongo/Rongite stuff.
It's almost like people presume because of him not being as physical or a fighter, it means he’s a more skilled player. Their production in Hartford is almost identical despite Rempe being 2 years younger, and Rempe was the one who cracked the NHL. Rempe is miles ahead of where Edstrom was at the same age.

• Haha
Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
The quotes coming from the team mixed with Larry’s article and everything that happened this summer, this season has a tinge of possibly going off the rails

Vibes are gonna be weird this year. When do you ever hear guys on a team audibly say out loud “yeah this is it for us”

Might not be such a bad thing if it does. Laf would look pretty good in a conductor's hat.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The quotes coming from the team mixed with Larry’s article and everything that happened this summer, this season has a tinge of possibly going off the rails

Vibes are gonna be weird this year. When do you ever hear guys on a team audibly say out loud “yeah this is it for us”

Half the fanbase has been asking for seasons to go off the rails for awhile now. We really dont appreciate how good we've had it.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Carolina went all in last year and what did it gain them? They still lost in the 2nd round to us.

I don't support the idea that it's okay because everyone does it. That's not to say that we should never add at the deadline, but there's a limit. If you need that much help at the deadline, your team probably isn't good enough to win in the first place.

If we are going to make in-season moves, I'd much rather make them earlier in the year instead of waiting for the deadline. And I'd much rather target players who will be with us for at least a few years rather than throwing away assets on rentals. Drury has not done that. He has spent a bunch of assets, and we have nothing to show for it.
All you say is true but there's a counterargument for each point as well. (including examples of teams who spent (some excessively) and it paid off.

It also on players and coaches to win SC. Drury's job is to give them the best chance. Bringing reinforcements at TDL is also a vote of confidence that the front office believes in them.

All this to say it’s a fine line to walk - not spending draft capital to improve the team immediately can be just as bad as overspending.

PS. This past TDL and the one in the upcoming season I want Drury to bring someone on D who could be signed (if not already) to be a part of long-term core - if he were to part with a 1st round pick

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
It's almost like people presume because of him not being as physical or a fighter, it means he’s a more skilled player. Their production in Hartford is almost identical despite Rempe being 2 years younger, and Rempe was the one who cracked the NHL. Rempe is miles ahead of where Edstrom was at the same age.
first of all, Edstrom is a PK weapon. secondly he took 75 shots to Rempe's 45 in 3 fewer games. he was scoring close to .5ppg before his injury.

i'm not talking about what anyone else presumes. I'm talking about what I saw. as far as cracking the NHL, you're right - Rempe fought martin, and kept fighting. but miss me with the appeal to authority. Just because he stuck doesn't mean he deserved to.

This isn't to take away from his attitude or story. he seems like a great kid. he's just an inferior hockey player.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I think Nicky got a late start in life and in some ways was just thrilled to be an NHL player. He could not only skate fast (lol could he stop?) but he also had a very heavy wrist shot. I do not think Nicky reached his ceiling as a player. I do not think he understood that he had skills to be a better player.

Rempe is in a place where so much is about his fighting and size. This could be a key season for him. Does he become a spot 4th line player or show enough skills to say hey I can play a bigger role?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I agree about Trouba and Lindy but I think its much deeper. I think Drury is looking at playoff performers so if he can get younger and more physical then names like Bread and Zibs are also among possible changes. I know people will go nuts and call me crazy but if we do not have a good playoff showing this year even Fox could be available. Only guys I near (not totally) off the table are Shesty and Laf.

savebyrichter94

Every Profound Spirit Needs A Mask
Sep 14, 2008
PA

Who knows but maybe it’s the last little push they needed to finally get over the hump

No more excuses, now or never can be a galvanizing force, let’s hope that’s the case!

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Sounds like management may have said or implied that this is the last chance for this core to some extent.

idno i don't think there's any need, and it's not like that would change no matter how the season ends.

igor needs to be paid, laf needs to be paid which could climb significantly higher if he takes another step this year, kandre needs to be paid or potentially moved - don't expect that, but there's a chance, decision on kakko needs to be made and it might become tougher than most think it would be today, lindgren decision....so no matter how they prioritize who they plan to keep and where the money lands....there's no scenario that doesn't require moving at least 1 big contract by next year whether they win the cup or miss the playoffs entirely

as of today it doesn't seem likely trouba returns, and i personally think they'd like to move chytil as soon as this year if he can stick in the lineup for a long stretch and flash some offense. really don't see them entering the playoffs with him at 3c. lavi wants a shutdown line and that ain't in his toolkit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad