Rangers Raise “Regular season Champions” banner.

BretterThanYou

Sep 17, 2006
Collinsville IL
Why not just do President's Trophy? That's what the Blues did. Though I don't see the point in a "Western Conference Champions" banner for 2018-19.

1729087741504.png

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Why not just do President's Trophy? That's what the Blues did. Though I don't see the point in a "Western Conference Champions" banner for 2018-19.

View attachment 917315

Because they won the western conference in the playoffs. All teams that I'm aware of put up a banner of some nature for the conference championship when they make the finals.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Is it typical for original 6 teams to raise regular season banners?

Because they won the western conference in the playoffs. All teams that I'm aware of put up a banner of some nature for the conference championship when they make the finals.

I don't think Montreal has any banners aside for cups. I could be wrong though.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
The Rangers have always used this wording over President’s Trophy for some reason. At least they’re consistent, but I personally don't like it.

But glad to see Spittin Chiclets as stupid as usual. What the f*** are they talking about?

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yes but it usually says “presidents trophy”
The Rangers have a banner for this that goes back well before the NHL created the President's Trophy, so they're probably just trying to be consistent with their own internal precedent. The President's Trophy only goes back to 1986, and the Rangers history goes back a lot further than that.

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
The Rangers have a banner for this that goes back well before the NHL created the President's Trophy, so they're probably just trying to be consistent with their own internal precedent.

It's not even their own precedent, before the President's Trophy this was standard league wording...

Prior to this, the team that finished in first place when the regular season concluded was allowed to hang a banner reading "NHL League Champions."

At this point, people complaining about it are being willfully ignorant and just as bad as those who complain about teams putting geographic restriction on ticket sales.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
It's not even their own precedent, before the President's Trophy this was standard league wording...

The Rangers 41-42 banner uses the same wording as the current one.

And FFS, not everything has to be exactly standardized. They had the best record over 82 games out of 32 teams. That's a huge accomplishment and they should absolutely hang an f'ing banner.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

At this point, people complaining about it are being willfully ignorant and just as bad as those who complain about teams putting geographic restriction on ticket sales.
Just check who created the thread. That’s all you need to know. They were bragging about their two ECF appearances in a row and then subsequently went back to obscurity, now they laugh at the Ranger’s banner. Lmao

• Haha
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Is it typical for original 6 teams to raise regular season banners?

I don't think Montreal has any banners aside for cups. I could be wrong though.

I think you're right, I didn't see anything for it during a Google search but I did see this lol...

yea-montreal-really-loved-their-expos.jpg

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Montreal and Toronto have lots of banners for winning a 6 team division in the rafters.

I know you're trying to make a joke, but I do really wonder if teams actually raised regular season banners back then.

I think it became a thing later on.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Montreal and Toronto have lots of banners for winning a 6 team division in the rafters.
There's always someone that hurries to write a comment like this every damn time lol.

Trying to discredit Montreal/Toronto and their hockey history doesn't give your team any more banners, and the Habs have as many cups since the expansion as the Canes. Sheet, we made the SCF a few years ago, how about you?

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
There's always someone that hurries to write a comment like this every damn time lol.

Trying to discredit Montreal/Toronto and their hockey history doesn't give your team any more banners, and the Habs have as many cups since the expansion as the Canes. Sheet, we made the SCF a few years ago, how about you?
He was doing the opposite of discrediting them if you read the discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad