OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

metalan2

May 30, 2008
My goodness why can't we just make routine fundamental fielding plays?

Connor Joe is the most awkward first baseman ever.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That was called a throwing error by IKF but that was some horrid 1B defense by Joe. I'm really over Joe at this point.

Watching the replay of it, I have genuinely no clue how that was called an error on IKF. The throw was a bit off, but it literally hit Joe in the glove. That should 100% be an error on Joe.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
chapman could have gotten us a haul I think. He’s been on lately and it’s awesome to watch when he’s at his best.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
IKF looks like he could have used an actual rehab stint and not whatever yesterday was, but I guess given the situation, there's kind of no reason not to let him get up to speed in MLB. It's not like Triolo is doing much.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Raise it!

raise it _fan drunk.gif

Reactions: BusinessGoose

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Beeks saved that game. Ugly win, but they all count the same. We got dealt some bad luck with the timing of the rain delay but gutted it out.

Now we're onto tomorrow, the next most important game of the year. A crucial thing about this rubber match is that not only would it give us the edge over the Dbacks and a good start to the homestand (tying the season series), but it would guarantee keeping pace with the Padres and Braves. Both of them lost games this weekend to bad opponents, and as of this moment, the Mets are also down 1-0 to the Angels.

Still too early for that kind of minutae, but every little bit helps. If only the Cubs didn't blow their game today.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
We're going to get a real good idea of where this team is at once the dust settles from the near back to back series vs SD (team we're chasing in the WC).

The good news is the early portion of September are games we should be winning. Just gotta hang in there until then.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
We're going to get a real good idea of where this team is at once the dust settles from the near back to back series vs SD (team we're chasing in the WC).

The good news is the early portion of September are games we should be winning. Just gotta hang in there until then.
Yeah, basically going 3-3 vs AZ and then 3-3 vs SDP won't give us much of a leg up to get into one of the WC spots, but being exactly where we are right now after that second SD series would still feel pretty decent.

Still have to win tomorrow to secure 3-3. There are worse situations than having Paul Skenes for that job.

Bart's emergence is becoming a huge story, though the one nitpick I have with him is that he doesn't seem to be a great framer. This is a bit weird to me because I always understood him to be a guy who had plus power and plus defense. One thing with Bart is that it's super common to see catchers break out like this when they hit their late 20s.

That's probably reason enough to just not give up on Davis for the time being, even if it's not simple to figure out how a three catcher rotation might work. If Cutch retires, one solution might be to carry all three with one as the DH, assuming Davis can earn a spot. He smacked another double tonight, as did Yorke and Cook.

I wonder if Bart will DH if Cutch is out.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Nice late rally from the Angels to upset the Mets. That shines a huge spotlight on tomorrow, as the stakes for the weekend are clawing 1 game up on the Dbacks while at minimum maintaining pace with the Mets, Braves, Padres, Cardinals, and Brewers, all of whom are playing non-playoff teams, though it's probably a little hasty to include the Cubs (who the Cards are playing) in that group.

Obviously, sweeps aren't easy, but all of Mets dropping to Angels, Padres dropping to Rockies, and Braves dropping to Marlins feels pretty nice. Still have to take care of business on our end, though.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Both of them have earned it anyways, and I'm not sure it matters in terms of the level of competition too much, but it's at least a bit interesting that Bubba and Harrington are now both in AAA.

They would have to be added to the 40-man roster in order pitch in the majors, but this playoff race really should be all hands on deck.

Without accounting for the possibility of guys like Mlod and Gonzales having worse injury situations and ending up on the 60-day IL, it looks like there are a few spots that could be up for grabs: Woodford (though he could be useful to have as a long man, it seems like he'll go when Jones is ready), Olivares (experiment didn't work, redundant w/BDLC, not doing much in Indy), Cheng (having a better AA season but writing seems on the wall with Gonzo's emergence, acquisitions of Yorke and Cook, and Peguero being above him), and perhaps Walker (depth with the Beeks acquisition, but if we liked him enough to trade for him, not sure we'd ditch him).

Regardless of those two, I expect to see at least Ashcraft and maybe Burrows in some capacity over the final six weeks of the season. We can't really afford to overlook anybody, but there's a nice long home stand in September where we face the Marlins and Nationals, so that could be a good place for a spot start for one of these guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00