WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Chmelar, sub PPG NCAA 21 y.o.
BMB - down year because of injuries but still PPG 20 y.o., PPG in playoffs
Laba - PPG 21 y.o. in NCAA
Roobroeck, PPG 20 y.o. trending up, PPG in playoffs
There are probably intangibles that I won't see (please call any out) but I'm going with young and trending up.

Roo, add Robertson. Tempted to go Scanlin but son is 25 y.o. already!

Reactions: Kendo

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Laba.

Add Boilard, who got second round grades and scored at a similar rate to Roobroeck and BMB, who are both 2 years older than him, while getting less opportunity than either of them.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Laba.

Add Boilard, who got second round grades and scored at a similar rate to Roobroeck and BMB, who are both 2 years older than him, while getting less opportunity than either of them.
Next round he’ll get vote to be added.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Mancini. Add Boilard.

Robertson is really on a "last chance agreement" with the organization. If he doesn't make some major strides, which honestly feels very unlikely, he's gone next summer and may need to look to Europe if he wants to be more than an AHL depth guy.

Reactions: Fitzy and pblawr

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Laba, add Scanlin.

Robertson is a frustrating case. Kid has all the measurables you look for in NHL dmen, but just can't seem to pull it together and take that next step. I remember his first prospect tourney after being drafted. He looked so polished compared to most of the other prospects out there, but just never developed much.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Voted Mancini just because he seems closest but don’t think there is a ton of separation in this group in general

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Laba has made significant strides forward every single season the past 4 years now. You can have questions about his NHL upside and whether his game fits the league, and how far left he has left to climb, but his play has done nothing but improve each season.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Laba has made significant strides forward every single season the past 4 years now. You can have questions about his NHL upside and whether his game fits the league, and how far left he has left to climb, but his play has done nothing but improve each season.
Yeah, the fact that Laba won the defensive forward of the year award in a major conference and was a second-team All-American seems like a good sign that he is a good bet to be at least a 4th line forward who can kill penalties.

But he also increased his point total almost 70% from the year before and was the leading scorer on the #15 team in the country by almost 10 points. If he continues to improve and leads a top college team with well over a point per game this year, he is going to start looking like a guy who could play in the top 9, and someone who can do that while playing a great defensive game is a really valuable player.

I don't think anyone else left has that kind of upside (honestly, I don't think the last few guys who have gone before him do either) and it's not like anyone else's floor is much better than Laba's either. Personally, I would have him much higher than he is going to go in our poll.

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah, the fact that Laba won the defensive forward of the year award in a major conference and was a second-team All-American seems like a good sign that he is a good bet to be at least a 4th line forward who can kill penalties.

But he also increased his point total almost 70% from the year before and was the leading scorer on the #15 team in the country by almost 10 points. If he continues to improve and leads a top college team with well over a point per game this year, he is going to start looking like a guy who could play in the top 9, and someone who can do that while playing a great defensive game is a really valuable player.

I don't think anyone else left has that kind of upside (honestly, I don't think the last few guys who have gone before him do either) and it's not like anyone else's floor is much better than Laba's either. Personally, I would have him much higher than he is going to go in our poll.
Absolutely! IMO he should have been in top-10 over the likes of Rempe and Edstrom (nothing against these guys)

Reactions: pblawr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad