World Cup: R16: Croatia vs. Denmark, 7/1/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I don't really know what you're talking about, to be honest.
Croatian 98 team - patriots, players that really played with their hearts for Croatia. This generation - chokers, plus their patriotism is really questionable. For exmple, did you see pictures from Kovacic's weding ? Not single Croatian flag, but plenty of turbo folk serbian songs. Disgusting.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Is Modric not a CAM in Croatia? I know he is not in Madrid... I just thought he would be more offensive with Rakitic taken care of the CM part?

Nah, they play Modric and Rakitic as CMs and Brozovic there as well.
It's more of a 3 CMs than anything else, with Modric and Rakitic right and left and Brozovic more central and bit more defensive.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah. Delaney is a lot better than people seem to think on this board. He is not sexy, but he is a very very useful CM. Perfect player to support players like Eriksen. Again - it is about the team. Not that he is even remotely comparable to Makelele, but it reminds me a bit about the reputation he had for a long time - you need some soldiers.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Croatian 98 team - patriots, players that really played with their hearts for Croatia. This generation - chokers, plus their patriotism is really questionable. For exmple, did you see pictures from Kovacic's weding ? Not single Croatian flag, but plenty of turbo folk serbian songs. Disgusting.
Well Raki was patriotic enough to say f*** you to the country that invested in his football education, and play for Croatia.

That's patriotism 101.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Well Raki was patriotic enough to say **** you to the country that invested in his football education, and play for Croatia.

That's patriotism 101.

Ok, we have diffirent views on patriotism. One of the reasons he chose Croatia is with Croatian NT he gets bigger exposure than with Swiss (SWiss is good, but Croatia is safer bet to qualify for Euro/WM).

I can't indentify myself with players who's idols are serbian folk musicians. Sorry...

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Ok, we have diffirent views on patriotism. One of the reasons he chose Croatia is with Croatian NT he gets bigger exposure than with Swiss (SWiss is good, but Croatia is safer bet to qualify for Euro/WM).

I can't indentify myself with players who's idols are serbian folk musicians. Sorry...
I listen to Jay Z now and again, but he sure aint my idol.

Holy shit, is that what people think? I really need to start thinking about what music I listen to.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Nah, they play Modric and Rakitic as CMs and Brozovic there as well.
It's more of a 3 CMs than anything else, with Modric and Rakitic right and left and Brozovic more central and bit more defensive.
Okay thanks :) I actually thought Modric was used in the offensive role ACM on the nationale team therefore my earlyer statement that Eriksen was better then him in that role..

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Modrić, Iniesta, Silva, Coutinho, De Bruyne, Kroos, Busquets, Isco, Thiago, Matić, SMS, Rakitić ...

The point is that he is in a group of great midfielders, but he is nowhere close to being considered the best at his position, which is how Modrić is regarded at the moment. He can get there one day, but right now he is not there.

You can't compare Modric with half of that list.. Different roles. I definitely think he is one of the best DCM/CM's in the world but 50% of that list is offensive minded players.

I'm likely as biased as you are but Eriksen is as good as anyone on that list and better than quite a few of them imo. The only player with better stats (on your list) last season was De Bruyne.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuietContrarian

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
You can't compare Modric with half of that list.. Different roles. I definitely think he is one of the best DCM/CM's in the world but 50% of that list is offensive minded players.

I'm likely as biased as you are but Eriksen is as good as anyone on that list and better than quite a few of them imo. The only player with better stats (on your list) last season was De Bruyne and he still created less chances than Eriksen...

Modric doesn't play DCM. He plays CM on the right side at Real and that's where he got the widespread recognition as THE best midfielder of the last 5 years (coincided with Xavi leaving and Iniesta slow decline).

KDB plays as CM at City. Same as Modric and Kroos. And Iniesta and Thiago. And SMS.
Busquets and Matic play DM.
Silva plays CM/AM.
Eriksen plays AM. Only one from that list who plays more AM than CM (like Eriksen) is Coutinho.

I think Eriksen a wonderful player and I would take very few AMs over him (Isco for one, Coutinho), but I think saying he's as good as Modric and Kroos, for example, is a bit much.
Different positions, but no, I don't think Eriksen brings as much to his team as Modric or Kroos. Very few players do.
I know it's popular to dump on Kroos now with Germany out, but the guy won 4 CLs and a WC for a reason.

And again, other than Coutinho noone from that list spends nearly as much time at AM as Eriksen.
So comparing chances created, assists, goals, whatever... Doesn't really paint the whole picture.

Again, disclaimer, I think Eriksen is fantastic. But comparing him to people who are coming off 3 straight CL wins isn't gonna look great.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Modric doesn't play DCM. He plays CM on the right side at Real and that's where he got the widespread recognition as THE best midfielder of the last 5 years (coincided with Xavi leaving and Iniesta slow decline).

KDB plays as CM at City. Same as Modric and Kroos. And Iniesta and Thiago. And SMS.
Silva plays CM/AM.
Eriksen plays AM. Only one from that list who plays more AM than CM (like Eriksen) is Coutinho.

I think Eriksen a wonderful player and I would take very few AMs over him (Isco for one, Coutinho), but I think saying he's as good as Modric and Kroos, for example, is a bit much.
Different positions, but no, I don't think Eriksen brings as much to his team as Modric or Kroos. Very few players do.
I know it's popular to dump on Kroos now with Germany out, but the guy won 4 CLs and a WC for a reason.

And again, other than Coutinho noone from that list spends nearly as much time at AM as Eriksen.
So comparing chances created, assists, goals, whatever... Doesn't really paint the whole picture.

Again, disclaimer, I think Eriksen is fantastic. But comparing him to people who are coming off 3 straight CL wins isn't gonna look great.
Eriksen definitely brings as much to his team.

You can say they are better, sure, but that argument is not a good one imo.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017

Silva plays CM/AM.

I would not take Isco over Eriksen on the AM too inconsistent.. I agree with taking Coutinho..who would I rather have between the other teams defence and midtfield: Eriksen!!... who would I rather have dictate the game on the CM 100 % Modric.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Such a random set of arguments. Kroos is better because he won a WC years ago? I used to love Kroos, but there is absolutely no way he is currently better than Eriksen.

And how did Matic make that list? If we were talking about Schöne I could have understood, but Eriksen might actually be a better DM then Matic if he was asked to play as one (and that is not because Matic is bad, but he is not close to the rest on that list - SMS maybe - who I feel is there based more on potential than actual quality as of today).

There won´t be much of an agreement here. Looking forward to the match. Eriksen has been brilliant in tough games for Spurs the last year or two. Will be interesting to see if he can step up in the WC as well. He definitely has to if Denmark is to stand a chance.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

Silva plays CM/AM.

Those are fair distinctions but like chances created, assists ect. they don't paint the whole picture imo. What I was trying to hint at is the players on that list have different strengths. Modric and Kroos are imo the only players on that list that is equally good at defending and attacking. That's why I wouldn't compare Modric with Eriksen.
KDB, Silva, Coutinho and Iniesta are much better comparisons I think and almost all metrics point to only KDB being better than Eriksen in that group.

3 straight CL wins and a world cup win is impressive but irrelevant imo. One player doesn't win a title and they have the best supporting cast in the world. I actually think the Spurs would be in more trouble if they lost Eriksen than Madrid would be if they lost one of Modric or Kroos. So while I 100% agree that they are world class midfielders I think you have to look at it in context of the team they play for. I'm not trying to diminish Modric and Kroos, I just think it's pointless to compare them with Eriksen because of the type of game they play.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I'll take Eriksen over Rakitic, but Modric is another tier over the rest of the midfielders atm.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Such a random set of arguments. Kroos is better because he won a WC years ago? I used to love Kroos, but there is absolutely no way he is currently better than Eriksen.

Without even going into comparisons with anyone, Kroos is "good" because he's part of a midfield pairing that makes Real Madrid tick, the team that just won 3 straight CLs, something no team has done in 50 years.

Kroos is better than ever (though was being asked to basically "solo" in Germany's midfield).
Just that his football isn't flashy or appealing to casual fans, you won't hear a lot of people talking about him in pubs.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
My problem with Eriksen and Denmark in this tournament is that as good as he can be..you wouldn't really be able to tell from how they play. Like when either Laudrup played for Denmark, the team played in a way that allowed him to shine with his skill set...but now he's just one guy in a team playing like a World Cup game is a midweek league fixture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad