GDT: PS #1 // Oilers @ Flames // Sept 17 @ 7 PM MST

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'll be the contrarian and say I didn't mind Aberg's game tonight, you'd like to see more hunger and a certain level of dominance against this level of competition, he played like a player trying not to lose his job rather than a player wanting to win a job, but on the whole he made a lot of safe smart plays and was supporting the puck well. It's a game he played like a vet, just doing the understated things well and keeping mistakes to a minimum, he'll need better performances to keep his spot, but a game like this isn't going to hurt his chances of making the team this early in pre-season.

I think what Bouchard does well is enough for him to make the NHL, it's just about balancing that off against what he does poorly and the youthful mistakes he is bound to make and determining if at the end of the day keeping him here makes sense. A lot to like about Bouchard, not sure if he makes the team this year, but it doesn't seem like it will be a particularly long wait to see him debut in the NHL.

Koskinen was quite bad, goalie performances this early don't carry any weight for me, I just try to look at fundamentals rather than results (I completely ignore the fundamental of rebound control since a lot of goalies dial that in last). The only thing I found somewhat concerning was his puck tracking with his eyes, which I didn't find good and it's one thing that I wouldn't normally attribute to being rusty. Seen way too many good goalies, put up shit performances in pre-season, people need to not get so wound up this early on.

Really liked Gravel's game felt like a really solid low event defensive d-man.

Stanton on the other hand fills a very similar role to Gravel and felt he tried venturing outside of his comfort zone and got burnt more than a few times, one more performance like this and I'd consider cutting him from camp.

Felt Ethan Bear was pretty shakey on the whole, rather poor first two periods, settled down a bit in the 3rd period after his late goal.

Gambardella doesn't strike me as NHL quality, but I liked his hustle out there.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Best GIF I could do for McLeod's pass:

7AAgRmd.gif

Such a ridiculous pass.
McLeod looks like a 2nd round steal so far.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
How does a 6'2 200+ lb speedy skilled center fall to us at 40th? We might have a steal here.
More of a winger than a center.

Has never put up great numbers, apparently his drive wasn't there last year and people doubted him for it.

That said maybe falling out of the first round got him going.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Forgot about Aberg but I'd have a short leash with him. Just cut the players who have no chance to make the roster, I'd be tempted to add Benson to the list but he deserves one game against NHLers.
Oh, forgot about Chaisson. Obviously he'll get several more games at minimum.

I agree about the short leash. I mentioned earlier in the thread that Aberg should have been eating this level of competition for lunch.
He was invisible except for his goal.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Bouchard going towel only for his post game interview like a boss :laugh:

Ain't nobody got time for shirts 'round here.

Reactions: Lrrr

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I didn't see a lot good or bad from Chiasson.

Based on that game I wouldn't say he's in contention for a roster spot.

He didn't stand out positively more than Yamamoto, McLeod or Benson for example... and if he's only the 4th best forward in this game... not good enough really.

Chiasson isn't on the Oilers to play in the top 6. He's good for the 4th line.

Reactions: RalphKing

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think what Bouchard does well is enough for him to make the NHL, it's just about balancing that off against what he does poorly and the youthful mistakes he is bound to make and determining if at the end of the day keeping him here makes sense. A lot to like about Bouchard, not sure if he makes the team this year, but it doesn't seem like it will be a particularly long wait to see him debut in the NHL.

I know it's way too early to be saying this... but there's no way Bouchard isn't one of the Oilers best 6 dmen.

What he does well is easily NHL caliber already and the mistakes he makes... well we see that in half of NHL dmen who are years older than him.

I'm making an early prediction here and most won't agree... but I think he sticks and will play the entire season with the Oilers.

It's a waste to have him play at the Junior level again this year as he's beyond that and he will excel the most by playing at the NHL level... even if it means bottom pairing and some pressbox time (AHL level would be perfect but not possible).

I of course want to see him play more games and maybe my view will change... but I see him as a top 6 dman already.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I know it's way too early to be saying this... but there's no way Bouchard isn't one of the Oilers best 6 dmen.

What he does well is easily NHL caliber already and the mistakes he makes... well we see that in half of NHL dmen who are years older than him.

I'm making an early prediction here and most won't agree... but I think he sticks and will play the entire season with the Oilers.

It's a waste to have him play at the Junior level again this year as he's beyond that and he will excel the most by playing at the NHL level... even if it means bottom pairing and some pressbox time (AHL level would be perfect but not possible).

I of course want to see him play more games and maybe my view will change... but I see him as a top 6 dman already.

I think that would be a mistake. He is as advertised offensively but a little shaky defensively and that will be magnified against real NHL pros.

The Oilers have a good player here, but the dumbest most Oiler-like thing to do would be to rush him into the NHL now.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Chiasson isn't on the Oilers to play in the top 6. He's good for the 4th line.

I realize that... I just didn't see anything standout about his game. Is he one of the best 14 forwards for this team?

I guess we'll have to see... but with players like Yamamoto and Benson looking better than him I don't know if there's going to be room for him.

There's going to be quite a logjam for the 4th line and 13/14 forwards.

I count about 15 Oiler forwards I'd have ahead of Chiasson on the roster at this point (only Caggiula I think I'd have behind him but I have a decidedly anti-Caggiula bias ;))

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think that would be a mistake. He is as advertised offensively but a little shaky defensively and that will be magnified against real NHL pros.

The Oilers have a good player here, but the dumbest most Oiler-like thing to do would be to rush him into the NHL now.

Liked your post because I agree with your sentiment and nothing you said is wrong... but I still feel he's an NHL level dman... mistakes and all.

Some players are just that good though that it makes sense to keep them up and they advance the most by playing at the NHL level.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I realize that... I just didn't see anything standout about his game. Is he one of the best 14 forwards for this team?

I guess we'll have to see... but with players like Yamamoto and Benson looking better than him I don't know if there's going to be room for him.

There's going to be quite a logjam for the 4th line and 13/14 forwards.

I count about 15 Oiler forwards I'd have ahead of Chiasson on the roster at this point (only Caggiula I think I'd have behind him but I have a decidedly anti-Caggiula bias ;))
even if Chiasson isn't better than Yammamoto or benson, he can sit in the press box as the 13/14th forward while they get playing time in the AHL.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
People commenting on Koskinen remind me of the posts on Yamamoto in prospects game , one game does not determine nothing everyone was writing off Yamamoto this season and here he is with a 4 point games , lets wait till end of preseason before jumping the gun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad