Confirmed with Link: Puustinen re-signed, 2 years at $775k AAV

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pono I'm most interested in with a good offseason and coming to camp healthy. I can't imagine they ever envisioned Koivunen going straight from Liiga to the NHL. If he starts in the A and looks good, he'll certainly be on the shortlist for the first call-up once injuries inevitably hit.

Mike Sullivan envisoning any young player making the roster out of camp is a bridge too far. Agreed.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
1715356394915.jpeg

Meanwhile Sully over here all wolverinephotocaress.png with Jansen Harkins and his 45gp 0g 4a,

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
542nd time is the charm, as they say.

Trade Smith for whatever. Find a 4m winger with some snarl. Snarl-Pono-Puus as a 5.5 mil L3. Make it so, numbah one.

I mean, I don't even know why you would want cap given the roster and UFA options.

The Penguins hardly have any assets. They can't trade for any players beyond crap deals.

Might as well invest money into the bottom six and then trade those players for value. Just avoid term.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I’d like to see an in house replacement for Eller as 3C next season and move him to 4C…Yager, Pono, Poulin competition
Hell yeah. Upgrade the top 6 for a change. If Sully's just gonna neuter the bottom 6, push everyone down the depth chart.

Reactions: Andy99

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Mike Sullivan envisoning any young player making the roster out of camp is a bridge too far. Agreed.

I'd love for VK to blow down the doors, but the list of players who make the jump straight from Liiga to NHL isn't exactly long iirc, though I could easily be off base here (I'm not really counting those 14 games here or there over the last couple years, no).

Just avoid term.
Would that it were so simple.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Hell yeah. Upgrade the top 6 for a change. If Sully's just gonna neuter the bottom 6, push everyone down the depth chart.

There isn't really anyone on the market that upgrades the top six.

If we can somehow get a player like Ehlers or another cap casualty, maybe.

Would that it were so simple.

It is that simple. You target players who are looking for a big role and / or you overpay players on a one year deal.

Jason Zucker signed with Arizona for a year.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Smith - Eller - Puusty was adequate enough as a 3 which easily clears the bar of some 3rd lines we've seen them roll out recently. It could turn into an actually decent one if Smith rebounds and Eller maintains which may be a pipe dream.

That being said, sure move Eller to 4c and find a better 3c but if that money can be put to better use elsewhere, I think it could work.
Certainly better than McCann - Jankowski - Sceviour they started with a few years ago.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
He got off to a really hot start, but cooled off significantly.

I don't think he's a bad player, with more consistency I think he could be a solid regular bottom-six player. He's a solid passer and a decent shot, but I don't think he'll ever be a 20 goal guy, probably barely a double digit goal scorer.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

I don't think he's a bad player, with more consistency I think he could be a solid regular bottom-six player. He's a solid passer and a decent shot, but I don't think he'll ever be a 20 goal guy, probably barely a double digit goal scorer.

Good thing we are paying him 775k so if he just hits 20ish points we should be fine.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

He has shown to at least be decent enough defensively to be able to survive in a defensive role plus offer some skill and playmaking talent for the 3rd line. He doesn't need to be a 20 goal guy to be an effective bottom-6 guy.

If he's Dominik Simon with a bit more skill, that's a welcome addition to the 3rd line. So far, he has shown to be that.

Certainly better than McCann - Jankowski - Sceviour they started with a few years ago.

I legitimately forgot Colton Sceviour played for the Penguins :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I think Puustinen could be a solid offensive third liner who plays in the top six in a pinch.

I also think he could end up easily passing through waivers and go to WBS if he has a bad camp.

Reactions: Jacob

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I think ideally Eller is more of a 4C at this point and would love to find a way to upgrade that a bit without spending a ton (easier said than done) but yeah... that's a very solid third line going into next season.
I'd like to see Ponomarev and Poulin both given the opportunity to grab that 3C role out of camp, with Eller being the backup, backup plan. If neither guy can cut it, we can look to 3C with a mid season or deadline trade.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Puustinen could be a solid offensive third liner who plays in the top six in a pinch.

I also think he could end up easily passing through waivers and go to WBS if he has a bad camp.

It's not unheard of for someone in Puustinen's position to clear waivers. Sprong is a terrific example of that, he put up 14 goals and 19 points in 47 games with the Ducks in 2018-2019 and then was put on waivers in September 2019.

I just think that saying he "easily" passes through waivers is a bad take. Could he pass through waivers? Yes, but it's more likely that he wouldn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad