Prospect Info: Prospect tournament 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
In all seriousness these tournaments are fun, some of these kids will be in the NHL, some might turn into All-Stars, most will likely get a couple cups of coffee.

To me, Geekie for Tampa was the best player today. Lightning have a great prospect in him. Canes have the better overall talent but lots of mistakes were made, lots of lost puck battles. FUS and Blake have great potential.

On to tomorrow!

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Well, we're not the only ones showing our asses on defense. WTF was that pass Tampa? Gunler ENG.

And Lavoie gets ENG #2 from the d zone.

the pass was so bad on gunler's goal, the goalie was still on the ice. i don't think i've ever seen that - would it technically count against the goalie as a missed save? like the goalie getting lost in the corner on a dump in and having a puck take a bounce out front for a tap in?

he may have been close enough to the bench they called it an empty netter if his replacement was on, i guess.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
the pass was so bad on gunler's goal, the goalie was still on the ice. i don't think i've ever seen that - would it technically count against the goalie as a missed save? like the goalie getting lost in the corner on a dump in and having a puck take a bounce out front for a tap in?

he may have been close enough to the bench they called it an empty netter if his replacement was on, i guess.
Good point, it does technically count against the goalie. But that's part of why coaches keep their own notes, they'll treat that as an empty netter just like they treat goals scored 2 seconds after the PP ends as powerplay goals.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
In all seriousness these tournaments are fun, some of these kids will be in the NHL, some might turn into All-Stars, most will likely get a couple cups of coffee.

To me, Geekie for Tampa was the best player today. Lightning have a great prospect in him. Canes have the better overall talent but lots of mistakes were made, lots of lost puck battles. FUS and Blake have great potential.

On to tomorrow!
Had to leave at 3-3. Nadeau quiet tonight?

Blake has improved physically and that may give him an edge over Nadeau this year.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Blake was very impressive early on too.
I think FUS thinks the game better. Blake was trying to do too much himself, he had a lot of plays where he tried to make cute plays to himself off the board while breaking into the zone or deke past players. Sometimes it worked, but often he had help available but was trying to do it himself. FUS was working with his teammates much better. No real surprise, he's a pass first guy naturally. Blake, to me, read as a guy who was used to being so far above everyone else on his team that he's used to doing everything himself, and that won't work in the NHL. I think he'd benefit from more time at the pro level learning to use his teammates better. Very clear he's got the physical tools, but I'm not sure his game is ready to translate.

FUS? Clearly knows how to use his support, and was at many points in the game limited by his support not having the same talent level, but he looks like a guy whose game can translate. Which, seeing how close he was to making the team out of camp last year, probably makes him the favorite out of him, Nadeau and Blake to make the roster.

All that said, it was only one game, and against mostly AHL/ECHL talent. We'll see.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
All that said, it was only one game, and against mostly AHL/ECHL talent. We'll see.
Yep, that's the important part to remember. None of these guys may truly be NHL ready, but we'll have to wait and see.

Blake and Nadeau (who is only 160lbs) have never played against fully grown men in a professional league. FUS isn't much bigger either, but at least has played against men overseas, although on a larger rink and we saw him in camp last year almost make the team.

Of all our "rookies" that made the squad early in the last 10 or so years:

- Aho not only played in a men's pro league 1 year after draft before coming over, he dominated in the league.
- Svech made it in his draft year, but he was also 6'2", 192lbs and was top 10 in many of the draft combine tests and had the pedigree of a top 2 pick. Still, he started on the 3rd line for most of the season.
- Necas came from a pro league, but still had a season in Czech pro league and a season in the AHL before making the jump.
- Drury played 2 college years, 1 year in SWE and 1.5 years in the AHL.
- Jarvis played 1 more WHL year before making the jump, but had a few healthy scratches that first year IIRC. He also was a top 15 pick.

We don't know if these guys are NHL ready or not, but they don't have the pedigree of any of the guys listed above, so they'd have to have a "Jarvis" like showing at camp.

The other guy to consider is Suzuki, if he can stay healthy.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Yep, that's the important part to remember. None of these guys may truly be NHL ready, but we'll have to wait and see.

Blake and Nadeau (who is only 160lbs) have never played against fully grown men in a professional league. FUS isn't much bigger either, but at least has played against men overseas, although on a larger rink and we saw him in camp last year almost make the team.

- Aho not only played in a men's pro league 1 year after draft before coming over, he dominated in the league.
- Svech made it in his draft year, but he was also 6'2", 192lbs and was top 10 in many of the draft combine tests and had the pedigree of a top 2 pick. Still, he started on the 3rd line for most of the season.
- Necas came from a pro league, but still had a season in Czech pro league and a season in the AHL before making the jump.
- Jarvis played 1 more WHL year before making the jump, but had a few healthy scratches that first year IIRC. He also was a top 15 pick.

We don't know if these guys are NHL ready or not, but they don't have the pedigree of any of the guys listed above, so they'd have to have a "Jarvis" like showing at camp.

The Canes may also be still talking to the Leafs about Nick Robertson, though I think Columbus will be the team that acquires him in the end. The prospect who seems the most NHL-ready is FUS.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Yep. FUS and Suzuki are the two I'm looking at for that reason. From a talent standpoint I think Nadeau or even Blake might have a higher upside than either (especially Suzuki) but FUS is right up there from a talent standpoint as well with that year of high level pro experience to go with it.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad