Providing context on the different situation between McDavid and Giguère winning the Conn Smythe

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Some are dogging McDavid for not coming out to accept the Conn Smythe, bringing up how past winners in a losing effort came out to accept it, and labeling him as disgracing and embarrassing the game.

I went back to take a look at the situation when Giguère won it.

Within 1 minute and 20 seconds after the clock ticked to zero, Giguère seems to be told on camera that he would be awarded the Conn Smythe trophy. Even if he wasn’t, what follows made for a very different build up.

A few minutes pass while the Devils celebrate and the Ducks wait in defeat, for the traditional handshake to ensue.

Immediately after the traditional handshake between the two teams, Bettman announces that Giguère is the winner of the Conn Smythe. I’m talking within seconds of the final handshakes.

Our example from last night sees McDavid skate over to begin shaking hands 2 minutes 3 seconds after the clock hits zero. I saw no evidence last night, or looking through it again today, that he was told he might need to stick around to accept the potential award. The hand shaking and congratulating from the Oilers goes on for at least another two minutes.

More minutes pass before Bettman finally announces the Conn Smythe winner, long after McDavid and the Oilers have cleared the ice for the new champions.

We just don’t know the behind the scenes or why it took so long for the NHL to get their shit together directly after Florida won. There was a lot more structure then, that’s for sure.

Last edited:

tabness

will play for 4 million 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
1719348920029.png

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Doesn't matter what he does people will complain, had he come out and accepted it people would be saying he should be happier about winning it or that he should have declined.

Same people will complain no matter what happens.
People just wait to attack him. If he accepts it, he is a glory hog, stealing the Panthers thunder and only cares about personal awards.

tabness

will play for 4 million 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Guys like Crosby or Yzerman would have swallowed the bitter pill and showed up.

I would hope Yzerman did exactly the same thing as McDavid and not show up.

if you giving the Conn Smythe to a losing player present it to them in the lockeroom and make an announcement if you want, bushleague NHL literally embarrassing a player at a very tough time.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Guys like Crosby or Yzerman would have swallowed the bitter pill and showed up.

Maybe back in the day. Dude is self aware enough to know it would be a hockey meme for the next decade or more.

Anyone who walks out to accept that award on a losing team is an idiot.

Reactions: LT

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Would they?
Yep.
I think McDavid made the right move. Why go out, interrupt the Cup celebration, and then possibly get booed off the ice by the home crowd?
Initially it rubbed me the wrong way but I'm okay with it now no one wants to see a crushed 97 handed a trophy he has doesn't care about in that moment.

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
Have to admit, this one is a riot. All things considered, it’s going to be an amusing year.
He needs surgery as he’s been playing with that injury all year. Makes his year more impressive and explains needing 100 assists to replenish lost goals production. Hopefully fully healthy to begin next year. 160-170 is doable if so. Fans of the game want to see it since it was semi stolen this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad