Euro: Quarterfinals: Germany - Spain (July 5th)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Advances

• Germany

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Spain

Votes: 14 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Do you have a Spanish passport?

Their keeper is better, their defence is better, their midfield is better and their attack is better. Good luck

You’re not that wrong…they do have the better LB and 6…

If we’re being serious these teams are way too similar. Neither defense is going to challenge the French, both can be wasteful in front of goal…but both have worldclass midfielders & creatives, lead by arguable 4 of the 5 best young talents at this tourney.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yamal, Williams, Musiala, and Wirtz could go either way depending on the day…and both teams have game breaking talents behind those young superstars. Ilkay - Kroos - Andrich vs Pedri - Ruiz - Rodri is a toss up depending on the day as well. Cucurella/Grimaldi > Mittelstadt/Raum, but Kimmich > Carvajal.

Rudi is arguably the most proven CB on either squad and at his peak, Schlotterbeck can be the best…but we have yet to see peak Nico for the NT, despite the positive step in that direction against the Danes…and I see Tah struggling with those young Spanish wingers if he starts.

I’d take Havertz/Füllkrug over Morata, but it’s not like we have Gerd up front so that’s not a huge advantage even if it is one. And I won’t argue for Neuer being an advantage any more…he’s making the first save so far, but he has yet to really need to scramble to make the second save and he doesn’t have the aura he once did…but again it’s not like Simons has been infallible for Spain.

I won’t be surprised by any outcome. I’m expecting something like what we saw in Qatar only with both teams being much better…but I won’t be shocked if either one falls behind early and just gets pummeled.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
A por ellos

I'll be salty if any team beats us to 4 euros, but I won't hate it if it's a team playing the way you have been so far.

EDIT:
I think I'd play:

Havertz
Wirtz - Gundogan - Musiala
Kroos - Can
Henrichs - Schlotterbeck - Rüdiger - Kimmich
Neuer
Maybe start Beier instead of Ilkay and drop Kai to the 10 to give us more speed in the press?

Last edited:

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
I haven’t been following football in a minute but these seem like the 2 best teams of the tournament so far and one of those games that can go either way. Have to think whoever wins this goes on to win it all.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I haven’t been following football in a minute but these seem like the 2 best teams of the tournament so far and one of those games that can go either way. Have to think whoever wins this goes on to win it all.

Both teams have defensive vulnerabilities and a lack of clinicalness that kept them from being the top favorites before the tourney, but so far both have done a wonderful job covering for their defense with their press & possession, while scoring left & right.

Though even if that does hold up, it wouldn't exactly be a shock to see either of them lose to France/Portugal.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Wirtz again on the bench, with Sane still preferred at RW despite a pretty mediocre (being generous) performance against Denmark. A shame, I was hoping Cucurella would have a challenge today.

Schlotterbeck also swapped out for Jonathan Tah.

Spain unchanged.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Wirtz again on the bench, with Sane still preferred at RW despite a pretty mediocre (being generous) performance against Denmark. A shame, I was hoping Cucurella would have a challenge today.

Schlotterbeck also swapped out for Jonathan Tah.

Spain unchanged.

Also surprising than Can starts and replaces Andrich in the middle. Not sure what to think about Schlotterbeck, maybe Germany doesn't believe that they get many chances by building from back or long range passing.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
There's a good chance that we see a finalist in this game already. In my opinion, these two looked the best so far in this tournament.

Reactions: luiginb

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Also surprising than Can starts and replaces Andrich in the middle. Not sure what to think about Schlotterbeck, maybe Germany doesn't believe that they get many chances by building from back or long range passing.

Can makes sense to me. He's a lot faster than Andrich so that helps compensate for going from Nico to Tah.

I'm guessing Sane is out there for his speed in pressing? :-/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad