Draft R1 #30: Rangers select EJ Emery (RHD, USNTDP/USHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Does he have any chance of making the WJC team? I see he was one of 18 defensemen invited to camp this summer.

Not a guarantee, but very likely to imo

McDonagh didn't show much offense in college or in his limited time in the AHL, yet he has 389 points in 928 NHL games.

There's no reason to believe that Emery can't improve offensively. I doubt that will ever be a strength of his game, but it doesn't have to be a weakness either.

I'll believe it when i see it, but imo the NYR brass has to feel similarly to you. Need to see him away from Hutson and the other PMDs on the NTDP to know though

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
McDonagh didn't show much offense in college or in his limited time in the AHL, yet he has 389 points in 928 NHL games.

There's no reason to believe that Emery can't improve offensively. I doubt that will ever be a strength of his game, but it doesn't have to be a weakness either.

When he's been asked to produce he has (see his absolutely outstanding U18 performance when he was asked to do a bit more).

Its a matter of learning it, frankly. He has a pretty deceptively nice shot when he uses it.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
ekholm is a dude who’s had multiple 35+ point seasons def dont see emery as that kind of dude. maybe more like a modern luke schenn
Before he was drafted, Ekholm was not a scorer. Just a really steady defenseman. He developed. Hopefully Emery does the same. Ekholm didn't have a 30 point season until 5 years after he was drafted. I'll admit though that it's probably recency bias as obviously we just watched the Finals and he was in it.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
One of my favourite players in this draft class.

It's only for subscribers, but in case any of you are, here's my report on Emery (tons of video and grades).

EJ EMERY

This X thread has some snippets of that report.

I find it weird how many people are glossing over just how many leaps he took this year as a player. I guess I can see people questioning the pick if they were looking at him two years ago or whatever, but he's skyrocketed this year for a reason.

He was already trending up as he got more comfortable with his stick and closing lanes. We (well, those of us who watched him play) all saw how unmovable he was at times with his lower body strength. Then he just ripped the combine a new one and solidified his late first / early second rating.

It's not like the team took him in the top 10 or something. Though I could have easily seen Emery go around 15 if a team liked him that much.

Does he have any chance of making the WJC team? I see he was one of 18 defensemen invited to camp this summer. I feel like they already have a good defensive dman on the team with Fort though.
I would be surprised if he didn't make it but could always see that being the case since he is still a raw player.

Last edited:

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
if they did that and the player busted, you'd be first in line to criticize the team.

If a player we pick at 30 has that high of a ceiling, it means he has a high chance of not reaching that ceiling, otherwise he would have been picked in the top 10.

Emery isn't a sexy pick, but he's the kind of player we need.
nah, I don’t believe in drafting for floor. This team does it every time and its cheeks. The players with the higher ceiling have the higher floor. But I don’t think this pick is bad, he has tools to be good at entry denials/exits. I just thought there were better picks there

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I think the hockey IQ and makes a good first pass statements have been objected to by quite a few people who do scouting. That’s the issue. If those two things were higher end skills he wouldn’t have made it to 30.
This reminds me of some scouts saying Gabe Perrault had skating problems which is why he was available to us in the 20’s. Gabe is a fine skater. And is top 5 in a redraft.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I went through the 3 shift by shift vids I could find and then a condensed game against U of Minnesota. Here's my take -

Don't agree that the first pass is a problem. He gets the puck to where it needs to go and Im glad that the first instinct here isn't "glass and out." It's not flashy and he isn't going to stretch the ice with any regularity, but with a player like this you're not necessarily looking for him to do so.

I DO however, see some of the concerns about how this is going to play out at the NHL level. he doesn't really have the tight space maneuverability to slip through a few bodies and buy himself time to make an easy pass up to a forward to get things going when in the thick of it. When he has time and space to make a play or he has enough room to gather up some steam and skate it out himself, he's fine. It hasn't really been a problem... yet but he's gotten by on doing things that he won't be able to get away with against better competition. So on that end, he's probably going to need to play with someone who is going to do the brunt of the work getting the puck up ice but he isn't completely inept.

Defends the rush beautifully though. I only saw him get beat inside once (it was against Minnesota, he almost killed his own goalie in the process) so he's otherwise pretty excellent at keeping everything outside. No issues rubbing guys out and that will only continue to become a strength as he grows. The size, reach wheels and willingness to take the body already give him a strong base strictly from a defensive standpoint.

Someone dropped a Faber comp and I don't agree with that (Faber has always reminded me of McDonagh) but he isn't some useless schlep or a wasted pick either.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Good pick at 30. Emery has a high floor, looks like he’ll play based on his defensive game alone (skating, instincts, athleticism). But the ceiling is also there, if this kid puts it together especially with puck retrieval and the ability to make a breakout pass with his skating he’s got easy top 4 potential. He should cook at UND for at 3 yrs and who knows where his game could be then. But I bet we’ll be pretty happy with it.

Reactions: egelband

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
It's a mixed bag. I've seen him play a bit (u18) then reading about a dozen different scout/pundit summaries it's about 50/50 on the IQ/first pass. His defensive awareness is excellent (positioning, stick work etc, angles)

He is an excellent skater and extremely athletic. He has to fill out some. If he was a very good first passer he would have went much earlier

I suppose that’s kind of the rub, right? Something we all know but need to remind ourselves of sometimes.

Betting on a kid w tremendous athletic gifts including lateral mobility plus a sound head for the defensive game makes sense. Let him marinate in college for a few years and we’ll see what develops.

Reactions: UAGoalieGuy

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I suppose that’s kind of the rub, right? Something we all know but need to remind ourselves of sometimes.

Betting on a kid w tremendous athletic gifts including lateral mobility plus a sound head for the defensive game makes sense. Let him marinate in college for a few years and we’ll see what develops.

He has the toolbox and some important tools to be a top 4 dman. Going to North Dakota is going to help him develop some more of those tools.

Give the kid at least 2 years in college and then some time in the AHL, at s minimum.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Not for nothing but Emery sounds like he will be a perfect compliment to Miller. I know we have Schneider. But Emery's hockey IQ and defensive fundamentals would be a perfect fit on Miller's right side. Those 2 areas are where Miller is lacking

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Rangers now have Mancini and Emery as RHD depth with Fortescue as an LDH.

That's fine. Remember D always take longer to develop. And there's a huge gap between when Mancini's timeline and the other two.

Let him go to North Dakota and in three years he'll have man strength and hopefully develop all areas of his game.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
No safe bets at 30. Just take the highest potential
Crazy thought: The Rangers evaluate talent different than a message board and see different potentials.

Also, they actually watch the players play and interact with them directly. Wild that they might know more than Joe Shmoe on the internet looking at scouting reports and going nuts that he said he likes K'Andre Miller.

Reactions: Kendo

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1