OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Rooker is almost 30 and is viewed league wide as a DH there’s no reason Oakland doesn’t move him.
I take conforto and Regno or Yaz. Ship out MT Champen Perez some prospects take mullins on
Regnio 2nd
Cruz SS
Reynolds LF
Conforto/ Yaz RF
Bart C
Mullins CF
Tellez 1st
Cutch DH
Hayes 3rd

Reactions: ehill613

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
That is factually not what was said. They said they don't want to trade any of their top prospects like Chandler, Johnson or Ashcraft. Literally no one here expects them to do that.

Again, they'll add like 1 or 2 bats at the deadline. Everyone knows that has been their plan for weeks now.

Why does DK somehow have more credibility than literally every other MLB insider that has said what the Pirates plan is? DK is full of shit, he also just said that the Steelers are looking at trading for Tyreek Hill.
Because it matches how Cherington has acted since he got here. They have no urgency to win and are always planning for next year.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
This is what Cherington was hoping for. Do nothing and hope they fall flat so doing nothing can be spun as the right approach.
Any trade that is made was going to be with 25 in mind this is a bonus year. Could easily see jones and skenes shut down in September

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Any trade that is made was going to be with 25 in mind this is a bonus year. Could easily see jones and skenes shut down in September
And that is a terrible attitude. This team has the pitching to do something if they make the playoffs. Nothing in 2025 is guaranteed. And there is always the rather good chance that next year we hear the same thing about 2026. It would be absolutely consistent with what Cherington and the organization have shown since he got here. The future matters to them. The present does not. They put no priority on actually winning ML games right now. Shelton mostly manages the same way.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I know yesterday sucked, losing and all, but man......... that Cruz home run.

That was a majestic shot. The buzz in the crowd was crazy. Like they were in shock.

Reactions: DaveG

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah my attitude has done a total 180. We should be shopping Bednar aggressively. I think I said this yesterday, but I'm halfway willing to believe Mayo was on the table for him.

We should trade at least one of Chapman, Bednar, or Holderman. I'd be happy to pick up Yazstremski and Rengifo or something, but with no real solution in CF and no prayer at Robert, I kind of feel like it's pointless.

Baltimore is tricky because I don't know that Elias will be quite as aggressive as Preller or Dombrowski, but they need to find some solutions at reliever. I think at minimum you should be able to pull one of the corner OF MLB-ready guys for Chapman in this market.

Reactions: DaveG and td_ice

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Yeah my attitude has done a total 180. We should be shopping Bednar aggressively. I think I said this yesterday, but I'm halfway willing to believe Mayo was on the table for him.

We should trade at least one of Chapman, Bednar, or Holderman. I'd be happy to pick up Yazstremski and Rengifo or something, but with no real solution in CF and no prayer at Robert, I kind of feel like it's pointless.

Baltimore is tricky because I don't know that Elias will be quite as aggressive as Preller or Dombrowski, but they need to find some solutions at reliever. I think at minimum you should be able to pull one of the corner OF MLB-ready guys for Chapman in this market.
Would have been the most Pirates thing to do.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Feeling quite deflated still
m47032028007_1.jpg

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The Winker trade is really the biggest "f*** off Cherington" thing that has happened so far. He can and should be blamed for the presumed fact that Miami didn't choose a Davis-headlined package, but even setting that to one side, the Nationals traded Winker within their own division for a random 35+ FV pitcher. We have 1 billion of those prospects.

Last edited:

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
If they aren’t going to attempt to make serious upgrades they should absolutely shop the bullpen guys and anyone else that may be of interest. Half measures aren’t worth it and looking at this roster it’s simply not ready to compete for a playoff spot against the Braves, Mets, Padres and DBacks - envisioning a scenario where they finish ahead of two of those teams is really hard to do.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yeah pick a lane and be aggressive with it. Just limping into the home stretch of the season having neither fortified your team for a push, nor selling off unneeded/excess '25 season pieces on a non playoff team isn't a great plan.

Straddling the fence with a "do neither, buy nor sell" approach and watch the team meekly peter out to weak finish will be extremely frustrating.

Just ducking behind the cover of, "don't worry, Latrobe just opened up, soon they won't be paying attention to us anyway", isn't cool.

Ok, if the FO has determined, prices are too high and we aren't a playoff team anyway, well then take advantage of trade market value bump by doing a sell or two.

Definitely onboard with the DJ and others idea of moving a Chapman (for sure), or a Holderman or Bednar if the offer is good/great enough.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I would consider shopping Bednar if you can get MLB bats in return for him, but I'm absolutely not selling him for prospects just for the sake of selling him.

Relievers do have legitimate value, just look at the Puk trade from a few days ago and the Adams trade from a few hours ago. But if you're not pulling off something like a MLB ready OF/1B and a young MLB bullpen arm for him, I don't really see a reason to move him.

Reactions: DaveG

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I would consider shopping Bednar if you can get MLB bats in return for him, but I'm absolutely not selling him for prospects just for the sake of selling him.

Relievers do have legitimate value, just look at the Puk trade from a few days ago and the Adams trade from a few hours ago. But if you're not pulling off something like a MLB ready OF/1B and a young MLB bullpen arm for him, I don't really see a reason to move him.
Yeah, no doubt. Moving him for down the road futures isn't the way to go. As you mention, if it is guys that you can plug in for next year, then pull the trigger. Does he have that value? I have no idea. If he doesn't, then yeah, you keep him.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

metalan2

May 30, 2008
And that is a terrible attitude. This team has the pitching to do something if they make the playoffs. Nothing in 2025 is guaranteed. And there is always the rather good chance that next year we hear the same thing about 2026. It would be absolutely consistent with what Cherington and the organization have shown since he got here. The future matters to them. The present does not. They put no priority on actually winning ML games right now. Shelton mostly manages the same way.
There is not a rather good chance, there is a 100% chance we will hear the same thing about 2026.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
hmmmmm, Cubs buying?!?! Didn't see that coming.

EDIT: The Ben Cherington Show is due onTHE FAN at approx. 3:10pm today.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Give me the actually productive MLB player than the charismatic pile of potential in Morel. Great trade by the Cubs.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It does not look like the Cubs gave up much of anything at all. Maybe the Rays can fix Morel, but neither prospect seems like much of anything.

since70

Sep 27, 2016
It's tiring and aggravating to constantly get lip service from this organization about acquiring players, and then getting the we couldn't find a deal we liked BS, at this point they're like a broken record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad