Euro: Quarterfinals - France v. Portugal - July 5

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don’t think you can judge Martinez fairly as long as CR7 is holding that team hostage. You can blame Martinez for letting CR7 hold them hostage though

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
The forward that should have been up front, either at CF or partnered with Ronaldo, was Jota. That he barely played, and didn't even see the field against France, was ridiculous. Just terrible management.

Playing Ronaldo was a big problem, but Martinez's issues went well beyond that. Portugal essentially played the entire tournament with an isolated forward who could barely run, jump or shoot anymore, to go with passive, slow, shit build-up that was clearly by design. It was maddening to watch. They made it as far as they did on the strength of their squad and soft bracket.

That is down to him. He's got a youngish squad with great potential but still didn't have the cojones to turn to Ronaldo and say your time is up. I'm going to fashion a side but unfortunately you're not going to be part of it. A decent manager with that talent can fashion a side that plays attractive winning football.

I like what Rangnick has done with Austria esp. with their young midfield and the likes of Seiwald, Prass and Baumgartner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad