GDT: PS Game 1: Vegas Golden Knights vs Colorado Avalanche | 17/9 | 19:00 MT

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Bowen, maybe don't have your family come out to Denver. Keep this up and you won't even get your 9 games.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Timmins bumped of the puck behind the net. It's not a big issue but I think he could stand to bulk up his lower body a bit more. He's going to spend a lot of time in the D zone in his role.

This is probably the thing holding him back from making the roster. We will see what Makar did this summer in terms of bulking up, but if you have Girard, Makar, Timmins on your roster....that blueline is soft....especially if it also perhaps features a young Byram for the first few weeks. It will get stronger with age, but I could see them get pushed around some.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
I'd like to see Byram with some decent players instead of people they found at the bus station.

Other than that, thought Timmins looked really good.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jost has set Kaut up for a couple one timers in good scoring spots tonight, that Kaut just refused to take. Wish Kaut would be more engaged in these games. Seems too passive too often and stuck around the perimeter when I watch him.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Real question is why are we drafting these meh guys? Jost and Kaut in particular weren’t locks where we drafted them - what did we see in them that overshadowed this lack of intensity?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's the first preseason game where he's centering two AHL'ers, including one who can't handle the puck whatsoever. Long way to go before I start worrying.

Yeah I don't think Jost played well tonight, but he was pretty far from the worst guy out there.

NHLers tend to ease their way into preseason games, but I do think he should have been more of a presence out there given he's got something to prove.

If he's still not playing well with Kadri and Donskoi then I'll get concerned.

Reactions: Avs_19

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
- I'll be quite disappointed if Meloche and Henry get sent down before playing another preseason game. I thought they played well enough to warrant another game even though they won't make the final roster.

- Timmins was great, which is obviously a fantastic sign to see.

- Everyone else was disappointing, but I gotta say that some of the NHL/AHL tweeners were the most - Megna, Condra, Dries, etc. Was expecting a bit more skill from them.

- Barberio was a good warrior for us during the darks ages, but he's so irrelevant nowadays. Byram playing his first game in the NHL was better and that's sad because Bo was quite terrible lol.

- Some good moments from Mutala and Burzan, definitely do not belong anywhere near this level yet, but there were some good flashes from them.

- I hope whoever is #34 gets cut tonight, he was easily the worst Av on a team who played absolutely terrible.

- Kaut has improved, but you can tell that he isn't ready yet. Don't think he should see a game this season in the NHL, but my opinion might change if he's slotted into a more productive role than on the 1st line.

- I'm on repeat by saying I am a Greer fan, but holy smokes that was a brutal game by a player who needed a good training camp and preseason. He might still make the NHL, but it seems that his top 6 potential is longggggggg gone. Think about if we didn't trade back we would have Carlo.

- Not that Kamenev was even better than Greer either, got muscled about half of his 50/50 puck battles. His defensive game was impressive though.

- I want to see Werner get another start, do not agree with the lot that said he played bad. You had Byram putting the puck in the net on one goal and a brilliant shot by solid goalscorer Pirri on the other.

I think that covers the rest.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Not a whole lot of people from this team will ever play much in the NHL, it was hard to watch.

Meloche made some alright defensive plays, but he is not good enough with the puck. Don't think he'll ever really see NHL time.

Greer is slow and unskilled. Maybe 25 years ago there was a bottom six role for a guy like him, but he is a career AHLer.

Thought Byram got worse as the game went on. Didn't seem to be ready for the level of play. Probably made a huge step tonight toward going back to juniors.

Graves is who he is...a guy with a gun and nothing else. Giveaway machine.

Whoever Jacob MacDonald is, he fought the puck hard all night. Painful to watch. He doesn't seem good to me at any professional level.

Kaut is there physically to play in the NHL, but I don't love his skillset. Would be interesting to see him play with some more talented guys. To me I see a bottom six guy.

Kamnev has some aspects to his play that you like, but I think he tends to not really impact the game that much. Gets destroyed a lot. If we had the old school stantions out there he would have gone off on a stretcher tonight. Holy shit.

Condra has some WTF decision making, but he has some quickness and I see how he would be a good AHLer.

Henry looked alright to me. For a game like this it's more about just evaluating skillset against higher competition, and I think he has a little something there. Puck skill was above pretty much all of the guys without pro experience.

Beaucage...whew. Obviously he's a guy that needs to play with skill players to succeed, but to me #34 magically saved him from being the worst player on the ice. Fought the puck hard, lost every scramble situation, skates with the speed of a giant rock being slowly pushed around the rink.

Jost needs to play with more talented guys to be successful, he is who he is at this point.

Burzan has a little quickness and I could see him potentially in an NHL role way down the road. Interesting prospect.

You can't convince me Timmins doesn't still have top pairing ability when healthy. His decision making and quick little touch passes out of trouble are so f***ing high level. It's going to be really, really hard keeping him off the opening day roster.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Jost had a bad game because he was at C. He just shouldn't be there at the NHL level. He will look much better as a complementary LW.
I think the biggest problem tonight was you had a ton of players playing above their talent level and that was tough to see. I wanted to see some improvement from Jost (more catalyst) in looking like a top 6 player and he didn't deliver, but lets see him with more talent surrounding him.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
- I'm on repeat by saying I am a Greer fan, but holy smokes that was a brutal game by a player who needed a good training camp and preseason. He might still make the NHL, but it seems that his top 6 potential is longggggggg gone. Think about if we didn't trade back we would have Carlo.

Or Travis Dermott. Or freaking Sebastian Aho. They passed on a superstar, a good top four D, and a youngster with good top four D potential with that little trade down, even though it looked smart at the time.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Meloche made some alright defensive plays, but he is not good enough with the puck. Don't think he'll ever really see NHL time.
Don't necessarily agree here, I think Meloche has more outside speed problems than puck skills. Don't get me wrong he'll probably have puck skill inconsistencies for his career, but if Cole can make the NHL with his puck skills I believe Meloche has a chance.

Agreed with everything else you wrote.
Fought the puck hard, lost every scramble situation, skates with the speed of a giant rock being slowly pushed around the rink.
LOL.

Kaut is there physically to play in the NHL, but I don't love his skillset. Would be interesting to see him play with some more talented guys. To me I see a bottom six guy.
Kaut always plays like Chara is going to crosscheque him from behind, he needs to settle down his game when he gets the puck because he's way too jittery/nervous with it. Not sure how high his skillset is, but I do think some of it is hidden because he kind of plays scared. Like he had so much time on the 5v3 and he kept just getting rid of it (I blame Byram more on killing that sequence of the game though).

Or Travis Dermott. Or freaking Sebastian Aho. They passed on a superstar, a good top four D, and a youngster with good top four D potential with that little trade down, even though it looked smart at the time.
Yikes, hindsight is a bad game to play lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad