OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
My favorite thing about IKF is he is a bottom of the order guy whose very good at situational hitting. He actually understands how to move to runner by hitting behind and he can bunt

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Now you're just cherry picking, knock it off!

How anyone in their right mind could suggest that these two aren't upgrades over our current guys is just lunacy!
using stats isn't cherrypicking. like how Joe has better numbers than BDLC the past two years.

Go play in traffic, you're just not a serious person.
dispute the numbers man. instead of childish insults.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
De La Cruz has a bWAR of 0.2 this season and 1.4 for his entire career. Come on - he's literally a replacement player so trying to prop up his numbers by including Suwinski's negative value is some legendary spin. Come on.

Can you not do math or something?

If you’re getting -1.5 WAR out of your RF position and bring in a guy who can give you 0.0 WAR, that means your team improves by 1.5 WAR. That’s not a “legendary spin”, it’s literally one of the simplest analyses you can do.

BDLC has an OPS of .671 since April 22.

Another math lesson for you: .671>.630

We may need to slow down with all of these ultra advanced math problems.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Can you not do math or something?

If you’re getting -1.5 WAR out of your RF position and bring in a guy who can give you 0.0 WAR, that means your team improves by 1.5 WAR. That’s not a “legendary spin”, it’s literally one of the simplest analyses you can do.

Another math lesson for you: .671>.630

We may need to slow down with all of these ultra advanced math problems.
Is this what we're doing? Connor Joe's bWAR is higher than BDLC's. Thus by definition we just downgraded by moving PT from Joe to BDLC. Or are we going to use different stats now?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
BDLC not a great OBP, terrible in fact, that hurts his OPS yes, but some of his power numbers are now 3rd best on team.

Extra base hits
Reynolds 41
Cruz 41
next best is Cutch at 27

De La Cruz has 37

RBi's

Reynolds 61
Cruz 54
next best is Nicky G. at 39

De La Cruz 51

I don't get how that's a total failure in getting a bat. No one is saying he's Aaron Judge.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is this what we're doing? Connor Joe's bWAR is higher than BDLC's. Thus by definition we just downgraded by moving PT from Joe to BDLC. Or are we going to use different stats now?

If Connor Joe was actually performing, they wouldn’t have needed to acquire De La Cruz in the first place.

If Joe would have been a consistent bat rather than “great in April and bad since”, they wouldn’t need to acquire a RF because Joe would fill that role.

Reactions: DaveG

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I like the two moves and generally think it was an solid deadline, but agree with others that this doesn't really move the needle much for me. With Perez out and IKF in that's basically a wash in terms of payroll. It's an improvement to the things that needed addressing, but it's not exactly a vote of confidence from ownership/front office.

C+/B- ?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
BDLC not a great OBP, terrible in fact, that hurts his OPS yes, but his power numbers are now 3rd best on team.

Extra base hits
Reynolds 41
Cruz 41
next best is Cutch at 27

De La Cruz has 37

RBi's

Reynolds 61
Cruz 54

I don't get how that's a total failure in getting a bat.
It's not, we just have trolls here who can't see the obvious.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
No one with even a modicum of common sense would take Connor Joe over BDLC.
Its Odd that Joe has outproduced him than. Higher OPS player the past two seaons. Hell, Joes season last year was miles better than anything BDLC has done.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
BDLC not a great OBP, terrible in fact, that hurts his OPS yes, but some of his power numbers are now 3rd best on team.

Extra base hits
Reynolds 41
Cruz 41
next best is Cutch at 27

De La Cruz has 37

RBi's

Reynolds 61
Cruz 54

De La Cruz 51

I don't get how that's a total failure in getting a bat. No one is saying he's Aaron Judge.
Well using RBI is flawed. OPS is the best overall measure. And his numbers scream "more of the same we already have"

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Its Odd that Joe has outproduced him than. Higher OPS player the past two seaons. Hell, Joes season last year was miles better than anything BDLC has done.
Thanks for proving my point.

Also if Joe was better why the need for DLC in the 1st place?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I like the two moves and generally think it was an solid deadline, but agree with others that this doesn't really move the needle much for me. With Perez out and IKF in that's basically a wash in terms of payroll. It's an improvement to the things that needed addressing, but it's not exactly a vote of confidence from ownership/front office.

C+/B- ?

Anything from C+ to B seems fair to me. They improved by acquiring mid players to replace bad players and didn’t really pay anything of significance for it.

Reactions: DaveG

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Anything from C+ to B seems fair to me. They improved by acquiring mid players to replace bad players and didn’t really pay anything of significance for it.
Serious question - are you cool with going into next season with these two as your "additions" to the lineup? You have to recognize that there's a very real chance that this added salary will preclude/replace other additions of consequence this offseason. You good with rolling into 2025 with this lineup (IKF at CF and Gonzales at 2B)? That's not a good offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad