OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Yeah, I think Reynolds being back is a given. Just seems they're choosing to go with Bae and Palacios over Suwinski. Not a Suwinski fan at all but not really sure that's the right play...but the fact these are the options is a damning indictment of GMBC.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
What about Davis?

He's on a 9 game hitting streak and batting .345 this month in Indy
There's no roster spot available. They called up Bae when Reynolds when on leave. With Reynolds coming back and if Bae is staying, Suwinski goes down. I mean, yeah, they could easily create a spot for him but it's not the corresponding move for Suwinski.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I backed Suwinski generally but some of the ABs this weekend were irredeemable. I think Bae at least competes at the plate which is something we need right now.

They are sheltering Davis until the TDL passes. Miami was by far the best fit but perhaps Oakland or Colorado emerges. I would like for the team to begin getting him reps in RF again after the TDL and hopefully he won't be a baby about it this time. He is not a better catcher than Bart or Endy

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm looking forward to but also bracing for Robert Murray's live show tomorrow afternoon. I'm sure he will say we're going to land Pham or something, but I hope he will have something more exciting.

I think you could maybe squint with the Reynolds news and see us angling for some kind of trade, but realistically any player acquired Tuesday might not be with the team until we return home for the weekend. I think it might just be a question of giving Bae some small run and not really playing Suwinski, while also not really being able to ditch Williams with Gonzales out. We can reshuffle if and when any deals are made.

Maybe slightly lost in all the shuffle and frustration today/this weekend is that Keller stepped up and delivered big time. That's at least the second straight time he has done that by my count. I think we probably need a series W in Houston for this to be a successful road trip, and that's pretty hard to see. Still, not many better ways to start game 1 than with Skenes on the mound.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I'm looking forward to but also bracing for Robert Murray's live show tomorrow afternoon. I'm sure he will say we're going to land Pham or something, but I hope he will have something more exciting.

I think you could maybe squint with the Reynolds news and see us angling for some kind of trade, but realistically any player acquired Tuesday might not be with the team until we return home for the weekend. I think it might just be a question of giving Bae some small run and not really playing Suwinski, while also not really being able to ditch Williams with Gonzales out. We can reshuffle if and when any deals are made.

Maybe slightly lost in all the shuffle and frustration today/this weekend is that Keller stepped up and delivered big time. That's at least the second straight time he has done that by my count. I think we probably need a series W in Houston for this to be a successful road trip, and that's pretty hard to see. Still, not many better ways to start game 1 than with Skenes on the mound.
Honestly, Pham would be a massive upgrade. I'd even take that.

Give credit where credit is due. Shelton made the right moves necessary to win this game today. Seemed like a joke at the time, and was likely lucky, but there was no other way to win the game.

Reactions: DaveG

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Stealing one was huge. Hell, if we take only one from Houston that wouldn't be terrible. Just have to avoid sweeps. Of course, moot point if we don't add any bats.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Missing out of Parades really sucks because he's the exact kind of guy I wanted them to be targeting. I'm just hoping they can pull off some sort of cost controlled bat at this point. I don't think there are any worthwhile CF available at this point, but any sort of cost controlled bat would be worth it.

At this point, I'm hoping for Diaz but expecting Pham. So I guess that means someone like Thomas or Rengifo would be an acceptable middle ground.

Last edited:

Mr Jeff Jimerson

May 9, 2013
Stealing one was huge. Hell, if we take only one from Houston that wouldn't be terrible. Just have to avoid sweeps. Of course, moot point if we don't add any bats.
It's over. Buccos fans need to just accept this year's over and start looking forward to next year. Cherington is right for not trading for anyone at this year's deadline. Every NL wild card race team is better than the Bucs and it took the opposing pitcher having a meltdown to avoid a sweep today.

The fact is this is one of the worst .500 teams at August since the 21st century. The Bucs have one player hitting .288 and everyone else is hitting .250 or worse. That is an embarrassingly atrocious offense. Acquiring a prime Tony Gwynn or Pete Rose wouldn't even make this offense competent. Wrap your mind around that one.

I've been a Battlin' Buccos fan since the days of Jack Wilson, Craig Wilson, and Pokey Reese. Needless to say I've endured watching some horrifically anemic offenses. But this year, by far, has been one of the absolute worst.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
The guy(s) they SHOULD go after this deadline, IMO, are guys with control beyond this season. Either that or just sell Bednar, Chapman, Holderman, Taylor, Tellez, etc.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Is everybody looking for their Josh Bell jerseys and jersey shirts knowing he’s going to be the huge piece the Pirates add today?
You funny. Zero chance Nutting claims him with over $5 million owed for 50 some odd games.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
You funny. Zero chance Nutting claims him with over $5 million owed for 50 some odd games.
Depends on how much money he sends out. Could easily see MT Perez and Chapmen all traded for prospects today or tomorrow and Andrew is hitting under 200 last 60 games or so he might not be brought back next year

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Well, I had typed out a much-too-long post this morning and it got eaten alive by FanGraphs' impossible website crashing my computer. Maybe that's for the best.

The tldr; was that I read something about Chisholm preferring to move back to the infield, though maybe that's just PR from his and/or the Yankees camp. In a lot of ways, he was the perfect imperfect candidate, since there are questions about consistency and health but still real upside and he'd be better than what we have.

Regardless, the important thing is that we have nobody to play CF, right now or next year. Suwinski seems like the guy the FO wanted in that spot headed into the year, but he's tumbled off a cliff for now. I think there are two options:

1) do what mediocre/bad teams all start doing around this time of the year and find out what you have with the best internal option. With Suwinski failing, that's Bae. He's hard to get a read on because of the injury, so maybe this has been plan B all along and we're going to at least try it out for the next few weeks. I have no clue how he's looked defensively in Indy, but he's at least hit the ball there.

I think he profiles much better as a utility player who can mix and match at 2B and the OF spots depending on how you use him that day. He needs to use his speed better to fully fill that role, but you saw a glimpse of how he can impact the game with that bunt yesterday, which arguably was the main catalyst for winning the game, as the pitcher unraveled after it. If he had made the play to get Bae out at first (probably unlikely), then maybe he just gives up a sac fly and the Dbacks win.

2) make a trade. I've seen people mention Yaz, but he's 33 and hasn't played CF this year. Lane Thomas also doesn't seem like a great option defensively. Pham is a total stopgap and he's what many seem to think is inevitable for us. Honestly, I don't know how much I like Bae, but I'd rather just give Bae some rope than get Pham for CF. I guess the flip side is that the OF is so thin that we can acquire somebody and still give Bae fairly regular playing time.

Really, I think the best option here is Mullins, and it's trying to do some quick searches on him which led to my computer crashing (though unsurprisingly, I've now rambled to the same original length). I question whether the Orioles will move him ultimately, but the writing seems to be on the wall that he won't be back in 2025. I don't think they are sentimental, but he's a long-tenured player and on paper a Mullins-Pache platoon makes some sense and gives you pinch hit and/or run possibilities in the playoffs.

If Mullins is available, I think he's well worth taking the shot on. He's got a 122 wRC+ since June 1st, which puts him in the top 10 among regular CFs. He'll be in a contract year next year, so assuming he can remain viable, you might get a bounce back to something closer to his earlier self with something to prove.

The Orioles need pitching, and I still think something like Chapman for Mullins could be a baseball trade that makes sense. My caveat would be that I'd like to push for one of the controllable OFs they have a glut of as well. I think Mullins + Stowers for Chapman + Priester could have be the makings of a fair deal on both sides. Priester isn't starting any playoff games, but they probably have a fine enough trio in Burnes/Rodriguez/Eflin. Priester and Stowers seem about equal to me. If the Orioles were to insist on Holderman over Chapman, then I think I'd still gladly pull the trigger and just try to keep developing more bullpen arms -- we'll have Moreta back next year, and Burrows could be a real threat as a leverage arm.

Honestly, I'd say that at this point, Mullins is close to the top of my wish list -- with the exceptions of Robert (no chance in hell) and Rooker. I've finally become fed up enough with the offense that I just dgaf about Rooker being terrible in the field. We need offense or we won't get to the point of a defensive blunder hurting us. I do believe the reports that Oakland is content to basically stand pat, but I also think it could be a smokescreen. Oakland doesn't care about fan perception at all, and Rooker is a DH who likely won't be as good if we want to go on and say that Oakland could return to its former self and flirt with WC spots in two years.

Still, value-wise I would be uncomfortable with trading either Chandler or Johnson for Rooker. I think that would be a panicked overpay and you'd have to be certain that Rooker would become a lineup mainstay for his remaining years at basically the same level of play. If Oakland was willing to take Harrington and some others, maybe Peguero or Bae as a second or third pick, then I could be fine with it, though I would guess prospect hoarders don't even like giving up Harrington. Oakland has made that kind of quantity type deal in the past where they get 4 probable major leaguers for 1 guy, but the x-factor here is that the 1 guy in question is still super cheap.

In any case, I guess I've recreated what the crash stole from me and then some. Mullins would represent a somewhat hopeful stab at solving the major problem on the roster right now. Mostly, what I am dreaming about is a surprise trade to the Orioles for one of their top guys (if we pulled off Mayo for Bednar, I'd throw a parade), but I guess I'll conclude with saying that if Mullins is traded elsewhere, I will be disappointed. If he's ultimately not traded, I'll just assume the rumors around him were smoke without flame. But as it stands, even though he had a rough start to the year, he's the guy who could fix the biggest problem on the team, again only if he does so imperfectly.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Only thing I forgot to add is that if the Jays are trying to figure out a creative way to reshuffle slightly without trading Bichette and Guerrero, I think Varsho would be well worth trying to get, even to the point of trading a guy like Harrington as a headliner.

Varsho has probably got a lot more value than I/we might think due to being among the best defenders in the league. The bat is nothing special, but it's good enough to play, which is about all you can say for Mullins or anybody else unless you really think Mullins will find a huge extra gear again.

The Jays are a total enigma to me. In some ways I think they almost have no choice but to try and run it back with their group, but it's insanely hard to see any path for them with the Yankees and Orioles, and now also the Red Sox being good again and presumably in buy mode this winter. It's also not like the Rays are just going to become a bad team. Still, I don't even know what a total blowup would look like for them. They are not in a good spot, but maybe they could see Varsho as a luxury that they don't need and someone worth using to get cheap, controllable pitching.

Reactions: ehill613

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Varsho would be great to fill the CF role, but the cost to acquire and pending arbitration awards for 2025 and 2026 probably price him out of the Pirates range if I had to guess. You're probably looking at something like Davis, Ashcraft and Delgado for Varsho, which is a package I don't mind but I'd want a better hitter or a more cost-controlled guy than Varsho for that package.

I'd be significantly more inclined to trade that price for Varsho if it came with a corresponding Hayes for hitter trade, though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't mind that deal, Yorke is hitting really well in AAA right now (.898 OPS). I bet he's a guy that gets a look in place of Gonzales with Gonzales out.

Fangraphs has Yorke as a 45 FV prospect with this write-up:

Yorke was perhaps the biggest surprise of the 2020 draft’s first round. He was a known bat-first prospect from California, but time off recovering from a shoulder surgery and the pandemic made him tough to evaluate properly before the draft — tough enough that he was not generally seen as a first-round prospect. Yorke had a great 2021 pro debut, then his 2022 was impacted by myriad injuries (turf toe, back stiffness, wrist soreness). He rebounded in 2023 against Double-A pitching, began 2024 in Portland again, and has hit his way to Worcester. Never an especially good second base defender, Yorke has begun playing some left field this year, and as soon as he looks comfortable out there, he’ll be ready to play the part-time role that Romy Gonzalez and Rob Refsnyder are currently combining to play, though it’s notable that he has pretty dramatic reverse splits throughout his minor league career.

Yorke’s hitting hands are very sexy, and his righty cut looks great despite his relatively mediocre bat speed and athleticism. He lacks huge top-end power and swing loft, but he consistently hits the ball hard, with a 46% hard-hit rate at Portland and a 55% mark so far at Worcester. A rare righty low-ball hitter, he might be tested by big league velocity; Yorke’s tendency has been to inside out harder fastballs, which might be an indication he’ll be late on those. The hitting talent in Yorke’s hands is quite exciting, and while he’s flawed and will have to come off the field for defensive reasons late in games, he’s a well-rounded hitter whose game power might take a leap with an adjustment to his swing. Yorke has done nothing but hit his entire (healthy) career as a prospect and is a pretty good bet to be put on Boston’s 40-man this offseason.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad