Post-Game Talk: PS 2 - Niagara Falls.................... - Buffalo 4 BRUINS 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Wednesday, September 27 (Warrior Ice Arena, Brighton, MA)
- Group A practice, 10 a.m.
- Group B practice, 11:45 a.m.
- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to the media following practice

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Now that I have at least seen the highlights, I have two or three observations. We looked extremely slow. Buffalo is a fairly fast team but we looked syrupy slow in every way. Merk has something but looked a step behind mentally.
The first two goals were on Keyser. The minors are calling.
Mitchell is as advertised I think. He has very good offensive awareness, but slow and soft.
Kind of a discouraging game by my scant look at it. Next one I will try to watch, but am on muscle relaxants for a bad back and hip.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sweeney can’t possibly waive Mitchell

It would be crazy

2021 he was Chicago second best prospect and that shit show swallowed all those guys up

Lohrei Mitchell & Poitras attack

Gotta keep these guys
Mitchell played for Monty at Denver, no? Should give him a little bit of an edge given he has successfully played for him and knows what he’s looking for

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Grzelcyk was very good - like a 10 year veteran controlling play

Mitchell was attacking/creating/pushing pace - whatever. He was a pretty high rated prospect with Chicago before that franchise imploded off and on the ice. I hope they keep him up - this performance didn’t surprise me

Lohrei made mistakes but he was impressive and this is going to be interesting to watch

Lohrei improved as the game went on, and he made a couple of nice stickhandling plays in his own zone.

Pasta and Tuukka were in the house(Buff's) this evening.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I liked Mitchell and Beecher quite a bit.

I have seen a couple posters hating on Megna but I thought he played well particularly along the wall. I noticed him working well with Boquist at times. I’m not saying he should make the team but he seems like the type of veteran you could call up and trust with limited minutes to bring a high compete level.

I like Boquist and Heinen but I think Boquist’s versatility might win out if they ended up in a competition for one spot.

I like Steen. Unfortunately unless he goes on a tear in Providence I don’t know that he’ll get another long look. I thought he had a future but it feels like the puck just hasn’t bounced his way. He’s a guy I still pull for but I don’t expect it anymore.

I thought Merkulov looked good at the dot.

I thought Mast and Brunet were the most overwhelmed players tonight.

Reactions: JOKER 192

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The good
The new away jerseys look just like the old home whites and I love them.
Lohrei
Mitchell
Steen

The bad
Everyone else but especially
Lauko
McLaughlin
Chiasson
Megna

There was nothing remotely "especially bad" about Megna and McLaughlin. In fact Toporowski was the worst forward tonight and Mast the worst D man.

Stick to Coyle bashing.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Sweeney can’t possibly waive Mitchell

It would be crazy

2021 he was Chicago second best prospect and that shit show swallowed all those guys up

Lohrei Mitchell & Poitras attack

Gotta keep these guys
He wasn‘t Chicago‘s best prospect in 2021. He was probably their #2-3 D prospect with Beaudin and Kalnyuk at that time, but Lukas Reichel was their #1 guy back then. The knock on Mitchell in Chicago has always been his consistency, size and toughness in the D Zone. He’s always been a good skater who is decent in transition.

Monty knows him. He recruited him to Denver, and coached him his freshman year there. He’s probably our 4th RD depending on how Shattenkirk pans out.

Reactions: Gordoff

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
It's a preseason game, what do you want?

I'm encouraged by lorhei, Mitchell, and Beecher.
Lohrei was okay but he also made a few mistakes. Beecher was better in the first game.

What I want though? A better mix of talent and grit. Not expecting big name vets but this line up (a road line up) was really low on skill. I would have liked to see what Lysell and Poitras could do against a team like this that plays more wide open and checks poorly. For example.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I liked…
Lohrei‘s poise and passing
Mitchell in attack mode
Beecher looking like a pro
McLaughlin’s tenacity
Lauko’s speed
Boqvist’s playmaking
Heinen’s 3rd period
Steen’s determination

I don’t think these guys did themselves any favors…
Merkulov couldn’t really get it going offensively
Toporowski & Kuntar seemed to be chasing the game
Brunet struggled with the pace

OT: Buffalo is going to be this year’s NJ.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Lohrei was okay but he also made a few mistakes. Beecher was better in the first game.

What I want though? A better mix of talent and grit. Not expecting big name vets but this line up (a road line up) was really low on skill. I would have liked to see what Lysell and Poitras could do against a team like this that plays more wide open and checks poorly. For example.
I think you’re supposed to ice a weaker lineup on the road. Give the home town fans some tto cheer for and you get to see how your guys respond to adversity. That said, it was a lineup very low on creativity. I do think they were expecting more from Merkulov. He was very quiet offensively.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I liked…
Lohrei‘s poise and passing
Mitchell in attack mode
Beecher looking like a pro
McLaughlin’s tenacity
Lauko’s speed
Boqvist’s playmaking
Heinen’s 3rd period
Steen’s determination

I don’t think these guys did themselves any favors…
Merkulov couldn’t really get it going offensively
Toporowski & Kuntar seemed to be chasing the game
Brunet struggled with the pace

OT: Buffalo is going to be this year’s NJ.

I agree!

Reactions: HustleB

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
He wasn‘t Chicago‘s best prospect in 2021. He was probably their #2-3 D prospect with Beaudin and Kalnyuk at that time, but Lukas Reichel was their #1 guy back then. The knock on Mitchell in Chicago has always been his consistency, size and toughness in the D Zone. He’s always been a good skater who is decent in transition.

Monty knows him. He recruited him to Denver, and coached him his freshman year there. He’s probably our 4th RD depending on how Shattenkirk pans out.
He was listed 2 overall- Reichel was 1 in Athletic

Attachments

• IMG_5890.png
    IMG_5890.png
    370.3 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I think you’re supposed to ice a weaker lineup on the road. Give the home town fans some tto cheer for and you get to see how your guys respond to adversity. That said, it was a lineup very low on creativity. I do think they were expecting more from Merkulov. He was very quiet offensively.
on that note, I expect them to keep playing Lucic exclusively on the road. would be silly to blow his big return to the Garden on a preseason game.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
They always bring up pace - and Merkulov will need to up this and he should be able to.

His ancillary gsme was good - he won some of the cleanest draws, board play he didn’t get bulldozed over and used angles and stick to win the puck or keep it going till got support- and when he had to the puck good things happened

However without pace you are constantly going to be playing defense and chasing

Monty saw this and flipped Merkulov with Boqvist who pace is not an issue

Immediately his two wingers Heinen & Steen started getting involved

Pace was not an issue for Heinen it was involvement early

Once Boqvist added go rewatch Heinen rest of period - he had a strong period filled with an o zone steal, pushing defense with quickness, good decisions, passing - active around net

Brickley identified this before it happened

Heinen could be cut but today he should have a better chance of making then this time yesterday

To me he’s the third line LW who can jump up as he did early on

He got a thumbs up

I don’t see Poitras sticking

After 2 games I land here

63-13-74
21-18-88
43-11-Geekie
17-Beecher - Lauko
Boqvist

Greer & Steen waived

However both looked good and no problems if stick

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Other than having the ability to watch the bruins up close anywhere in the arena this game was blah for the bruins and the sabres were simply too good for this group of players...

For Buffalo, Levi will help Buffalo make the playoffs, Benson at age 18 might make the team (unbelievable talent - his quick decision making, speed, creativity, and confidence at 18 was fun to watch)

From the list of players that are not NHL regulars...

My standouts for Boston were Lohrei, Mitchell, Boquist, McLaughlin, Steen (much faster he could make the team), Beecher, Lauko

My disappointments for Boston were Merkulov, Kuntar, Mast, Heinen (sorry DKH I was hoping to see more but his minutes were low for good reason - it's time to give prospects NHL love not the Heinens)

My binky was okay ..Topo didn't show up on the scoreboard but he was engaged, strong on his skates, pain in arse to play against, disrupted bunch of plays, and I thought his line had some of the best chances to score.

#1 star - Lohrei (dude played big league minutes for a reason) ... Mitchell was runner up.

Cuts should be Farinacci, Heinen, Kuntar, Merkulov, Brunet, Edward, Mast,
Were the wings and beer good?!
LOL yes "extremely good" ...I did manage to leave the game early & "of course? miss the only Bruin goal but made it to the border before everyone else...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad