Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
For once we got the better brother
Once...?!

tumblr_lnrz1svQJO1qcqqkzo1_r1_500.gif

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If Chytil takes the 2C spot right out of camp then we’re paying 4.5 mil to a 3C.. not a fan of that.

Laf will probably start on the 3rd line, so if Chytil grabs 2C, Strome slides over to the wing. Of course, that probably puts Howden at 3C, but maybe he can find his game playing between Laf and Kakko.

I think the whole scenario is unlikely though. Chytil will need to show enough during the regular season, not just in preseason, to earn that spot.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Laf will probably start on the 3rd line, so if Chytil grabs 2C, Strome slides over to the wing. Of course, that probably puts Howden at 3C, but maybe he can find his game playing between Laf and Kakko.

I think the whole scenario is unlikely though. Chytil will need to show enough during the regular season, not just in preseason, to earn that spot.

This is where I'm at, too. My concern with Strome (aside from his lack of interest in playing defense) was that he would be cemented to that second line with Panarin no matter HOW Chytil plays. But with the team right now, even if he is stuck at 3c, Chytil will have more talented wingers than he had this year. I'd still run a top line of Laf/Zib/Kakko, a second line of Panarin/Strome/Whoever, and a 3rd line of Kreider/Chytil/Buchnevich. That last group showed some chemistry. It puts our two blue chip kids in the best position to succeed by playing with each other and our best center. And Panarin/Strome can still rack up points no matter who is on the right.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

I’m so confused. Why not just bump Strome back to the 3rd line in that case?

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Panarin-Chytil/Strome-Kakko
Laf-Chytil/Strome-Lemieux

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I’m so confused. Why not just bump Strome back to the 3rd line in that case?

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Panarin-Chytil/Strome-Kakko
Laf-Chytil/Strome-Lemieux

I'm sure we're going to see all kinds of line combinations, but I think the idea will be to keep Panarin and Strome together, at least at the start of the season. I doubt we'll see both Chytil and Kakko on the 2nd line with Panarin, barring injuries or both players just taking a huge step forward.

If it did play out that way, I'd rather have GOAT on 3RW. This is what I would like to see:

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Laf-Chytil-Gauthier/Kravtsov
Lemieux-Howden-Rooney/Gauthier

But again, as I said, we will see a lot of different combinations.

Reactions: ColonialsHockey10

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If Chytil takes the 2C spot right out of camp then we’re paying 4.5 mil to a 3C.. not a fan of that.

so paying strome $4.5 mil to be the 2c and chytil 894k to be the 3c is ok but if you reverse them its a problem? makes zero sense.

4.5 mil is cheap for a 2C...its a bit much for a 3C IF you are paying the 1st line center 1C $$ and the 2nd line center 2C $$ but we are paying mika 2C $$ and chytil is on an ELC so its not a big deal.

Fansince1992

May 18, 2014
This is gonna be a big year for Chytil because as of right now, he's terrible at faceoffs, he's not a good defender, he's not physical, and outside of a flashy goal here and there, he's not very good offensively.

Agreed...which is why Strome for 2 years with a $4.5M AAV is a soliddeal

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
so if Chytil grabs 2C, Strome slides over to the wing.

A lot of options but I think the variable here is how Kakko performs. If he's doing well opposite Panarin and if Chytil outperforms Strome to center this line, then Strome just goes to 3c and play with Lafreniere. Then the next decision point will be around Kreider and Laf. A lot of moving parts and it will come down to readiness and chemistry (not only Panarin - Strome but also Kreider - Zibanejad) though I'm sure there will be a sector of the fans screaming bloody murder whatever Quinn decides to go with.

P.S. Just saw your next post and you already acknowledged multiple options for line combos

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
We were regretting B Smith half a season in. Season 2 was awful.

Prepare for similar with this awful contract

A guy who got carried to vastly overinflated totals, was actually a significant negative away from the score sheet and had little to no trade value despite his overinflated totals bc of how much of a negative he was when not scoring. We pissed away a goddamn 2nd to pcik up Jack Johnson's corpse and this bum.

Awful decision making

Unless he's guaranteed to eat up an expansion draft spot. I'll be more ok with this if we can guarantee that in order to save an actual good player

Reactions: Oscar Lindberg

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

A guy who got carried to vastly overinflated totals, was actually a significant negative away from the score sheet and had little to no trade value despite his overinflated totals bc of how much of a negative he was when not scoring. We pissed away a goddamn 2nd to pcik up Jack Johnson's corpse and this bum.

Awful decision making

Unless he's guaranteed to eat up an expansion draft spot. I'll be more ok with this if we can guarantee that in order to save an actual good player

They also pissed away every 2nd they had over the last decade on horrible draft picks like Thomas, Halverson, Nieves and Gropp so I'd argue that this is actually a better use.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
They also pissed away every 2nd they had over the last decade on horrible draft picks like Thomas, Halverson, Nieves and Gropp so I'd argue that this is actually a better use.

True, that's why if this makes the difference and allows us to save a good young player then that's the only reason I'd see this as a good-great move.

As a hockey player, if the expansion draft isn't a consideration, then I love the guy for busting his ass and reviving his career. But I'd still despise this contract and the value we gave up just to sign it

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Awful decision making

They didn't use a second to pick up Jack Johnson, they used it to be cap compliant.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019

Awful decision making

Name checks out, your post is like every ridiculous take on the HF boards.

Like it or not, Strome is a 2C on this team. He put up points. If the argument is because he played with Panarin than Fast should have 50+ points as well. Either way Strome participated in the score sheet in one form or fashion.

He will be expansion eligible. He is a safety net so Chytil isnt thrust into 2C before he's ready. This isnt a long term deal and easily movable.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
This gives us options for the expansion and potential for flipping at the deadline or next offseason, while giving us a chance to evaluate our current players. Love it. Strome won't be blocking Chytil and he won't be preventing us from making future moves. I don't see why people are crying over the second year.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
True, that's why if this makes the difference and allows us to save a good young player then that's the only reason I'd see this as a good-great move.

As a hockey player, if the expansion draft isn't a consideration, then I love the guy for busting his ass and reviving his career. But I'd still despise this contract and the value we gave up just to sign it
What exactly do you think second line centers cost?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
What exactly do you think second line centers cost?

obviously a decent 2C should make under $3 mil while also scoring 70+ points lol

I thought it was pretty obvious what my thoughts are in regards to him actually being a 2nd line center

"A guy who got carried to vastly overinflated totals, was actually a significant negative away from the score sheet and had little to no trade value despite his overinflated totals bc of how much of a negative he was when not scoring. We pissed away a goddamn 2nd to pcik up Jack Johnson's corpse and this bum"

This isn't just "Paying 4 M for a guy who is without a doubt a bona fide 2nd line center."

Why pretend like it is?

Now if you feel he will continue to put up the same kind of stats and improve slightly in other areas I wouldn't say you're wrong bc he absolutely could.

I just don't think that's what's going to happen. I think he'll regress and we paid a 2nd rounder to watch him do it. My opinion is based on that. But my fingers are crossed that I'll be wrong

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Name checks out, your post is like every ridiculous take on the HF boards.

Like it or not, Strome is a 2C on this team. He put up points. If the argument is because he played with Panarin than Fast should have 50+ points as well. Either way Strome participated in the score sheet in one form or fashion.

He will be expansion eligible. He is a safety net so Chytil isnt thrust into 2C before he's ready. This isnt a long term deal and easily movable.

A lot of my posts/ my name are a nod to this places typical awful posters who can't read and have an even harder time responding appropriately to what they've read bc they fail to understand it.

So your response is really ironic bc it perfectly represents what my name lampoons.

Im not pretending it's impossible for him to maintain his scoring from last season. What's more, I even acknowledged that it's fine as long as he can be expansion fodder.

But, no surprise, you're pretending like it's impossible for him to regress to what he had been for the majority of his career, ignoring what I said about the expansion draft, while being a complete dick to me at the same time. That's how this place works

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad