Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I thought Luc was like 25 years old but he just said he has been watching hockey for 25 years. Luc, I hope you are not counting the first 10 years or so of your life :)

In any event, thanks for the report Luc!

Reactions: Canucks LB

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Is his team likely Frozen 4 bound?

McGuire on tanking for Jack Hughes "He's not McKinnon, he's not McDavid, he's not Matthews, I think it's a reach to call him a generational player, a big reach." McGuire goes on to add he is a good player and will make a difference, but he's not a generational talent.

Co-host Mitch Gallo threw Hischier's name out there as a comparable, McGuire agreed, Jack Hughes is that level of a star.
Based on my limited viewings... this seems accurate.
He's never blown me away with any extraordinary highlight reel stuff.
Does he have a highlight video circulating yet?

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Luc seems like a nice guy but he’s the king of hyperbole

Let him have his fun. It was an entertaining summary. Hopefully Quinn can be as much of a difference maker as these reports have for him.

...and hyperbole or not, Hughes looks good. He is looking like an excellent pick. Best D prospect I've seen for the Canucks in ages. That's worth getting excited about.
:thumbu:

Reactions: Brock Olli Juolevi

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
1st over
Best player on the ice-Quinn hughes
Best defender- samulsson(?)

I know i am a canucks fan, so that by default makes me bias.

But if you see Quinn is doing every single shift live, It would be as excited as me.

Crowd is about 70% full, They are buzzing every time quinn is on the ice.

I counted at least four times were he absolutely blew by people.

You have to see the skating live to really believe it.

I have seen a ton of quinn play, but never live until today.

Thanks for the reports Luc! Very much appreciated.

One question: was Quinn playing the left side or right side last night? I ask because team USA just released their opening lineup and it says Quinn will be playing on the right side.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The thing with Jack and Quinn is Jack will have to get to the net a lot more to be super effective as a C and that could be more of an issue than Quinn defending down low.

Both are super exciting prospects.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I am still giddy about Hughes two days later.
If Hughes went first overall, people would be calling him a potential generational talent.
I am not joking
I honestly truly think he is THAT good.
I will look back at this post in 7-10 years and see how close I was.
haven't had this buzz when I saw a person live than when I saw Mcdavid Live.
Now if only he learned how to play defence property, because he’s going to have a lot of turnovers, if he can fix that and not try to do too much he’s going to be just a treat

I will lead the Hughes hype machine. Lets go

Last edited:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
If Hughes went first overall, people would be calling him a potential generational talent.
I am not joking or over typing him.

regardless of this being hyperbolic, it's just great to see players in the Canucks system creating this type of excitement to fans. It's going to a great time to finally watch some exciting Canuck hockey with Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes leading the way.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017

I am super stoked about Hughes as well, but a 5’10”(not even) defender would never go 1st overall. He also plays a high risk high reward offensive game, so he delivers a lot of pizzas too.

We still need to draft a two-way defensman with some size to fill out our back end for the futures. Hutton is showing he has game, and Stecher could possible round out the top 4.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014

At the time of the draft I posted saying that we better not pass on him unless we want to be in the business of passing on Hall of Famers. They say there's two in every draft. His game is far from flawless, but there's no one in the NHL (maybe its history) who can do the things he can do on his skates. And he shows up to play.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
WJC is not a good evaluator for Hughes at the NHL level. His problem isn't playing vs people in his age bracket or younger. People at that age don't even know how to properly defend. He has the green light on so many occasions. Offensive dmen dominate WJC . Until he plays at the NHL level we won't know what #D man he will be.

Reactions: clay

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
WJC is not a good evaluator for Hughes at the NHL level. His problem isn't playing vs people in his age bracket or younger. People at that age don't even know how to properly defend. He has the green light on so many occasions. Offensive dmen dominate WJC . Until he plays at the NHL level we won't know what #D man he will be.
This could be....but the kid was selected to play on the U.S. team in last spring in the World Hockey Championships as a 17 year old. And the top teams in that tournament are as good or better than 80 percent of the teams in the NHL. So I think he'll be fine. My guess is Green will give him the green light to rush up the ice and do the same things he's doing in college and at the WJC.

member 290103

I am super stoked about Hughes as well, but a 5’10”(not even) defender would never go 1st overall. He also plays a high risk high reward offensive game, so he delivers a lot of pizzas too.

We still need to draft a two-way defensman with some size to fill out our back end for the futures. Hutton is showing he has game, and Stecher could possible round out the top 4.

It’s pretty clear the way Green deploys Stecher that he is no fan. I suspect they move him next year under the guise of not being able to have two short dmen in the lineup.

Don’t agree, but I think Stechers days are numbered here.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

Green never been a big fan of Stecher since day 1. Last season he started on 3rd pairing playing 12 to 14 mins a game. By the end of that season with Tanev and Gudbranson out, Stecher was playing on the top pairing with Edler and looked solid. I thought this season Green will use Stecher more. I was thinking Stecher can continue to play Edler and Tanev with Hutton so Canucks can have 2 solid D pairings. But nope, Stecher back on the 3rd pairing. Stecher is 7th in ice time and hardly ever play on any special teams. Stecher is clearly behind Tanev and Gudbrandon .

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
You can be rude or disrespectful all you want.

I think highly of EP40 and hughes.

Its my opinion, just focus on improving your respectful social skills, will go a long way.

Merry christmas
Oh please. That wasn't rude or disrespectful.

You're literally prone to making posts like this every once in a while where a small sample size leads you to proclaim a future possibility as a FACT.

Literally everyone on this board loves Hughes and Pettersson. Some people take things to an extreme level, and you did that here.

Literally, it was a warm up game in a WJC. Performances here are so awful to judge players on.

Reactions: dim jim

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Can't wait for the real gms to start..

I wanna be just as hyped about him as Luc.

You're literally prone to making posts like this every once in a while where a small sample size leads you to proclaim a future possibility as a FACT.

Literally everyone on this board loves Hughes and Pettersson. Some people take things to an extreme level, and you did that here.

Literally, it was a warm up game in a WJC. Performances here are so awful to judge players on.
2/3.. not bad.
Kardashian level quantity.. very good.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England

Not everyone.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Thanks for the first hand report!
While I’m not on the generational train, all reports I heard were that people were impressed pretty much every time he touched the puck. He’s going to be a real crowd favourite in Vancouver. His skating is apparently just unbelievable.
Canuck games will be so much more exciting next year with Quinn and Elias performing their magic.

Reactions: The ultimate fan

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Thanks for the first hand report!
While I’m not on the generational train, all reports I heard were that people were impressed pretty much every time he touched the puck. He’s going to be a real crowd favourite in Vancouver. His skating is apparently just unbelievable.
Canuck games will be so much more exciting next year with Quinn and Elias performing their magic.
He really is remarkable to watch, incredible talent.
I can't wait for the canucks fans to see him live

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I wouldn’t get too excited about Hughes’ play at the World Juniors. What I would like to see is him play very good defense against the top teams. While it will be exciting to watch him light up the bad teams offensively with his skating and passing, it won’t be much of an indicator of future success IMO. Everyone expects this.

Like I said before, I think people are overrating Hughes’ floor on this forum. People tend to get over excited about flashy prospects and are willing to overlook their flaws. While I am not making this comparison to suggest Hughes will bust, take a look back at what was the Rob Schremp hype train.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
I wouldn’t get too excited about Hughes’ play at the World Juniors. What I would like to see is him play very good defense against the top teams. While it will be exciting to watch him light up the bad teams offensively with his skating and passing, it won’t be much of an indicator of future success IMO. Everyone expects this.

Like I said before, I think people are overrating Hughes’ floor on this forum. People tend to get over excited about flashy prospects and are willing to overlook their flaws. While I am not making this comparison to suggest Hughes will bust, take a look back at what was the Rob Schremp hype train.
I think the problem most players have is that they will either thrive or fail in the structure that NHL level brings. Yes it is coached so well now in most levels, yet they either succeed or fail. Very few in betweens.

I am of the opinion Q. Hughes will thrive in the NHL because he can skate. Being able to move the puck from the backend has made players like Gudbranson the last of his kind. Just my thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad