Euro: Quarterfinals: Germany - Spain (July 5th)

Who Advances

• Germany

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Spain

Votes: 14 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
“They will never score a goal.”

*Germany scores. Your credibility rapidly flying out the window in the process.*

“Well, ok, but pay attention to all this other crap I’m saying.”

They played the best team in the tournament to date and lost in extra time.

That’s the narrative.

The minor details here that you’re focusing on….I just don’t get it. Yes I was wrong about them not scoring and the game ended much closer than I thought….but what are we really talking about here?

The bottom line is they lost, again, and continue the trend we’ve seen in recent major tournaments of going out early. They still don’t have much in terms of young elite talent to build around, still too much reliance on older slower has beens, a clueless coach, etc. All of this is much more important big picture than “oh but you said they would lose by this amount and they ended up only losing by so and so whatever”. No room for moral victories here either, coming close doesn’t cut it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
“They will never score a goal.”

*Germany scores. Your credibility rapidly flying out the window in the process.*

“Well, ok, but pay attention to all this other crap I’m saying.”

They played the best team in the tournament to date and lost in extra time.

That’s the narrative.

Please, you say this as though two German kids were just some of the brightest stars of this tournament or German clubs just had a lot of success in Europe.

We’re doomed! Doomed!!!

At least until our next match.

Reactions: NyQuil and Oilhawks

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
What’s changed??

I’ve said all along Germany would lose and they did. And I’ve been saying all along that Germany as a whole are in the midst of a downward trajectory and have a bleak future outlook…and that also still stands.

Idk what happened to their foundation after that 2014 World Cup but they just seem to keep on losing ground and show very little in terms of young star power when you compare to the other top nations. This has been my “narrative”, so again what do I keep changing??? The only thing I was admittedly wrong on was that they made this final result closer than I thought and I already said that in my last post.
The fact that they played good football and have up and coming stars?

Reactions: NyQuil and cgf

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The minor details here that you’re focusing on….I just don’t get it. Yes I was wrong about them not scoring and the game ended much closer than I thought….but what are we really talking about here?

The bottom line is they lost, again, and continue the trend we’ve seen in recent major tournaments of going out early. They still don’t have much in terms of young elite talent to build around, still too much reliance on older slower has beens, a clueless coach, etc. All of this is much more important big picture than “oh but you said they would lose by this amount and they ended up only losing by so and so whatever”. No room for moral victories here either, coming close doesn’t cut it.

England hasn’t won a major tournament since 1966 but you seem to be giving them all kinds of slack for some reason.

They must be the all-time champions for moral victories.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Germany hosts the 2006 World Cup - eliminated due to a goal against in the 119 minute.
Germany hosts the 2024 Euro's - eliminated due to a goal against in the 119 minute.

And when they hosted Euro 1988, they were eliminated by a 88th minute goal by Van Basten goal, so that was a late twist too.

Can't believe Nagelsmann used Muller as a sub lmao overrated club coach.

Would have been nice to have Brandt in the squad to throw in at that stage.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I think betting companies still had Germany as favourites.
Was pretty much even. Germany did enjoy something of a home field advantage making Spanish effort a little better than it would appear. As always, close knockout matches are won by someone providing a moment or two of magic. Spain has quite a bit of that and it could get them to a title.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And when they hosted Euro 1988, they were eliminated by a 88th minute goal by Van Basten goal, so that was a late twist too.

Would have been nice to have Brandt in the squad to throw in at that stage.

Eh. JN had Führich. But I think he wanted to give the old timer a chance in what could have been his last competitive NT match in front of the home fans.

And it’s not Müller’s fault that Havertz & Füllkrug both came agonizingly close on some quality chances.

Nagelsmann’s starting 11 was a mistake but I thought he nailed all of the other subs & Müller over Führich was understandable.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Probably because of home cooking, but poll here is decidedly to Spain.

I voted for Spain before the match.

They simply looked like the best team up until this point.

Eh. JN had Führich. But I think he wanted to give the old timer a chance in what could have been his last competitive NT match in front of the home fans.

And it’s not Müller’s fault that Havertz & Füllkrug both came agonizingly close on some quality chances.

Nagelsmann’s starting 11 was a mistake but I thought he nailed all of the other subs & Müller over Führich was understandable.

He’s playing 4D chess by sitting his best players and then subbing them in to make himself look good. ;)

Reactions: maclean

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I have zero faith in Nagelsmann after this game. Already had limited faith beforehand to be honest, but Can and Sane in the starting eleven is brutal. Also, just in general if we're honest the team looks basically like it did under Flick and Jogi's later years aside from some better luck in key games. Let's not forget, it wouldn't have taken a lot of balls bouncing differently to go out to a middling Denmark side.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know we have no talent and got dominated but it’s hard not to be excited.

I voted for Spain before the match.

They simply looked like the best team up until this point.

He’s playing 4D chess by sitting his best players and then subbing them in to make himself look good. ;)

There’s politics at play too.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
That was a bit of a weird (but entertaining) game. Wasn't a fan of the reffing, Kroos should've/could've been out of the game like 30 minutes in, but seemed to get away with anything, while Taylor kept handing out yellows like candy to everybody else.

I guess it was a tough game to ref the way Germany was playing, it almost looked like part of their game plan was to try to push the boundary by fouling so much it's tough for a ref to keep the line. There were a couple times that certainly looked like very clear fouls by Germany where every Spanish guy practically stopped playing expecting the obvious whistle which never came, leading to dangerous conters. Would've been interesting to see replays of those though to determine if they really were clear fouls or if it was actually good job by Taylor not getting baited for a call.

Which brings me to Spain, who were incredibly sloppy at times doing things like stopping playing before whistle, or weren't ready to play after a stop, just weird mistakes from a team at that level, made the game more difficult for themselves than it maybe should've been. Horrible end also by them, and again failed to play until the ending whistle, just waiting for it and it almost cost them. But running the clock over 2 minutes beyond the announced extra time was also bit questionable reffing, though maybe that 3 min extra time was counted before the 2-1 goal and ensuing long celebrations. In any case that's no excuse for Spain, need to play until the end.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Was pretty much even. Germany did enjoy something of a home field advantage making Spanish effort a little better than it would appear. As always, close knockout matches are won by someone providing a moment or two of magic. Spain has quite a bit of that and it could get them to a title.

That winning goal was an incredible feat of athleticism, my mouth was agape at the slow motion replays

That was a bit of a weird (but entertaining) game. Wasn't a fan of the reffing, Kroos should've/could've been out of the game like 30 minutes in, but seemed to get away with anything, while Taylor kept handing out yellows like candy to everybody else.

I guess it was a tough game to ref the way Germany was playing, it almost looked like part of their game plan was to try to push the boundary by fouling so much it's tough for a ref to keep the line. There were a couple times that certainly looked like very clear fouls by Germany where every Spanish guy practically stopped playing expecting the obvious whistle which never came, leading to dangerous conters. Would've been interesting to see replays of those though to determine if they really were clear fouls or if it was actually good job by Taylor not getting baited for a call.

Which brings me to Spain, who were incredibly sloppy at times doing things like stopping playing before whistle, or weren't ready to play after a stop, just weird mistakes from a team at that level, made the game more difficult for themselves than it maybe should've been. Horrible end also by them, and again failed to play until the ending whistle, just waiting for it and it almost cost them. But running the clock over 2 minutes beyond the announced extra time was also bit questionable reffing, though maybe that 3 min extra time was counted before the 2-1 goal and ensuing long celebrations. In any case that's no excuse for Spain, need to play until the end.

OT: How do you have more likes than posts

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Kroos did one last favour for RM by wrecking Pedri's leg. With all the long term injuries at Barcelona's midfield and no money to purchase replacements, next season's La Liga title is a formality for RM.

Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad