OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
The utility guy makes a lot of sense given Nick Gonzalez going down. It's a perfectly fine move on its own. The problem is that they didn't do anything to really improve the team. I know people love BDLC's 18 HRs, but his overall numbers are poor so he's not really adding anything except the occasional HR. Idk, I'm not upset about either move but this team really needed to add a plus bat and they didn't. They added bit parts and they needed more.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The utility guy makes a lot of sense given Nick Gonzalez going down. It's a perfectly fine move on its own. The problem is that they didn't do anything to really improve the team. I know people love BDLC's 18 HRs, but his overall numbers are poor so he's not really adding anything except the occasional HR. Idk, I'm not upset about either move but this team really needed to add a plus bat and they didn't. They added bit parts and they needed more.
What plus bat got traded this deadline

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
yup......... either swing for the fences or stay put.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Would have loved Rooker (duh), but the fact that no one got him, gives some credence to the reports that A's had no interest in trading him/it would have cost 4-5 top prospects. If it's the latter, no one was willing to go that route.

Reactions: Factorial and DaveG

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I just feel like people are so desperate for reasons to be optimistic that they find ways to talk themselves into being happy about moves that they'd absolutely crush if equivalent moves were made by the Penguins or Steelers. I'm not even really arguing that they should have gone further in to add to this team, but I just can't get on board with "well it's better than nothing" when you've not really upgraded and added 2025 payroll that will be another excuse not to get actual upgrades over the winter. Hope I'm wrong and I'm not going to belabor it - it's just the baseball equivalent of adding a 7th defenseman and 4th line center while your competitors who already possess deeper rosters trade for Guentzel and Hertl. Carry on. Go Bucs.

Or put more succinctly:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I just feel like people are so desperate for reasons to be optimistic that they find ways to talk themselves into being happy about moves that they'd absolutely crush if equivalent moves were made by the Penguins or Steelers. I'm not even really arguing that they should have gone further in to add to this team, but I just can't get on board with "well it's better than nothing" when you've not really upgraded and added 2025 payroll that will be another excuse not to get actual upgrades over the winter. Hope I'm wrong and I'm not going to belabor it - it's just the baseball equivalent of adding a 7th defenseman and 4th line center while your competitors who already possess deeper rosters trade for Guentzel and Hertl. Carry on. Go Bucs.
I think you're underselling things a bit. These are good moves that lengthen the line up. Are they earth shattering? No, but they do move the needle. We're a better team now than we were two hours ago. It's at a minimum a decided step in the right direction.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Or put more succinctly:

Who are Guentzel and Hertl?

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Yes, yes they do. At least they're each hitting over .200.

Relative to several of our players they're a decided upgrade. If you can't acknowledge that fact then you're just choosing to be miserable. Kinda Ironic with your moniker. lol
Speaking of ironic, the guy who's shit all over everything forever on the Penguins thread calling someone else miserable is pure gold.

Just expressing an opinion. If you want to be excited over a corner OF with a .700 OPS and a utility player who NEVER hit until this year and act like we can go to battle with the Braves and Mets and DBacks and Cardinals, good on you.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Speaking of ironic, the guy who's shit all over everything forever on the Penguins thread calling someone else miserable is pure gold.

Just expressing an opinion. If you want to be excited over a corner OF with a .700 OPS and a utility player who NEVER hit until this year and act like we can go to battle with the Braves and Mets and DBacks and Cardinals, good on you.
Don't conflate or deflect, we're talking buccos here not old dinosaur Penguins, stay on topic!

If we weren't so abysmal with our bats there would be merit to what you're saying. But at least these guys lengthen the line up and can hit north of .240. That in and of itself isn't great, but on THIS team it's a pretty big upgrade. Context is important.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
GMBC interview (not sure if live, or clips from earlier) on theFAN in about 20 minutes to talk trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad