Value of: Puljujarvi ++ for your established winger

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You choose between Gallagher and Drouin and you give us your 2019 1st unprotected on top of Puljujarvi. We can take Sekera as a cap dump to male it work for you guys.

So Drouin/Gallagher
for
2019 1st (unprotected), Puljujarvi and Sekera

The problem with this is that Sekera isn't a cap dump, he's injured and would need to be included for salary purposes, but he has some value. Even if we agreed on what that value is, he still is on his no trade clause anyway, and I doubt he waives it right now.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Oilers are in the same spot with him as Flames are with Bennett. Trade him now and unless a GM sees a lot of potential the return isn't going to offset the chance he develops into what he was drafted for.

Might as well hold on to him

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Pulju <> Burakovsky? The latter had chemistry with McDaniels and has the potential to be a legit sniper

Is this a real suggestion?

Even though Jesse has been disappointing I don't know why anyone would be on board with trading him for a player 3 years older with twice the experience and chance to prove himself in the NHL but is equally disappointing because of "chemistry in Jr.

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Burakovsky but that's a Caggiula and a 4th round pick type of trade not straight up for a big raw 4th overall pick who may end up being a bust but still has time to turn it around.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
You choose between Gallagher and Drouin and you give us your 2019 1st unprotected on top of Puljujarvi. We can take Sekera as a cap dump to male it work for you guys.

So Drouin/Gallagher
for
2019 1st (unprotected), Puljujarvi and Sekera
Top 5 protect the pick and Id do it for Drouin.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I was extremely high on Jesse Puljujarvi and had him at 4th, exactly where he went in the draft. I haven't seen a lot of him since he was drafted but it looks like either I was mistaken or he didn't develop as planned.

Are people really convinced he can't break out in Edmonton?

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
What makes you think that?

Because its true. Guy is 20. Has not even grown into his body yet. Larger players often take longer to develop. There is also the language barrier. To give up on him at this point would be stupid. It may take 1-3 more years for him to really get his s%$# together but a player with his raw talent is worth waiting on.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I wonder if the contract impasse between the leafs and Nylander continues if trading Pulju + for Nylander would be possible?

No. It would not. The Oilers traded away Eberle because he was an over priced, soft, one dimensional scoring winger. Nylander is an upgrade on Eberle but not much and is pretty much the same player. And he will cost even more. The only way the Oil could consider Nylander is if Lucic was going the other way. And there is no way TO would touch that even though Lucic has looked and performed waaay better so far this year.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
With all due respect, there is not a team in the NHL that is going to give up a top six forward for a bust like puljujarvi.

Edmonton took the wrong player at the draft. I still cannot believe they took him over Matt.[/QUOTE]

This is the winner for the worst post of the year. 30 teams would have taken him at 4 including your team. He was the easy and obvious choice.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Is this a real suggestion?

Even though Jesse has been disappointing I don't know why anyone would be on board with trading him for a player 3 years older with twice the experience and chance to prove himself in the NHL but is equally disappointing because of "chemistry in Jr.

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Burakovsky but that's a Caggiula and a 4th round pick type of trade not straight up for a big raw 4th overall pick who may end up being a bust but still has time to turn it around.

Because Burakovsky is better now and has higher sniper potential than Puljujarvi? He is in no way equally disappointing. He's buried on a talented roster and would explode playing top line minutes next to McDavid which Puljujarvi is losing out to Ty freaking Rattie

Only reason caps would do it is cap relief.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Because Burakovsky is better now and has higher sniper potential than Puljujarvi? He is in no way equally disappointing. He's buried on a talented roster and would explode playing top line minutes next to McDavid which Puljujarvi is losing out to Ty freaking Rattie

Only reason caps would do it is cap relief.
FWIW, I'm not sold that Burakovsky would get McDavid time over Rattie either.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I was extremely high on Jesse Puljujarvi and had him at 4th, exactly where he went in the draft. I haven't seen a lot of him since he was drafted but it looks like either I was mistaken or he didn't develop as planned.

Are people really convinced he can't break out in Edmonton?

Ask 10 Oiler fans, and you'll get 10 different takes.

I personally think he's several years away (most guys his size with his tools break out at 25 or 26 if they break out at all. Puljujaarvi is currently 20.

You see he has all these raw tools. Huge frame, blitzing speed, high velocity shot, knows where to get to in the offensive zone, a decent enough defensive game to keep him in the NHL. The problem is, his thinking is maybe half a second too slow right now.

This is who he has the same "tools and pedigree" of and the age these guys broke out:

Blake Wheeler (25)
John Leclair (26)
Todd Bertuzzi (25)
Johan Franzen (27)

Puljujaarvi has a lot missing from his game right now, and most of it is between his ears. Maybe he gets it with experience, or maybe he ends up like Brad Isbister.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Because its true. Guy is 20. Has not even grown into his body yet. Larger players often take longer to develop. There is also the language barrier. To give up on him at this point would be stupid. It may take 1-3 more years for him to really get his s%$# together but a player with his raw talent is worth waiting on.

Fair point.
Though in my eyes the possibility that he ever gets there is really low. To many serious flaws.

We will see.

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
He had 17 points in 7 games in WJC centered by Aho. He seems to be a guy who needs to feel comfortable to gain confidence. Carolina could afford to give up draft picks because they already have lots of young talent, i think it would work out well for all sides if he goes there.

And if he really is that bad as some people claim they can just trade him for Pu.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
He should be in the AHL to help him find himself. There's no shame in that, being with the big club puts pressure on him he don't need. Keeping him and filling his head with too much advice WILL ruin him. Send him down.....let his talent find itself.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
MTL:
Puljujärvi, Jesse
Sekera, Andrej
Oilers 2019 3rd rd pick

EDM:
Armia, Joel
Scherbak, Nikita
Benn, Jordie

Net impact for Edmonton is cap savings (3.813M AAV rather than 6.425M AAV), they get out of a contract on defense quicker (Benn really is just a plug to be your 6/7th D with an expiring contract this year), and get 2 young right-handed right-wingers.

Montreal gets younger, drops a contract, uses its cap space, gets an early 3rd round pick, and hopes Pulju can turn it around whilst having a potential pairing guy for Weber if Sekera ever becomes healthy again.

As much as i like Armia i'd do this if we got a more desirable/younger piece instead of Sekera, like say E. Bear. Would be nice to see Pulju/Kotka/Lehkonen growing up together and pushing each other, could motivate Pulju to put his game together.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Wow. A couple years ago Columbus was laughed at and many people thought Jarmo had lost his mind for passing on Puljujarvi and selecting Pierre Luc Dubois.

Reactions: Andrei79

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad