Draft R4 #104: Rangers select RW Brody Lamb

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Raw kid with some tools, taken out of high school 100 picks into the draft. It was a lottery ticket. If he contributes in the NHL at all it will be a success. If he becomes a good organizational guy it will still be a success. If he can have a career like Steven Fogarty (not a stylistic comparison) you take it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He's already a longer shot simply because he wasn't a huge producer in junior or the NCAA at a younger age. And the later bloomers tend to be bottom 6 types who have more in their toolbox in terms of being defensively responsible and/or physical. He seems like an AHLer or AAAA type, but we'll see.

It's where Laba has an advantage over him. Bigger player, more physical and an all situations threat. FWIW the Rangers have a lot of very good prospect forwards but most of them (for me the exceptions are Perreault and maybe Othmann) fall into the bottom 6 forward category. Berard and Sykora are smaller buzzsaw types, Chmelar and BMB have more size but also very good two way games and then Rempe, Edstrom and Roobroeck are just massive players. Perreault and Laba unsigned still. I can see every single one of these guys with an NHL role some day which is a lot but there's no way if that happens that all of them are going to be plying their trade for the Rangers. It's just way too much and Lamb is outside all of them. He's still got to prove he belongs but still I think he's done pretty well.

For next year Rempe seems a sure bet....Edstrom, Othmann and Berard pushing but there's no way we're going to have 4 rookie forwards in the lineup or at least not without a lot of injuries.

On Laba he carried Colorado College on his back last year. Far and away their most important forward. Clutch player with lots of game winners--something like 5 in OT, several shorties too. Whenever his team really needed a big goal he was the guy who would get it or set it up. Lamb had some moments too but he was more of a passenger but on a somewhat more talented team. He didn't have to be the guy......there were other guys like Snuggerud and Brodzinski. He will need to take over and be more a guy they look to and less of a passenger though one that produced well enough.

Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
There's a lot of skill to his game, but it's not consistent enough to make me think he's a full time NHLer down the road. Had solid growth in production and overall contributions from his freshman to sophomore season, so we'll see how he does this year for the Gophers.

Well....Minnesota U is year in and year out a top notch Div. 1 college team. Not too many forwards are going to walk into top 6 ice time right off the bat. For me he's behind Laba (who's turned into a legit college star) but he's shown he's a pretty good player. IMO he's lived up to expectations. He should see a lot of top 6 ice time this year and if he takes a significant step he sets himself up for a contract either after his junior or senior year. I don't think there's a rush on him in any case or at least not yet.

He's already a longer shot simply because he wasn't a huge producer in junior or the NCAA at a younger age. And the later bloomers tend to be bottom 6 types who have more in their toolbox in terms of being defensively responsible and/or physical. He seems like an AHLer or AAAA type, but we'll see.
for a guy who's not a blue chip prospect,
at a deep , big-name. always-contending program like Gophers
it's hard to ask for more than Lamb has done to-date

as a soph, among the F's, he ranked 6th in Points, 5th in assists

agree he is not a slam-dunk,
but you want your guys to perform in the situation that they are in,
and he is

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Raw kid with some tools, taken out of high school 100 picks into the draft. It was a lottery ticket. If he contributes in the NHL at all it will be a success. If he becomes a good organizational guy it will still be a success. If he can have a career like Steven Fogarty (not a stylistic comparison) you take it.

I was disappointed in Fogarty considering he was a 3rd round pick. I always thought he would have a Betts type of NHL career. Not much offensive but great on faceoffs and good defensive skill and great on the PK. Lamb has boom or bust potential in my opinion. Would he make it as a 3rd liner down the road? Does Lamb play with any grit, physical play, tenacious style and can forcheck? Good on deflections? Does he go towards the net to score?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Lamb's issue has been ice time, not talent. I am expecting to see him at or above a ppg this season
He started off the year getting 5 on 5 time with Moore and Snuggerud but was demoted 6 games into the season, give or take.

Of the players who outscored Lamb last year, Brodzinski and Nelson will not be returning. That leaves Snuggerud, Moore and Pitlick for the top 6. Minnesota's recruiting class doesn't seem all that strong, so Lamb should see significant top 6 playing time, though how much he gets with Snugs, Moore and Pitlick remains to be seen.

Reactions: NYR Viper

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Lamb's issue has been ice time, not talent. I am expecting to see him at or above a ppg this season

For most Minnesota kids the Gophers more than any other team are the Yankees of college hockey programs. They always have a talented team and underclassmen are going to have to fight for their ice time. Not at all surprised he didn't produce much in his freshman year. That production picked up significantly in his sophomore year. Where he goes from here remains to be seen but I think that last year proved Lamb's a pretty good college player. IMO he needs to take more steps in his progression and that's not something that always happens automatically. College coaches of more high profile teams always are playing to win and the better Lamb plays the more that will reflect in his ice time.

He started off the year getting 5 on 5 time with Moore and Snuggerud but was demoted 6 games into the season, give or take.

Of the players who outscored Lamb last year, Brodzinski and Nelson will not be returning. That leaves Snuggerud, Moore and Pitlick for the top 6. Minnesota's recruiting class doesn't seem all that strong, so Lamb should see significant top 6 playing time, though how much he gets with Snugs, Moore and Pitlick remains to be seen.

They have Brodie Ziemer coming in an early 3rd by Buffalo. Also Javon Moore an Ottawa 4th rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad