OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There are just as many Pirates fans who want to bitch about the team as there are fans who are trying to be optimistic with the team.

Their deadline ended up solid overall. They didn't really trade anything of note but added 2 hitters (3 if you think Yorke is close) who should help the team both now and next year. I'm not deluded into thinking IKF's 2024 is his new normal, but him even being a 90-95 OPS CF with his defense is a valuable piece for the team.

It's a solid B of a deadline. They got some mild MLB help for pretty insignificant assets overall. I would have preferred them to swing more aggressively for Chisholm rather than IKF, but that would take the deadline to great in my eyes.

Reactions: Rave7215 and DaveG

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We gave up next to nothing for proven commodities and added a a top five prospect. Very good deadline for the Pirates. They weren't gonna do anything huge, but they did improve their team.

Before today most of you wouldn't have thought they'd even do that.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
There are just as many Pirates fans who want to bitch about the team as there are fans who are trying to be optimistic with the team.

Their deadline ended up solid overall. They didn't really trade anything of note but added 2 hitters (3 if you think Yorke is close) who should help the team both now and next year. I'm not deluded into thinking IKF's 2024 is his new normal, but him even being a 90-95 OPS CF with his defense is a valuable piece for the team.

It's a solid B of a deadline. They got some mild MLB help for pretty insignificant assets overall. I would have preferred them to swing more aggressively for Chisholm rather than IKF, but that would take the deadline to great in my eyes.
Suggesting that those who aren't thrilled with the deadline have an agenda and/or want to bitch is silly. We do all know that you'd talk yourself into being happy with anything they did, and I wish I was as constantly and irrationally positive about transactions made by Pittsburgh sports teams as you are. But it's not WANTING to bitch being meh about these moves - it's frankly objective.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Suggesting that those who aren't thrilled with the deadline have an agenda and/or want to bitch is silly. We do all know that you'd talk yourself into being happy with anything they did, and I wish I was as constantly and irrationally positive about transactions made by Pittsburgh sports teams as you are. But it's not WANTING to bitch being meh about these moves - it's frankly objective.

Yes, there is no one in this thread that just wants to complain to complain about the team. What an absolute silly suggestion by me!

FYI Kiner Falefa has the same bWAR as Reynolds this year at 3.1 bWAR.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Kalefa is hitting .292 this year and is hitting .264 for his career. Career numbers aren't gawdy to be sure, but again relative to most guys in this line up it's a decided upgrade! Good defensively as well! And under contract next year.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Kalefa is hitting .292 this year and is hitting .264 for his career. Career numbers aren't gawdy to be sure, but again relative to most guys in this line up it's a decided upgrade! Good defensively as well! And under contract next year.
Yeah when we have dudes going .182 all year... All we need is more than two hits per inning once in awhile

We've stranded HOW many in scoring position?!?!?!?

This team should have less sub 3 run games now

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can understand the argument that the Pirates targeted pretty mid tier players and were more focused on getting supplementary pieces than the true top pieces they “need”. But I can’t understand the argument at all that this team didn’t “improve” with this swap.

Going from Suwinski to De La Cruz adds 2 bWAR in value because of how bad Suwinski was this year. Going from Taylor to IKF adds about 2.5 bWAR in value, and honestly that may even be underselling it with how much better offensively IKF has been. Sure, they didn’t get any top of the line additions, but the additions they made are significant improvements solely because of how bad the alternatives were.

To put it another way: this team significantly improved by getting rid of bad players for mid players. The guys they got were pretty mid, but “pretty mid” is a huge improvement over the trash they’ve gotten out of the Taylor, Suwinski, Olivares and such group this year.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
That .264 places him exactly 2nd on the team this year. Instead of the usual inning ending groundout, strikeout, double play, maybe he extends the inning and gets Jones, Keller or the GOAT another run or two. And keeps them in the game longer.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Connor Joe doesn't have 18 HR. Also the guys we gave up are bums! So, there's that.
Who cares about 18 HRs if your OPS is of a singles slap hitter? lol. They needed to add an actual everyday bat to the lineup, and they failed big time.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Who cares about 18 HRs if your OPS is of a singles slap hitter? lol. They needed to add an actual everyday bat to the lineup, and they failed big time.
Clearly you have no idea as to what you're talking about. Do better.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That .264 places him exactly 2nd on the team this year.
This is the point that many here aren't understanding! It's not that these guys are world beaters, it's that they're solid players going to a team where most other guys suck. lol
Instead of the usual inning ending groundout, strikeout, double play, maybe he extends the inning and gets Jones, Keller or the GOAT another run or two. And keeps them in the game longer.

I do know what im talking about, you can easily look up stats.

De La cruz is a below average outfield bat. Don't just look at the HR column lol
Below average bat? On this team? Again context is important.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I can understand the argument that the Pirates targeted pretty mid tier players and were more focused on getting supplementary pieces than the true top pieces they “need”. But I can’t understand the argument at all that this team didn’t “improve” with this swap.

Going from Suwinski to De La Cruz adds 2 bWAR in value because of how bad Suwinski was this year. Going from Taylor to IKF adds about 2.5 bWAR in value, and honestly that may even be underselling it with how much better offensively IKF has been. Sure, they didn’t get any top of the line additions, but the additions they made are significant improvements solely because of how bad the alternatives were.

To put it another way: this team significantly improved by getting rid of bad players for mid players. The guys they got were pretty mid, but “pretty mid” is a huge improvement over the trash they’ve gotten out of the Taylor, Suwinski, Olivares and such group this year.
De La Cruz has a bWAR of 0.2 this season and 1.4 for his entire career. Come on - he's literally a replacement player so trying to prop up his numbers by including Suwinski's negative value is some legendary spin. Come on.

Reactions: PensandCaps

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
This is the point that many here aren't understanding! It's not that these guys are world beaters, it's that they're solid players going to a team where most other guys suck. lol

Below average bat? On this team? Again context is important.
Do you think that what he has slashed the past two years; 252/298/712, is really some improvement ? You have to cover your eyes and ignore stats to say that.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I cannot believe how absurd some of you are! lol

De la cruz, relative to Joe and Suwinski is a decided upgrade. lol

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
That .264 places him exactly 2nd on the team this year. Instead of the usual inning ending groundout, strikeout, double play, maybe he extends the inning and gets Jones, Keller or the GOAT another run or two. And keeps them in the game longer.
Why using average? hitting 292 is a little less meaningful if you're only hitting 330s OBP.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Do you think that what he has slashed the past two years; 252/298/712, is really some improvement ? You have to cover your eyes and ignore stats to say that.
Do I believe he's an upgrade relative to who we have currently?

Yes a 1000 times yes!

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I cannot believe how absurd some of you are! lol

De la cruz, relative to Joe and Suwinski is a decided upgrade. lol
Suwinski sure, Joe? absolutely nothing about their stats the past two years show De La Cruz being better than Joe, letalone decidedly. Look at the numbers, instead of just vibes and feels.

Joe has better offensive numbers the past two seasons. So odd to say that BDLC is decidedly better lol.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Why using average? hitting 292 is a little less meaningful if you're only hitting 330s OBP.
Now you're just cherry picking, knock it off!

How anyone in their right mind could suggest that these two aren't upgrades over our current guys is just lunacy!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Suwinski sure, Joe? absolutely nothing about their stats the past two years show De La Cruz being better than Joe, letalone decidedly. Look at the numbers, instead of just vibes and feels.

Joe has better offensive numbers the past two seasons. So odd to say that BDLC is decidedly better lol.
Go play in traffic, you're just not a serious person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad